Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisMickey

Just chiming in with my 2 cents, those low waits that were happening when the parks first opened are pretty much non existent now. I’ve been at the parks pretty regularly since they’ve reopened and this past Monday was the busiest I’ve seen it yet. For example, Pirates had a 50 minute wait at 11AM. So please take that into consideration if you’re going to risk traveling here expecting to walk on everything.

DBM

Can you tell me what percentage of those survivors will permanent damage from the virus? Can you tell me what percentage have had to suffer months of debilitating symptoms even after the survived?
Huge majority are those over 70 with other problems. They also found 45% of the deaths are from other illnesses but they also had covid. With survival rate so high I will take my chances and not live in fear. People need to look at the numbers breakdown and quit relying on medias fear inducing reports!!!

Nottamus

Fear

I read that word in a few posts this morning. When does a person doing what they perceive as right become a fear?

is it of death there is no fear? Would you stand in the middle of a highway in rush hour traffic because some statistics show you only have a 5% chance of being hit?

I have a friend of a friend, never met them...but that person did have Covid in April. Recovered. Said it was horrible

a month ago, that person became short of breath again...walking from room to room was a chore. Went to See a Dr thinking covid came back...they discovered heart issues covid related that left a 20% functioning heart. And if I heard correctly, now on a list for transplant, and before covid, was a very very health oriented person

now you don’t know this person, neither do I...but Dr said it was attributed to covid

why would anyone want to put their family at risk for this? Your wife? Husband? Children? Parents?

it’s not fear. Stop using that word.

In WW2, Germans bombed London....all
Lights were kept off.....OH, except for that one guy who said “stop living in fear...turn your lights on”. Haha

as far as Florida’s decision to open...I think it’s too soon. Maybe a bit Election Day related, but I won’t go there

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Huge majority are those over 70 with other problems. They also found 45% of the deaths are from other illnesses but they also had covid. With survival rate so high I will take my chances and not live in fear. People need to look at the numbers breakdown and quit relying on medias fear inducing reports!!!

Can you site sources for you data? I am highly skeptical of the 45% number. Yes, lot of people who died had other pre-existing conditions, but a large part of the US population has one of these "per-existing conditions", like diabetes or heart disease. Just because you had another condition doesn't mean it would have lead to your death in the past couple months, so these people would still be alive if they did not have the disease.

You seem to agree that the response should be in proportion to the problem, but how do you determine the response when you don't know the full impact of the disease?

I rarely watch the news anymore, I look at the numbers and the numbers are pretty scary. Based on the CDC numbers Coronavirus is now the third leading cause of death in the US after Cancer and Heart Diseases.

techgeek

To anyone that wants to pull out ‘survival rates’ and feels confident in their ability to interpret them...

Age aside, do you know and calculate how your personal health skews your risk? Are you confident you don’t have an undiagnosed heart or circulatory condition? Minor chronic lung damage from an environmental exposure? Are you aware of your personal family genetic history of blood clots, or neurological diseases?

Can you say with confidence and backed by science that a Covid diagnosis, even asymptotic, does not potentially represent a reduced life span?

Is a 99% risk acceptable for you in all aspects of your life? Since you almost certainly don’t have a 1% chance of getting in a wreck every time you get in a car, are you ok with disabling the airbags and not putting on your seatbelt? Would you feel the same about a 99.9% survival rate if somebody pointed a gun at you and said ‘don’t worry, there’s a 1/1000 chance you won’t even be hit by the bullet?’ If you trust in a 99% survival rate, do you know a hundred people and are ok with the idea of never seeing one of them again?

There is fear, and then there is recklessness. Nobody here is suggesting we cower under a rock forever and don’t live our lives. Myself, and many here, have actually ventured out to the parks in the last few months and took confidence in the precautions being taken. We want them to continue, for now, until the science supports their removal. Living with concessions to reality is not fear. Recklessly ignoring reality is often regarded as Darwinism, and history has proven time and time again has real consequences.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You also have to worry about the financial collapse that will make this hard to recover from to be honest, they set the COVID guidelines for everyone, it’s up to us at this point, any more than that is controlling. For example, I’m not left or right but Biden has publicly stated he will shutdown the country again if scientists tell him to do so( a story on CNN), if we shut down imagine going back to March economically, I have been unemployed since March I ran out of the unemployment benefits and i am halfway through the PEUC, I won’t make it another shutdown. Not to mention those bonus keep getting less and less each extension. Believe I am working on getting employment but I can’t get job offers since it’s pure competition now.

I think one of the problems with this situation is that people are looking for an easy answer, and that just does not exist. Dealing with the pandemic is crazy difficult. Remove to many restrictions and lots of people get sick and die. Put in place to many restrictions you risk economic devastation with all the problems that come with that. It takes an extraordinary level of leadership to walk the line between those two things.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Welcome back, “New Member”
Fear

I read that word in a a few posts this morning. When does a person doing what they perceive as right become a fear?

is it of death there is no fear? Would you stand in the middle of a highway in rush hour traffic because some statistics show you only have a 5% chance of being hit?

I have a friend of a friend, never met them...but that person did have Covid in April. Recovered. Said it was horrible

a month ago, that person became short of breath again...walking from room to room was a chore. Went to See a Dr thinking covid came back...they discovered heart issues covid related that left a 20% functioning heart. And if I heard correctly, now on a list for transplant, and before covid, was a very very health oriented person

now you don’t know this person, neither do I...but Dr said it was attributed to covid

why would anyone want to put their family at risk for this? Your wife? Husband? Children? Parents?

it’s not fear. Stop using that word.

In WW2, Germans bombed London....all
Lights were kept off.....OH, except for that one guy who said “stop living in fear...turn your lights on”. Haha

as far as Florida’s decision to open...I think it’s too soon. Maybe a bit Election Day related, but I won’t go there
Well...this is one of the old disgraced trolls that had to go hide after embarrassing themselves for 6 months...

But as far as fear goes. Fear is a powerful deterrent/motivator. We see it on the tv near 24/7 these days.

But that’s not Florida’s tourism issue. The issue is the perception that they’re incompetent. That’s what they are. And as long as that’s a thing - their revenues/profits are going to be torpedoed.

It’s in their best interests to allow the fear to subside...but they have complete idiots running the show. And idiots fail. Count on it.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To anyone that wants to pull out ‘survival rates’ and feels confident in their ability to interpret them...

Age aside, do you know and calculate how your personal health skews your risk? Are you confident you don’t have an undiagnosed heart or circulatory condition? Minor chronic lung damage from an environmental exposure? Are you aware of your personal family genetic history of blood clots, or neurological diseases?

Can you say with confidence and backed by science that a Covid diagnosis, even asymptotic, does not potentially represent a reduced life span?

Is a 99% risk acceptable for you in all aspects of your life? Since you almost certainly don’t have a 1% chance of getting in a wreck every time you get in a car, are you ok with disabling the airbags and not putting on your seatbelt? Would you feel the same about a 99.9% survival rate if somebody pointed a gun at you and said ‘don’t worry, there’s a 1/1000 chance you won’t even be hit by the bullet?’ If you trust in a 99% survival rate, do you know a hundred people and are ok with the idea of never seeing one of them again?

There is fear, and then there is recklessness. Nobody here is suggesting we cower under a rock forever and don’t live our lives. Myself, and many here, have actually ventured out to the parks in the last few months and took confidence in the precautions being taken. We want them to continue, for now, until the science supports their removal. Living with concessions to reality is not fear. Recklessly ignoring reality is often regarded as Darwinism, and history has proven time and time again has real consequences.
Don’t bother...this is one of the disgraced hoaxers back to try again. Who joins a Disney forum and starts by trying to “persuasively interpret” medical data while lecturing a bunch of “strangers”. First post?

Nice try, X

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wednesday the CDC reported that the survival rate of this virus is high. Age 1-69 have a 99.8 survival rate. It's time for everyone t open up and get rid of the fear!!!!

We have already seen areas where lifting to many restrictions lead to health care systems being overloaded. In those cases it not only impacts the people who chose to put themselves at risk but also people who were keeping themselves safe and had other medical issues to deal with. If we decide to open everything up, how do we deal with this?

SoFloMagic

45% are from covid AND something. So like a guy with we'll-managed diabetes that flares up when he gets covid and kills him. Or a grandma with COPD that has 10 years left but covid+COPD is just too much and she dies. Still a covid death. There may have been something else going on, but the covid addition is what did it.

You're misinterpreting data to prove that a pandemic isn't bad. Shame on you. You make me sick.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had already canceled my October trip.

Then I cancelled my AP.

Now, I'm cancelling my December trip.

There's your Florida tourism dollars at work.
And we all lose...it’s depressing.

All those that shout “ha! Open up you snowflakes!”...lose.

Disney is running half operating parks at maximum price on Skeleton hours....what the hell good is that? Half their hotels are shut. And restaurants.

What is fun about this? And it’s not going to change until the tourist are confident to return. This is some type of idiot mob rule. No longterm grasp of the situation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In June, FL deaths hovered around 40-50 per day due to COVID.

Now, they're twice that number. So, things are much worse... unless you compare your current numbers to the time they were at their really worst, and then you can claim that things are in the right direction (if you ignore certain parts of the past).

This is pure intellectual dishonesty. This will be a textbook case of cherry picking numbers. When people say that "numbers lie", no, it's the liars who make numbers lie.

It is this kind of playing with numbers and policy which caused that really big spike.

1601124905104.png

1601125016831.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
45% are from covid AND something. So like a guy with we'll-managed diabetes that flares up when he gets covid and kills him. Or a grandma with COPD that has 10 years left but covid+COPD is just too much and she dies. Still a covid death. There may have been something else going on, but the covid addition is what did it.

You're misinterpreting data to prove that a pandemic isn't bad. Shame on you. You make me sick.
You're talking to a sock puppet who was already banned from here.

Club Cooloholic

Just chiming in with my 2 cents, those low waits that were happening when the parks first opened are pretty much non existent now. I’ve been at the parks pretty regularly since they’ve reopened and this past Monday was the busiest I’ve seen it yet. For example, Pirates had a 50 minute wait at 11AM. So please take that into consideration if you’re going to risk traveling here expecting to walk on everything.
With the crowds you are describing, Disney could really help by extending hours. 9 to 8 does not seem unreasonable.

GimpYancIent

Btw, for a trip into Opposite Land, browse through the Disneyland threads on this forum. Many of the falisies they we regularly debunk here are passed around as the going truth over there.
WDW needs to continue operating with the current COVID19 protocols in place I do not see as an issue (wearing a mask is not a big deal), increase the park hours to pre-COVID, get the end of night pyro going and finish up some of the refurb / construction already! Maybe, Just maybe, the folks on the west coast will be able to see through the smoke, get a glimpse of what needs to happen and get a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom