How committed is WDI to the Batuu / Galaxy’s Edge original concepts?

tirian

Yeah, I have trouble imagining this area not just becoming the all-purpose 'Star Wars' land as time goes on. It's probably not a coincidence the land is styled in with the dusty, rocky style that is kinda the default for Star Wars instead of one of the more specific and arguably 'cooler' other places.

Somewhat ironically, Star Wars has always been somewhat 'immune' to continuity compared to other franchises. For most folks, the actual plot has always been secondary to the iconic scenes, beloved characters, etc. You could plop down Han Solo and the Mandalorian right next to each other and it wouldn't trigger most fans in the way Picard having drinks with Kirk or the current X-men wandering around with the Avengers would.
:D:D:D
You’re right! Somehow, Star Tours always worked.

erasure fan1

Ugh. I was really intrigued by everything they promised with Star Wars Land. They spend all this money on an "immersive" land and then cut the immersive parts or limit them to guests paying huge stacks of cash to stay in a special hotel. What a waste.
Welcome to modern Disney. Unfortunately it's not about what would give the best guest experience. For Disney, it all starts with, will we be able to up-charge. Star wars should have been an easy slam dunk. But because all they could see was dollar signs, they forgot what would make a star wars land appealing in the first place.

GimpYancIent

Welcome to modern Disney. Unfortunately it's not about what would give the best guest experience. For Disney, it all starts with, will we be able to up-charge. Star wars should have been an easy slam dunk. But because all they could see was dollar signs, they forgot what would make a star wars land appealing in the first place.
You know I find the place interesting after a blue milk w rum or maybe two.

OrlandoRising

Changing Galaxy's Edge to encompass different eras would require much more than a few banners or changing costumed characters. While it's clear the opening of both lands did not get the reception Disney anticipated, that can be easily justified as a problem of marketing and opening without the land's marquee attraction. With the pandemic, Disney won't get a years' worth of real operations by which judge the land to assess what's missing. Besides, any changes to recently-opened lands will be among the lowest priorities post-pandemic.

Chatter on Galaxy's Edge is being driven by speculation and opinions being presented as legitimate possibilities, including by those looking to push their own personal agendas (like WDW Pro).

But for SW enthusiasts, they tied it to a divisive era. As someone previously mentioned, it would be like if Universal developed an entire land not around the core Harry Potter mythology but setpieces associated with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Divisive is subjective. The opinions of Star Wars YouTubers should not be construed as objective reality. The sequel films were still very financially successful. The true test is how they are perceived 5-10 years from now.

GimpYancIent

Changing Galaxy's Edge to encompass different eras would require much more than a few banners or changing costumed characters. While it's clear the opening of both lands did not get the reception Disney anticipated, that can be easily justified as a problem of marketing and opening without the land's marquee attraction. With the pandemic, Disney won't get a years' worth of real operations by which judge the land to assess what's missing. Besides, any changes to recently-opened lands will be among the lowest priorities post-pandemic.

Chatter on Galaxy's Edge is being driven by speculation and opinions being presented as legitimate possibilities, including by those looking to push their own personal agendas (like WDW Pro).

Divisive is subjective. The opinions of Star Wars YouTubers should not be construed as objective reality. The sequel films were still very financially successful. The true test is how they are perceived 5-10 years from now.
Reality is that a dismal poor performance at the box office for a Star Wars film would actually be a very successful even impressive performance for any other film, such is the power of the Star Wars franchise.

GimpYancIent

Something I would like to see, Yea I am a runner, is the routing of the Star Wars Rival Run Half marathon course through Batuu. If the Marathon and Half Marathon courses for the Disney marathon week can be routed down main street MK and through the castle, Why not go through Batuu for the Rival Run? It would add a lot to the run from a runners perspective. Since run Disney events hit the road, so to speak, at 5:30 in the morning I do not see any inconvenience to other guests. Oh yea, reduced possibilities for cross contamination.

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster

The diminishing popularity and reception of the additional films is evidenced by objective facts. The Last Jedi made 65% of The Force Awakens, and Rise of Skywalker made half of TFA. That trajectory is not objectively or subjectively indicative of enduring popularity. Disney has stated in official financial disclosures that Star Wars merchandise sales (toys, video games, books, comics) have declined, which are objective facts and ones that could be viewed as criminal corporate fraud if untrue.

If these movies were popular, we'd have more in the pipeline. Instead, many of the productions have been scuttled, and the only thing Disney has staked out are release dates for "Untitled Star Wars Movie" in the distant future.

erasure fan1

I think there is plenty of evidence out there, besides youtubers, that Disney messed up with star wars. Would the reception have been better if the headliner was opened when the land opened? Yea, probably. But that should be your first clue there is a problem. If people weren't meh on star wars, they would have shown up no matter what. Remember the lines for Mermaid in California? Sure Disney might have scared a few off with their predictions of huge crowds. But when fans love something, they show up in droves. Waiting doesn't bother them. But people avoided it because they didn't care enough about what was built. We can all speculate, but I believe it's a whole different ball game with the land being set in the OT. Or for that matter, being more of a celebration of all star wars.
Besides, any changes to recently-opened lands will be among the lowest priorities post-pandemic.
That is correct. My guess is you will start to see a shift in the strict timeline rules. Maybe a Mando baby yoda meet once things are back to normal. If I were to bet, my money is on you will see a lot of changes with the galaxys edge time period once they have their new movies set. I'm sure they were already kicking themselves for not being able to promote the Mandalorian in the land. I just don't see them making that mistake twice. Of course this is modern Disney and they are pretty clueless, so maybe I'm giving them too much credit. Lol

Jae Sea

The sequel trilogy is trash. Only normies actually liked it, the majority of hardcore fans just tolerate it, and they didn't even have a plan for the trilogy, as revealed by Daisy Ridley recently. The trilogy will soon be forgotten. Changing GE to the Original and Prequel trilogies would be an instant shot in the arm for the land for attendance and excitement. It wouldn't take much to give it a facelift to do that.

Animaniac93-98

The diminishing popularity and reception of the additional films is evidenced by objective facts. The Last Jedi made 65% of The Force Awakens, and Rise of Skywalker made half of TFA. That trajectory is not objectively or subjectively indicative of enduring popularity. Disney has stated in official financial disclosures that Star Wars merchandise sales (toys, video games, books, comics) have declined, which are objective facts and ones that could be viewed as criminal corporate fraud if untrue.

If these movies were popular, we'd have more in the pipeline. Instead, many of the productions have been scuttled, and the only thing Disney has staked out are release dates for "Untitled Star Wars Movie" in the distant future.

Not only that, but both Rogue One and Solo, movies that exist outside the sequel trilogy, also didn't replicate or come close to the success of Force Awakens.

The Mandalorian is Disney's biggest Star Wars thing since Force Awakens. I expect if it or any other new Star Wars property becomes just as popular, it will be incorporated into Galaxy's Edge.

GimpYancIent

Not only that, but both Rogue One and Solo, movies that exist outside the sequel trilogy, also didn't replicate or come close to the success of Force Awakens.

The Mandalorian is Disney's biggest Star Wars thing since Force Awakens. I expect if it or any other new Star Wars property becomes just as popular, it will be incorporated into Galaxy's Edge.
Interesting how Star Wars is George Lucas's concept reimagined when Disney purchased Lucas Films. One thing I am not hearing or reading lately is Disney reaching out to George Lucas for intellectual input. The crank out as many films as possible to exploit the brand and gain the biggest amount of profit possible did not work out exactly as hoped. The originator may have a better perspective on the direction to take.

ImperfectPixie

Interesting how Star Wars is George Lucas's concept reimagined when Disney purchased Lucas Films. One thing I am not hearing or reading lately is Disney reaching out to George Lucas for intellectual input. The crank out as many films as possible to exploit the brand and gain the biggest amount of profit possible did not work out exactly as hoped. The originator may have a better perspective on the direction to take.
I read somewhere that his further plans involved delving into midichlorians and other weird stuff...not sure that's the kind of Star Wars people want...

DoleWhipDrea

I don’t think George fully understands what the public wants to see, either. The criticisms of the PT are vast and touch on some basic storytelling principles and an overuse of CGI.

I also don’t think any singular person knows. That’s why Star Wars is at its best when a strong team of individuals that are passionate about the stories they’re telling come together and make each other’s work that much better, and aren’t afraid of telling someone that they’re going in the wrong direction. Even Favareau is too hyped on CGI.

George has been invited to various sets since Disney’s acquisition, including The Mandalorian. I think that’s the best compromise. He’s not some overlord that people are afraid to call out when he’s making a misstep, but he’s still invited to the table for his thoughts. He’s emotionally attached to Star Wars (rightfully) but that makes him too biased to his own ideas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom