Walt Disney World Park Hours cut starting September 8 2020

joup7

Just caught up on the last 10 pages. Here are some thoughts.

Not everybody remembered it was a holiday weekend.....: i went to universal and it was at capacity by 2, if not sooner.

I like the increase in hours to match demand. I get why Hollywood studios isn’t adding hours. They can’t add any more capacity because they know their ride lines are already out of control in terms of size so why add hours. I think if shows start opening up and they see smaller lines, then they will add hours and capacity.

In regards to schools reopening and not having an influx of cases......I’m a middle school teacher in Tampa. Not many parents at my school are getting their kid tested. We had a parent show up to sign out their kid and then discovered the parent knowingly had covid. I’ve had 0 kids quarantined or reported positive. I have had 10% of my roster out multiple days this week after complaining about not feeling well. One kid was absent all week, don’t know why. I had a kid miss an entire week with what mom said was “severe allergies”, and the kid when he returned told me that he couldn’t stay with his family because they didn’t want him to get them sick and miss work (from allergies!!!). Parents don’t want their kid quarantined for 2 weeks and don’t want the school to shut down so they aren’t getting the kids tested. If we had mandatory daily testing of students (never gonna happen) I think Florida’s caseload and positive rate would be at least double, if not more.

ImperfectPixie

Not everybody remembered it was a holiday weekend.....: i went to universal and it was at capacity by 2, if not sooner.

I like the increase in hours to match demand. I get why Hollywood studios isn’t adding hours. They can’t add any more capacity because they know their ride lines are already out of control in terms of size so why add hours. I think if shows start opening up and they see smaller lines, then they will add hours and capacity.

In regards to schools reopening and not having an influx of cases......I’m a middle school teacher in Tampa. Not many parents at my school are getting their kid tested. We had a parent show up to sign out their kid and then discovered the parent knowingly had covid. I’ve had 0 kids quarantined or reported positive. I have had 10% of my roster out multiple days this week after complaining about not feeling well. One kid was absent all week, don’t know why. I had a kid miss an entire week with what mom said was “severe allergies”, and the kid when he returned told me that he couldn’t stay with his family because they didn’t want him to get them sick and miss work (from allergies!!!). Parents don’t want their kid quarantined for 2 weeks and don’t want the school to shut down so they aren’t getting the kids tested. If we had mandatory daily testing of students (never gonna happen) I think Florida’s caseload and positive rate would be at least double, if not more.
This is my big worry. I trust the school. I trust the teachers. I don't trust other parents as far as I can throw them.

Basil of Baker Street

I'm a parent. I wasn't feeling well last Monday. When I got home, my wife called our daughters teacher and told her I had symptoms. She was asked to send an email to her and copy the principal. Next morning all 3 or us stay home, I go get a 15 minute rapid test. Negative. I get the clinic to give me a copy saying that I'm negative for my kid to take to school with her. Simple.

legwand77

agree on the hours for HS, if they increase hours there might make It worse

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Correct , I didn’t include them because they allow a negative test to skip quarantine
I know a lot of people who wouldn’t want to have to get tested and especially have their kids tested. It was a big issue with schools re-opening. Some people wanted to use a negative test instead of quarantine to return to school but many people don’t want to have to go somewhere and get in line with potentially Covid positive people to get a test if their kids don’t have symptoms. Same would apply to getting a test for travel. Plus there’s a psychological aspect. If I’m traveling somewhere that the government thinks is enough of a hot spot to require either a quarantine or a test then maybe I don’t want to go there. Lots of people rely heavily on the government to tell them what to do.

RSoxNo1

As far as capacity this should be of note, Miami Dolphins are cleared to have a full stadium of 65000 fans if they choose (next home games will only be 13000) , as do all other stadiums in Florida, this would also apply to the parks being allowed full capacity. Desantis lifted all restrictions early this week but is making it more clear. Disney will not move that fast to lift capacity limits even more until travel restrictions are lifted from other states and international locations. It is all in Disney hands now though. I could see Universal/ Sea World ramping it up quicker though.

13000 is double their average attendance last year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw my first Holiday WDW commercial today up in PA during NFL coverage on FOX (I don’t count Disney Chanel which runs almost continuous ads). Pre-Covid they would have already ramped these types of ads up by this time of year but it could be a sign that WDW hasn’t totally given up on a holiday crowd bump. I could just be reading into it, but it’s the first sign I’ve seen that there was really any hope for attracting tourists in. If you have thrown in the towel then why spend money on advertising. I’m not sure if that was a local ad or across the national coverage.

Unbanshee

I saw my first Holiday WDW commercial today up in PA during NFL coverage on FOX (I don’t count Disney Chanel which runs almost continuous ads). Pre-Covid they would have already ramped these types of ads up by this time of year but it could be a sign that WDW hasn’t totally given up on a holiday crowd bump. I could just be reading into it, but it’s the first sign I’ve seen that there was really any hope for attracting tourists in. If you have thrown in the towel then why spend money on advertising. I’m not sure if that was a local ad or across the national coverage.

Was it this one?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Was it this one?

Yep, that’s the one. It‘s pretty well done and obviously highlights people still having fun despite wearing masks. Not sure how successful it will ultimately be, but a pretty decent effort given the tough situation.

Dan Deesnee

That's a pretty good commercial. Hopefully it also means they'll do more decorating for Christmas than they have for Halloween.

I must admit that I'm sad Animal Kingdom (likely) won't be decked out for the holidays like it was last year. We loved the beautiful decorations they put up on the buildings, especially at night when they lit up, and the cool large puppet animals walking around.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's a pretty good commercial. Hopefully it also means they'll do more decorating for Christmas than they have for Halloween.

I must admit that I'm sad Animal Kingdom (likely) won't be decked out for the holidays like it was last year. We loved the beautiful decorations they put up on the buildings, especially at night when they lit up, and the cool large puppet animals walking around.
My favorites for the holidays are the Christmas tree in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge, the ginger bread houses at GF, the giant wreath on the side of CR and the MK Main Street decorations. I don’t know if/when Wilderness Lodge will open, but I would assume GF will still have ginger bread houses and CR will have all their normal decorations. They did say MK would have a castle projection show and decorations even without the night show, parades or MVMCP.

CF335D4C-7C25-4D1E-BB8D-7B834C04C00F.jpeg

C34DE43D-2AD7-4BAB-A174-80D154259FC6.jpeg

12150B73-9926-4E5D-B871-AB57823767FB.jpeg

ImperfectPixie

My favorites for the holidays are the Christmas tree in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge, the ginger bread houses at GF, the giant wreath on the side of CR and the MK Main Street decorations. I don’t know if/when Wilderness Lodge will open, but I would assume GF will still have ginger bread houses and CR will have all their normal decorations. They did say MK would have a castle projection show and decorations even without the night show, parades or MVMCP.

View attachment 504687
View attachment 504686
View attachment 504685
I thought it was noted someplace on these forums that the gingerbread houses were a no-go for this year. 🙁

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member

View attachment 504687
View attachment 504686
View attachment 504685
Sadly, the giant Mickey wreath at CR hasn't been up for at least five years. I'm still bummed about it... :(

nickys

Premium Member

View attachment 504687
View attachment 504686
View attachment 504685
Wilderness Lodge is open, it isn’t like Jambo. The regular rooms aren’t but there are two DVC resorts open and most things at WL are also open. Only Artist Point and maybe Roaring Fork are closed. So there will be a tree there as usual.

Lilofan

View attachment 504687
View attachment 504686
View attachment 504685
A unique ritual some guests do wearing their pajamas is stay up all night in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge drinking coffee to stay awake while the big Christmas tree and the lobby gets decorated with Christmas cheer.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
A unique ritual some guests do wearing their pajamas is stay up all night in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge drinking coffee to stay awake while the big Christmas tree and the lobby gets decorated with Christmas cheer.
This sounds like a tall tale as the decoration date varies and is not given to the general public.

As someone who has been there during decorating season, it is much more magical to go to sleep one night and awaken the next morning to a fully decorated Lodge. :happy:

Lilofan

This sounds like a tall tale as the decoration date varies and is not given to the general public.

As someone who has been there during decorating season, it is much more magical to go to sleep one night and awaken the next morning to a fully decorated Lodge. :happy:
It's real and not a tall tale. Fellow guests have commented when the decorators show up it is an event for the lucky ones that are staying in the hotel. Some want to fall asleep and wake up to the magic. Some want to stay up all night and see the magic brought to life in front of their eyes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom