Trip Report Mask up for the August Alternate 2020 Trip

Hello friends! My husband and I just got back about a week ago from our WDW trip, it was strange, hot, fun, and in a way unexpected. I'll start with some quick details:

Who: Me (Am) and my husband (Brad)
When: August 6-20, 2020
Resort: Pop Century (was scheduled for All Star Sports)

Let me explain my title a little: We were scheduled to travel to WDW in June the 21st through July 5. It was going to be epic.....we would be there over our birthdays, 15th wedding anniversary, and had a couple of Magic meetups planned. That trip didn't happen. While planning our trips at home I always come up with some sort of title for our trips to give it a little excitement. Well, shortly after the shut down in March, about 2 weeks after the parks closed I had a feeling that my June trip wouldn't happen so hubs and I looked at the calendar and figured out a date when we could go to WDW, we had to plan around some of his church activities (all got cancelled) and a girls trip to California for me (cancelled too). So in late March I booked a two week stay at the Sports. But all while planning including the frustrating day in June to get park reservations and the day I cancelled June/July I was never able to build up much excitement for this August trip. So I always stayed labeled in my planning things as the August Alternate trip, how generic! So I had hope that the trip would happen but I was convinced something would happen and we wouldn't be able to go.

Fast forward to the first week of August, days before leaving. I get an email from my boss (principal) asking what my travel dates to Florida were so they could be consistent on teachers traveling and returning back to work. My return date was 4 days before I would start back to work for inservice so no time to quarantine if he asked me to! Ugh! I couldn't lie to my boss and I couldn't ignore his email. Well he didn't ask me to quarantine but he did ask that I get a Covid test upon my return and then quarantine if needed or until my results came back. He asked if I wanted to come in an work a day so that if something happened I would have had time to work to get my classroom ready and he said I could bank it as a day worked so I wouldn't have to use a day if I did quarantine. So that's what I did. In a way it was surreal to be back working in my room, which was the day before we left for WDW. As I was working in my room that day I had a flash, the last day I worked a full day in my classroom was before I went to WDW in March! Whoa! So with a fully day of work banked, suitcases packed, it looked like our Alternate trip was really happening!

*Spoiler alert: my Covid test came back negative, it was probably too early to take it when I came back but it satisfied my boss. Also neither of us have had any symptoms of Covid upon return so looks like we might have stayed safe.

Okay, let's begin......

August 6, 2020

Our flight out of Minneapolis left at 8:20 am so our plan was to wake up around 4 am get ready and drive to the airport. Who sleeps before a trip! We were up around 3am but we didn't leave until around 4:15am. I got a great parking deal at a Park n Fly for our two week park that was like $7 a day so much cheaper than the small airport lot at $15 a day! Does anyone remember the old WDW information station that used to play the song "I'm Going to Disney World"? I have that song and usually play it on the way to the airport and I played it as we pulled into the Park N Fly lot. I didn't play it before I didn't want to jinx us!

The airport was really strange, usually it is such a hub bub of activity but today it was so strange because there weren't many people. Security was a walk up and we were through in less than 2 minutes! We got breakfast at the Caribou Coffee near our gate and spent time just relaxing in our masks waiting. Our flight was on Delta and they did a great job on the flight. When we boarded we were handed wipes to wipe our area, they reminded people about masks, and during flight we were handed a snack pack in a plastic bag with water,chocolate covered pretzels, cheez-its, napkin and hand sanitizer. The middle seat was empty so we had our own row and Brad watched Star Wars something and I watched the Downton Abbey movie (I'd rewatched the series before leaving so this pleased me to rewatch movie too).

The airport in Minneapolis.
IMG_5058.JPG

Flights on time, and plane is here! It's happening! It's really happening!
IMG_5059.JPG

Waiting at the gate
IMG_5060.JPG

On the plane, looking out! Different from my last flight in March. No snow on the ground this time!
IMG_5062.JPG

Ready for flight!
IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

And we've made it to Orlando!!! Again the airport was pretty empty and we had to retrieve our own luggage this time.
IMG_5065.JPG

And here we are at Magical Express, not too many people in line. I think when we came in March this is where we started our line up to check in.
IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

There was a sign that said our wait could be an hour and the ME agent said that too but from check in to the bus pulling away it was less than 20 minutes which is shorter than some of the pre-Covid trips we have had.
IMG_5068.JPG

Coming up: arrival at WDW and will there be tears?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We love it! When we watched the most recent episode with the gorillas, we looked through our old AK pictures to see if we could find one with Gino. J said we just need to be bold next time we're there and ask the CMs the names of the animals.

I should check my old pictures too. But I do want to spend more time at AK enjoying the animals. I don't know if that will happen next trip though because we aren't scheduled to have too much time there.

dizfan917

I do enjoy your reports! Thanks for posting them.

I've always been a fan of the AK. I think the themeing is absolutely spot on and truly transports me. Plus, it's so lush and unlike SE WI. I don't play the "favorites" game too much, but AK just might be near the top for me if I did...

How's life "up north"?!! are the fall colors near their peak yet? It's still VERY green around here. :geek: 🐄 🧀

Minnesota disney fan

The statue's feet you mentioned at AK? We always, always get our picture taken at that statue, or if we are without family, we take it of each other. However, the last time, there was a great big line at "our" picture spot and you had to use a PPP for it. We don't buy that package, so we sadly passed it by. :(

Sulley_1313

August 11, 2020

Our safari was good and the driver was pleasant. I remember seeing a lot of animals but I wasn't too into taking pictures I guess. After the safari we walked the Gorilla Falls trail which was enjoyable. Has anyone been watching the Nat Geo show about Animal Kingdom on Disney+? We've been enjoying it and it makes me itchy to go back to AK and observe the animals a little more, especially after this week's show and the gorillas.

I love the new Animal Kingdom show! My mom and I will be back in about two weeks and added an extra day at AK to hopefully take more time to observe the animals. It really is such a special park.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The statue's feet you mentioned at AK? We always, always get our picture taken at that statue, or if we are without family, we take it of each other. However, the last time, there was a great big line at "our" picture spot and you had to use a PPP for it. We don't buy that package, so we sadly passed it by. :(

A like for the tradition of getting a picture by that statue but a "sad" for not getting it the last time.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I love the new Animal Kingdom show! My mom and I will be back in about two weeks and added an extra day at AK to hopefully take more time to observe the animals. It really is such a special park.

Have fun when you go back! Say hi to Gino! I agree AK is a special park and I'm growing to love it more with each trip. My husband is still a little "meh" about it. I have a solo trip planned for April so I think I will be able to savor it a bit more then.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

Magic Kingdom today! We were on the first bus from the Pop and had a short wait at security and the tapstiles before entering the park. We took a little time around the castle to do a few pictures before heading to Big Thunder for three rides before moving to Splash Mt.

IMG_6261.JPG
IMG_6266.JPG
IMG_6272.JPG
IMG_6274.JPG
IMG_6280.JPG
IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG

Back row!
IMG_6288.JPG

We rarely go on Splash Mt, usually only if we are celebrating Frontierland Friday. Neither of us like to get wet on rides. But Disney had announced that Splash was closing for a redo soon(?) and I heard that the splash factor was toned down because of Covid and that masks shouldn't get wet. So we were assigned our boat and I should have known better than to get in front. But the girl getting out of the log in front of us was bone dry and I was relieved so I didn't think the front would be an issue and I didn't have Brad get out my poncho. So we were travelling along and pass the point where the boat comes down the hill and the water cannon/splash goes off and that water got me! UGH! Hair was wet (not pleasant but I can deal), my shirt was went and worse my shorts were soaked on the side the water had splashed. Brad was dry. I made him pass me the poncho and I shrugged it on, I wasn't taking any more chances. And I tried to enjoy the ride because I knew I wouldn't be coming back again until Tianna and friends take over and then if it is still splashing people I might be in a full rain gear. At least my shoes and socks didn't get wet, that would have been the worst.

This is right before I got wet.
IMG_6292.JPG
IMG_6293.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

After getting wet on Splash I needed to air dry and hopefully quickly so we headed to Big Thunder for a speedy dry cycle. It helped my hair and top but not my shorts so much, that needed more time.

IMG_6304.JPG

B and I headed to Pirates but we were starting to cross the bridge and I heard calvacade music start to play and in my head I was thinking "it sure would be great to see Mickey". Then I realized it was Mickey but if I didn't hurry he would pass by the point where I would be able to see him easily and maybe get a picture. Now, I do not run (and of course I would never run at Disney, it is against the rules), but apparently I "run" for Mickey! I scampered as quickly as I could without doing a full sprint and just caught up with the float just in time. Brad said it was funny to watch me scamper, and it was what he reported as his funniest thing of the day.
IMG_6308.JPG

Not the best of me and Mickey but thanks for the pose Pluto!!!
IMG_6309.JPG
IMG_6311.JPG

Then a trip to the Caribbean, and guess who got wet on this ride?!?!
Not me!! Brad's shorts and hair got splashed from one of the cannons. HAHAH!

IMG_6317.JPG

In the gift shop at the end of Pirates Brad got a new Jungle Cruise skipper hat so he wanted his picture taken.
IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6321.JPG

Main Street is mine! (And the guy in the background, probably wondering what the crazy lady sitting on the ground is doing). I've gotten this empty-ish shot before but usually about an hour after closing time, never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get this empty of a shot mid-day/morning in the middle of August!
IMG_6324.JPG

Then we returned to the Jungle Cruise.
IMG_6328.JPG

Full moon!
IMG_6341.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

After the Jungle Cruise we treated ourselves to a citrus swirl, there weren't any close by areas to sit that were in the shade, those benches were taken. But the waiting area of the Skipper Canteen was unoccupied since the restaurant wasn't open yet. The chairs were spaced 6 feet apart so we didn't sit next to each other, which was okay, it was a nice quiet area, until the cast member that operates the restaurant check in station came in and started to run through her opening prep but also wanted to make conversation with me. I know she was just trying to be friendly but I really just wanted to relax and eat my citrus swirl, but I played nice and chatted with her. Luckily some people came to ask questions about the restaurant so she was occupied until I had only a couple bites left. Then we made our way to the Tiki Room, small world, Space, and Buzz before hitting up Cosmic Rays for some gourmet chicken nuggets and fries. Actually we really do like the nuggies here.

IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6348.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG

My together again mask had gotten soaked on Splash so I had switched to disposable only pulling the Together Again mask out for some photos but I guess I didn't bother for this photo.
IMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6371.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG

On our way out for the afternoon we caught some of the characters. I was glad to see Merida on the horse and hoped no balloons were let loose.
IMG_6383.JPG
IMG_6388.JPG
IMG_6390.JPG
IMG_6396.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

On our way back to the Pop we took a look at the new mask vending machine. Only masks inside, no candy....
IMG_6403.JPG
IMG_6404.JPG
IMG_6405.JPG

After our nap we headed back over to the Magic Kingdom but that wasn't really our true destination. Our real destination was the Polynesian for dinner but before we had left the Magic Kingdom earlier I had bought B a glass from the Crystal Arts store on Main Street for him to drink his scotch and soda from at home and we had it engraved. At that time we didn't want to wait around for the engraving and decided to pick it back up later. Since we had time before our reservation we popped into the MK to pick it up just in case we didn't make it back before the park closed, because we couldn't just pop in another day to easily pick it up. So while B went to get his glass I used the time to take pictures.
IMG_6409.JPG
IMG_6412.JPG

Since we had been to Marceline earlier in the summer and I had taken a picture of the clock on that Main Street I wanted to make sure I got a picture of this clock on Main Street.
IMG_6413.JPG

I am actually excited for this walkway to open, not that I stay at the GF but I think it will be fun to walk mostly all around 7 Seas Lagoon.
IMG_6418.JPG

On the monorail with the protective barriers. The monorails didn't disappoint in their smell this time, still smelled fairly rank or barn-like to me. I guess the cleaners they use for these are unscented?
IMG_6422.JPG

And finally at the Poly waiting for dinner at Kona. It was strange not hearing all the hustle and bustle of 'Ohana, but in a way nice too.
IMG_6424.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

Dinner at Kona was good. I have only been for breakfast and one time for lunch. Breakfast has always been good but our lunch wasn't the greatest experience. But we decided to give it a try and we were happy with our meal, our waiter was fine but he was really difficult to understand, he had an accent, a mask, a face shield , and a low tone to his voice. So we had to keep asking him to repeat himself which was a bit frustrating, I don't think it would have been so bad if he had increased his volume to compensate for the mask muffling sound.

IMG_6423.JPG

My view of Kona. It stayed fairly empty until we left.
IMG_6425.JPG

We got the sticky wings, we like the flavor profile of 'Ohana wings a bit better but these were very good too and well cooked. It seems as if the 'Ohana wings skin is always a bit soft and the skin on these well more crispy.
IMG_6427.JPG

I got the Kona braised short rib and it was very tender and flavorful, especially of coffee. I was glad B didn't get it as he would not (and didn't through a taste) have cared for it. I did end up adding some of B's soy sauce to it and that I think elevated it even more.
IMG_6428.JPG

Brad got some sushi
IMG_6430.JPG

And a poke bowl. He enjoyed both.
IMG_6432.JPG

I guess I didn't take pictures of our drinks but after some hullabaloo I got a Kona Hanalei beer, which was fine but I had some of them in my fridge at home. I had wanted a POG beer brewed by someplace in Florida that was on the menu but after a long time waiting for it was told they didn't have it. Sadness. Brad splurged and got a Mai Tai, I liked the glass it came in. I though it was very retro Poly.
IMG_6433.JPG

We ended up eating in just under an hour so we had plenty of time to hang at the MK before it closed. We were greeted by Mickey and the gang.
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6437.JPG
IMG_6443.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August 12, 2020

We wandered the MK for awhile and were able to experience the Haunted Mansion, tea cups (just for me) , and the Tomorrowland Speedway before hopping into the Mine Train line right before park close. It was interesting to get another view of the Tron construction from the Speedway.

When we got off Mine Train it was so strange to have the park closed when it was still light out, but it was a a great opportunity to get some pictures around the castle!

IMG_6451.JPG

As I spun in my green and purple cup I quickly realized it wasn't my normal green and purple cup because it was making a horrible screeching sound and not spinning well. Or maybe it was my normal cup but broken but I checked the number on the inside of the door and it wasn't number 11 (my cup) . And sure enough the next time we were at the MK the broken cup was covered with a tarp and my cup was just fine.
IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_6458.JPG
IMG_6459.JPG
IMG_6463.JPG

By the way our car's numbers were 55 and 71 which I thought was cool since Disneyland opened in 1955 and WDW in 1971.
IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6468.JPG
IMG_6470.JPG
IMG_6473.JPG
IMG_6478.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom