Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Remember: Outdoors is less risky, not risk-free. Outdoors isn't magic.

Certainly, the larger air volume of outdoors reduces risk with light breezes blowing aerosols away... unless you're downwind of someone with COVID.

I'd be comfortable talking to a neighbor outdoors six feet away with no masks. But that's not what being outdoors at Disney is like.

Outdoors at Disney is not just one neighbor, it's several thousand neighbors. And many are walking near or past you over and over and over again. Outdoors is a large volume of air. Several thousand people is a large number of possible virus vectors all exhaling into that volume of air. If they're all wearing masks, that risk drops significantly, but not entirely... masks aren't magic -- neither is the outdoors.

Outdoors is A LOT less risky. Outdoors at Disney is different in a good way. You aren't typically staying near the same person for any great period of time.

With the current capacity restrictions, even on busy days, it isn't that difficult to keep your space from strangers.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
Outdoors is A LOT less risky. Outdoors at Disney is different in a good way. You aren't typically staying near the same person for any great period of time.

With the current capacity restrictions, even on busy days, it isn't that difficult to keep your space from strangers.
For the most part at Disney theme parks or any other theme park you are moving around and with the lighter crowds most people can position themselves away from other groups unless you are in a line that is at a standstill for some reason.

Really with the lighter crowds there is no reason to walk right next to another group of people with the amount of space given at the theme parks.

ptlohmysoul

I don’t think anyone’s personal beliefs about how effective masks are factors into Disney’s decision. They will continue to have a mask policy as long as the vast majority of health experts and officials from various agencies like the CDC and local departments of health recommend it. It makes it much more difficult to monitor and enforce the rule if there are more exceptions created. They tried allowing an exception for people walking around to eat/drink with their mask off and the enforcement caused too many issues. They had to simplify the rule to no walking around without a mask on and if you want to eat or drink step to the side away from others to do it. IMHO Disney will go from the full current mask policy to no masks required when it’s time to do that vs a gradual relaxing of the rules.

Any guess on when the "experts" will remove the mask recommendation? Or what event would allow that? Vaccine available? Vaccine available and distributed to high-risk groups? or more than that?

Chi84

Premium Member
That's the exact opposite of a good thing. The more people you're exposed to, the more likely you're exposed to someone who's contagious.
That may be true, but the virus is primarily transmitted by prolonged (around 15 minutes), indoor contact with an infected person. I haven't seen any health experts state that it is likely you will get enough of the virus to make you sick by merely walking past someone. People need to stop treating every encounter as equally dangerous - they are not.

GimpYancIent

That's the exact opposite of a good thing. The more people you're exposed to, the more likely you're exposed to someone who's contagious.
With the protocols WDW has (short of going through a sterilization airlock) the risks of exposure to someone infected are way less than at any other venue outside Disney property. Of course people move around but do not remain in close proximity to each other very long, they do distance.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
Any guess on when the "experts" will remove the mask recommendation? Or what event would allow that? Vaccine available? Vaccine available and distributed to high-risk groups? or more than that?
Quite the difficult question to answer. I certainly think the vaccine will be involved before masks will be dropped entirely from the picture. What percentage of people vaccinated I couldn't tell you that. Could it 75% or 50%. I don't know.

Disstevefan1

For the most part at Disney theme parks or any other theme park you are moving around and with the lighter crowds most people can position themselves away from other groups unless you are in a line that is at a standstill for some reason.

Really with the lighter crowds there is no reason to walk right next to another group of people with the amount of space given at the theme parks.
The only problem now is, the crowds are no longer light at WDW and Disney Springs and the capacity of both will be cranked up and up over time.

Having said that, (in my opinion) with all the precautions WDW is taking, even with the loss of distancing, its still reasonably safe at WDW.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
The only problem now is, the crowds are no longer light at WDW and Disney Springs and the capacity of both will be cranked up and up over time.

Having said that, (in my opinion) with all the precautions WDW is taking, even with the loss of distancing, its still reasonably safe at WDW.
I myself have never been to WDW. I have only been to Disneyland California. I live in Vancouver, BC so it is quite the distance from WDW, but we do hear some news from there from time to time and it does seem like they are doing everything they possibly can to keep the guest and workers as safe as possible.

rowrbazzle

Oh, I agree personal beliefs may not influence Disney's decision, but no one knows when or how they are going to relax/drop the mask requirements. People feel very strongly that their opinion is the correct one, but the fact is no one actually knows. Our grandson turns 2 years old a few days before our trip in May - we will probably cancel if Disney requires us to put a mask on him while he's being pushed in a stroller outside. My opinion is that we will be there in May.
I hope you're right! I'd like to be there, mask-free, in June.

Twisted Ballerina

In the Parks
No
Why is that great news??

What,.... are you in line for some of that money? Great news? I don't think so.
I suppose if someone had plans on getting married at Disney and had to keep pushing the wedding date back it is great news. However if I ever get to walking down the aisle it won't be at Disney because it is too damn expensive.

oceanbreeze77

Remember: Outdoors is less risky, not risk-free. Outdoors isn't magic.

Certainly, the larger air volume of outdoors reduces risk with light breezes blowing aerosols away... unless you're downwind of someone with COVID.

I'd be comfortable talking to a neighbor outdoors six feet away with no masks. But that's not what being outdoors at Disney is like.

Outdoors at Disney is not just one neighbor, it's several thousand neighbors. And many are walking near or past you over and over and over again. Outdoors is a large volume of air. Several thousand people is a large number of possible virus vectors all exhaling into that volume of air. If they're all wearing masks, that risk drops significantly, but not entirely... masks aren't magic -- neither is the outdoors.
I always kind of chuckle and shake my head when I drive by a place with outdoor dining and the outdoor seating/tents are full.

DisneyCane

No. For goodness sake, this thing doesn't transmit in 10 seconds of being near somebody that is infected. If it was as contagious as that implies, over half of the population would have been infected in March before anybody did any "mitigation."

hopemax

I think the masks are going to be one of the last things to go; we'll keep masks but drop capacity and social distancing requirements first. Since they are low cost and easy. So "more than that." Either this is declared endemic, or when case numbers drop to minimal levels in a post-vaccine world indicative of growing immunity. That may not mean every business will require them, especially businesses that can do rapid testing. So, people might have to wear them in an airport before the "check" point, but after a negative rapid test then people can remove them. So your flight would be mask free. Same for WDW, maybe you wear them when you arrive at a park, but once inside they can be removed. But I think the expert advice will be to wear them as much as possible. Honestly, I think the way the restrictions have tampered down flu season in the Southern Hemisphere, that if the North does the same, I think the experts will want to normalize mask wearing for illness, like in Asia. This doesn't mean everyone wears masks all the time, but you may see at least one person wearing a mask every day. Especially, on public transportation.

The TL : DR version: Through all of next year, but rapid testing may eliminate the use in specific places.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

When the case numbers come way down and stay down for an extended period of time. Vaccine itself would be a criteria, but it will indirectly by helping lower the case numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom