Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

What's the variability in excess deaths look like from year to year? Standard Deviation? Never dug deep on this, but off the top of my head I've never loved the idea of the excess deaths measurement.

A quick google search found this but I don’t know the source of the data so take with a grain of salt...

2018 - total US death were 2,839,205 or 7,779 deaths per day
2019 - total US deaths were 2,855,000 or 7,808 deaths per day
2020 - total US deaths so far is 2,033,745 or 7,588 deaths per day

Miss Bella

I don't think the physicians have any incentive to bring in Covid patients, but keep in mind hospitals are for profit even if they are non-profit. I've seen many questionable Covid admissions, but then again I work for healthcare system that has had a history of medicare fraud and a CEO with an eight figure salary.
Just to add to my own post. My previous employer a different corporation had to pay 514 million to the DOJ for kickback fraud. The hospital I worked at the medical director got fired for writing narcotic prescriptions to nurses in exchange for sex. You can’t make this stuff up.
I have no knowledge of Covid fraud except for rumors . Maybe well find out in a few years. There is whistleblower protection for healthcare workers.
Im not sure why people think these big healthcare conglomerates are models of integrity. They are just like every other corporation.

hopemax

What's the variability in excess deaths look like from year to year? Standard Deviation? Never dug deep on this, but off the top of my head I've never loved the idea of the excess deaths measurement.
This link has a chart for 2017-2020

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I wonder how this would impact their ability to get removed from other states' quarantine lists if the change goes through. It's possible that reporting once a week instead of daily might make some governors reluctant to remove them since, as you said, the lag could delay any potential response to an increase in cases. I know NY and NJ only update their list weekly (I think they use Tuesday as the end of the reporting period to determine who is on or off their list), but if FL decides to publish their report on Friday, for example, then there will always be a lag between the reported numbers and when a decision is made about their status on the list.

Not getting off that list...anytime soon. Think maybe April. Maybe.

They have to have a rolling average below 2,147...they were are 2,342 last week before I gave up watching.

Now they’re at 2,711...up 20% over the last two weeks.

And on the upswing.

But I honestly can’t read the back and forth on this thread...what is the question? I hope it’s not “hope” of going unrestricted to Florida from the northeast, Canada or Europe in a near timeframe??
I’m surprised it took him this long to try and push this through.

Just in time for November.
I figured they were gonna try to fake the numbers months ago...sorry, just being honest.

So this doesn’t surprise. But they’re probably gonna screw that up too.

JoeCamel

They have to have a rolling average below 2,147...they were are 2,342 last week before I gave up watching.

And on the upswing.

But I honestly can’t read the back and forth on this thread...what is the question? I hope it’s not “hope” of going unrestricted to Florida from the northeast, Canada or Europe in a near timeframe??

I figured they were gonna try to fake the numbers months ago...sorry, just being honest.

Gee, I wonder what happened three weeks ago??? Do you think it may be responsible for the 20% increase in cases? If we are 20% more cases do we go back to stage 2?
\s
I know the answers and it is sad.

eta: it is like a blind man could see this coming.

matt9112

yes. Most Californians are happy with the steps newsom is taking at this time. (of course you may hear different things from different perspectives) He Rushed everything open in May and we paid the price for it in June/July. Here on the Disney boards, of course people want DL to open, but overall, disney being open isn't a priority for many here in CA.

I agree but we could go down a LONG rabbit hole about how sane Californian priorities are 🤣🤣

Touchdown

It’s simply maddening to continue to see false information continually be placed on this thread over and over again, I’m done.

Enjoy your fantasy where this virus is a hoax, or it’s simply the flu, or we are about to turn the corner. We have an absolutely terrible 2-3 months coming that could become longer if we don’t do a 180 on public policy in this country. If a vaccine happens, it won’t get to most people until summer 2021 at the earliest. Sadly, the bloodbath that will occur this winter I think will silence much of the anti vaxxer support.

For those of you who think I’m wrong, my colleagues and I will try to prevent the virus from killing you when you get it, assuming we have a hospital bed to put you in. You have a 5% chance of needing to be hospitalized if you get it. So next time you see new cases in your area divide by 20; that’s how many people from that day will need to be hospitalized.

For the last time, stop going to restaurants and bars, stop going to large public gatherings, and for the sake of humanity wear a mask.

GimpYancIent

And on the upswing.

The people movement is southward not northward. NY / NJ can post all the worthless lists they want.

GimpYancIent

It’s simply maddening to continue to see false information continually be placed on this thread over and over again, I’m done.

Enjoy your fantasy where this virus is a hoax, or it’s simply the flu, or we are about to turn the corner. We have an absolutely terrible 2-3 months coming that could become longer if we don’t do a 180 on public policy in this country. If a vaccine happens, it won’t get to most people until summer 2021 at the earliest. Sadly, the bloodbath that will occur this winter I think will silence much of the anti vaxxer support.

For those of you who think I’m wrong, my colleagues and I will try to prevent the virus from killing you when you get it, assuming we have a hospital bed to put you in. You have a 5% chance of needing to be hospitalized if you get it. So next time you see new cases in your area divide by 20; that’s how many people from that day will need to be hospitalized.

For the last time, stop going to restaurants and bars, stop going to large public gatherings, and for the sake of humanity wear a mask.
Yes, WEAR A MASK unless you are by yourself, wash hands frequently and avoid large gatherings (particularly in enclosed spaces). Yes COVID19 is an equal opportunity infector and a large closely gathered group of people w out masks in an opportunity to rapidly spread. That said, I find the vast majority of people are mindful and respectful of each other and do social distance, wear masks, wash hands etc. etc. etc. hence I see a mild flu season and do not see this catastrophic COVID19 surge. The numbers ebb and flow constantly rising and falling. The long term trend is not supporting a "SURGE". The U.S. does not have an exclusive on COVID19 and the fluctuations are very obvious.

UpAllNight

I don’t see any value in staying onsite right now. I rebooked from May this year to May next. If it goes ahead, I’m paying full price for a watered down version of the experience. I know there‘s bigger issues out there, And I’ll be glad if it actually goes ahead at all, but I definitely feel I’m paying full price for little benefit.

If given the option I’d switch to international drive, save £4000 and stay on Disney when they reinstate some benefits.

Chip Chipperson

Sure and those travelers are self reporting themselves to the authorities upon return.

Some don't have a choice if their employer won't allow them back to work and they can't work from home or their kids' school will require them to do remote learning for 2 weeks upon return. And still others (like my wife and me) wouldn't be able to see any family for 2 weeks due to not wanting to potentially expose them to anything we may have caught while in FL. Not everyone from NJ is a jerk, despite our reputation.

Heppenheimer

Currently, wait for Ski season when all the Northern Expats congregate. I like snow where it belongs, it either lasts a day or so or stays on the TV where it belongs.
20201017_092907.jpg

Speaking of which, here's what I woke up to this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom