Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh, I agree personal beliefs may not influence Disney's decision, but no one knows when or how they are going to relax/drop the mask requirements. People feel very strongly that their opinion is the correct one, but the fact is no one actually knows. Our grandson turns 2 years old a few days before our trip in May - we will probably cancel if Disney requires us to put a mask on him while he's being pushed in a stroller outside. My opinion is that we will be there in May.
Any guess on when the "experts" will remove the mask recommendation? Or what event would allow that? Vaccine available? Vaccine available and distributed to high-risk groups? or more than that?
I have no idea when Disney will relax the mask requirement. They have said from day 1 that their safety protocols that were put in place were based on recommendations from various experts and government health agencies (not just based on FL or Orange County requirements). They are free to change that at any time but as discussed earlier they also have a union contract which mandates masks as well and a park in CA they are desperate to get open and will definitely need masks and distancing and capacity limits to be a major part of their plan there . I believe the unions will gladly agree to amend the contract and remove the mask requirement at whatever time they deem to be safe to do so. It’s my opinion that the safe time to do it will be dictated by when the so called experts no longer recommend it. I don’t think Disney will go against recommendations and remove the requirement but I could be wrong. I also don’t think they will have 2 sets of rules...1 for WDW and 1 for DLR. They will both have the same set of standards. That I am pretty confident will be true.

As far as timing it’s really hard to know. I would say there’s almost zero chance it’s now or anytime soon based just on the FL governor’s executive order. Orange County still has a mask mandate anyway so they would be in violation of that at least for indoor locations. Outside at the parks is a grey area. It’s my opinion that the experts won’t recommend a relaxing of protocols until there’s a prolonged and sizeable reduction in overall statistics (cases, percent positive, hospitalizations, deaths, etc). I don’t think approval of a vaccine has as much impact as when it gets distributed and the impact it has on cases. So if a vaccine is approved before year end, distributed in Q1 (at least to the “first movers”) and then we see a major positive change in the overall stats it’s likely that by May we could see rules relaxed. I’m sure Disney would love to do it by Spring Break but that seems overly optimistic to me. due to the logistical nightmare it’s going to be to get the vaccine approved and distributed I think some time this summer is a better bet than Spring Break but that assumes the vaccine works, is safe, gets approved and people actually get it. Without a vaccine the protocols will still be relaxed eventually but I don’t see it happening as quickly. The Spanish Flu pandemic lasted 2 years just as an example of how long it could take naturally. Obviously that’s a terrible scenario for Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the masks are going to be one of the last things to go; we'll keep masks but drop capacity and social distancing requirements first. Since they are low cost and easy. So "more than that." Either this is declared endemic, or when case numbers drop to minimal levels in a post-vaccine world indicative of growing immunity. That may not mean every business will require them, especially businesses that can do rapid testing. So, people might have to wear them in an airport before the "check" point, but after a negative rapid test then people can remove them. So your flight would be mask free. Same for WDW, maybe you wear them when you arrive at a park, but once inside they can be removed. But I think the expert advice will be to wear them as much as possible. Honestly, I think the way the restrictions have tampered down flu season in the Southern Hemisphere, that if the North does the same, I think the experts will want to normalize mask wearing for illness, like in Asia. This doesn't mean everyone wears masks all the time, but you may see at least one person wearing a mask every day. Especially, on public transportation.

The TL : DR version: Through all of next year, but rapid testing may eliminate the use in specific places.
Rapid testing is an interesting possibility. Without a viable vaccine Disney could go the route of airlines flying to Hawaii and require all workers and guests get a rapid test to enter the property. Then you could in theory allow people to go about their business with no masks, distancing or capacity limits. Sorta like the NBA bubble on a massive scale. I don’t think Disney goes that route unless the vaccines fail. There will be considerable push back by some people of doing that, but desperate times would call for desperate measures.

sullyinMT

I always kind of chuckle and shake my head when I drive by a place with outdoor dining and the outdoor seating/tents are full.
AT a wine/beer establishment my wife and I frequent weekly we will often walk up to their filled outdoor patio and walk in to be one of two or three couples well spread out inside.
We definitely feel safer in those moments indoors rather than out. There were similar moments in HS in August. 50’s Prime Time, for example, was way safer and more socially distanced than the Marketplace area on Sunset Blvd.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can accept working with children 4 or 5 to get them to wear a mask but I do not get the logic for the little ones that are 3 or younger.
From what I understand, the exception for children under two is based on the fact that pediatricians agree it's dangerous for them to wear a mask. It has nothing to do with the ability or likelihood of transmitting the virus.

sullyinMT

Cruising allowed? Walking on a tightrope seems safer.
Nah. Tightropes require training. You can cruise with a passport and a major credit card 😉
In all seriousness, the Disney cruises I’ve been on are a whole heckuva lot cleaner than the parks, and I’ve never felt “dirty” in the parks beyond sweat. That said, I wouldn’t pay current PIF credit that I have for a postponed cruise even at 125% that we currently have with the proposed changes I’ve seen. I’ll go to the parks right now, but cruising will need to be more “normal”

Miss Bella

Nah. Tightropes require training. You can cruise with a passport and a major credit card 😉
In all seriousness, the Disney cruises I’ve been on are a whole heckuva lot cleaner than the parks, and I’ve never felt “dirty” in the parks beyond sweat. That said, I wouldn’t pay current PIF credit that I have for a postponed cruise even at 125% that we currently have with the proposed changes I’ve seen. I’ll go to the parks right now, but cruising will need to be more “normal”
I don’t think I can talk my family into cruising with masks. I would do it just to help them get back on their feet. I have 1500 dollars of cruise credit from Carnival that I would love to use on their brand new ship coming to PC. It has a rollercoaster and Shaq‘s fried chicken what more do I need.

hopemax

Rapid testing is an interesting possibility. Without a viable vaccine Disney could go the route of airlines flying to Hawaii and require all workers and guests get a rapid test to enter the property. Then you could in theory allow people to go about their business with no masks, distancing or capacity limits. Sorta like the NBA bubble on a massive scale. I don’t think Disney goes that route unless the vaccines fail. There will be considerable push back by some people of doing that, but desperate times would call for desperate measures.
I would think the Cruise ships are going to do rapid testing, and then it's a matter of how big of an operation does Disney want then. Maybe, for the parks it can be an either/or thing. Wear your mask, or take a rapid test and we give you one of those colored bracelets you get from the pool at Aulani to verify that you have been tested today and don't need a mask.

sullyinMT

I don’t think I can talk my family into cruising with masks. I would do it just to help them get back on their feet. I have 1500 dollars of cruise credit from Carnival that I would love to use on their brand new ship coming to PC. It has a rollercoaster and Shaq‘s fried chicken what more do I need.
For us, it isn’t the masks as much as it is the changes to onboard entertainment.

Mardi Gras started sea trials, so CCL should be ready to take delivery soon. She has a scheduled sailing that is a perfect substitute for our Fantasy Spring break sailing. That price is more palatable for the proposed experience than DCL, and were *this* close to “jumping ship.”

sullyinMT

If people are struggling with the decision to go to a restaurant or a theater than I don't see masses of people lining up to sign up for cruises unless the prices are really low.
Big picture, probably not. For Disney cruises, definitely not. But I would be willing to wager that Norwegian and carnival wouldn’t have much issue filling limited capacity four night cruises out of the Florida ports. There are plenty of people in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral areas that are filling those bars and would pay Florida resident rates on those ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom