News Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon to remain closed until March 2021

Magic Feather

Well...they have definitely been more cautious and cognizant of PR appearances...for sure. People getting bowled over in the wave pool isn’t a great look to Disney legal.

But I bet it’s still financial more than anything.

Remember that waterparks are more heavily patronized per capita by internationals and locals as well...two demographics they’re not looking to take on cost to cater too these days.

The college program staffing is also an important point. They need lifeguards in the tenements for the water parks. This could be a hint at when they think that would resume. It’s a terrible idea...but one they obviously will monitor closely.
They’d be fine with lifeguards. It’s one of the few departments at WDW where it’s still “kosher” to hire local high schoolers. I’m sure they could easily fill spots for one waterpark, especially considering their backlog of seasonal+part time lifeguards

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They’d be fine with lifeguards. It’s one of the few departments at WDW where it’s still “kosher” to hire local high schoolers. I’m sure they could easily fill spots for one waterpark, especially considering their backlog of seasonal+part time lifeguards
Want to think about that one closely for a second?

...and I’m not giving the college program credit for being Rhodes scholars...

10-5 with a high school staff?

Magic Feather

Want to think about that one closely for a second?

...and I’m not giving the college program credit for being Rhodes scholars...

10-5 with a high school staff?
Pretty easy IMO, high school kids take resorts (who usually do minimal lifeguard staffing during the day compared to the evenings), and full+part timers from resort pools get trained on Water Parks if they aren’t already. And then you can still have the high schoolers cover weekends.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pretty easy IMO, high school kids take resorts (who usually do minimal lifeguard staffing during the day compared to the evenings), and full+part timers from resort pools get trained on Water Parks if they aren’t already. And then you can still have the high schoolers cover weekends.

Well...it’s a mess under normal circumstances....a circus with anything less.

I don’t see any practical reason to open a water park - however - as it stands. Their original intentions don’t really apply and their role to “retain” people on property are null and void now as well. Spring may not happen either.

I’m more concerned about how they impact ticket structure...which is currently completely paralyzed.

Giss Neric

Also, I don't understand how beaches are usually the first ones to open in cities but they feel water parks are not safe. Probably they thought it would be hard to distance guests in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon especially with that size of the wave. Slides are no problem since they can alternate unlike those lazy rivers and wave pools.

doctornick

While I'm sure cost cutting is part of it, I think the main reason is the perception of safety. While I think operating a water park is safe, I don't think Disney would want to potential PR problem of having photos of maskless crowds of people at one of their parks (even though it is outside, surrounded by chlorine). And this is a unique issue for Disney since what they do gets publicized much more to the general public - there are advantages but also disadvantages of being the "top dog".

ImperfectPixie

All the water parks in Texas managed and it's not like going near ani othervperdon will kill you, all this coronastuff is stupid, it's a virus, big deal. I had it you no what happened nothing not even a sneeze.
You should consider yourself extraordinarily lucky. There are more and more stories coming out of people suffering long-term effects and struggling for months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom