How committed is WDI to the Batuu / Galaxy’s Edge original concepts?

ppete1975

points systems that affect how you’re treated within the land) haven’t been implemented, and the LARPing aspects of the land are a thing of the past.
I think I remember hearing this got dropped early, because disney is a kid friendly spot. And it might hurt someone’s feelings if someone said “i heard you did alot of damage to the falcon” or ive seen porgs fly better than you.. as sensitive as people have gotten i dont blame them. I thought they were looking at having the option to opt in or out... if they are still thinking of implementing,this might be the current hold up.

Incomudro

I think I remember hearing this got dropped early, because disney is a kid friendly spot. And it might hurt someone’s feelings if someone said “i heard you did alot of damage to the falcon” or ive seen porgs fly better than you.. as sensitive as people have gotten i dont blame them. I thought they were looking at having the option to opt in or out... if they are still thinking of implementing,this might be the current hold up.

The concept always sounded impossible to do, because there are simply too many riders and not enough actors.

doctornick

This is what I thought too. Unless they had an army of actors, it would have to be a very rare experience.

However, it would still be fun to see, just like the rebel spy thing in star wars. Not everyone gets to be it, but seeing a random person be accosted by a bounty hunter for wrecking the ship would be really fun.

I always though the only way to do it was to "opt in" which would limit the number of people simply by adding in extra steps to participate. Could even utilize that with a hard cap on numbers of people who could sign up if needed.

EPCOT-O.G.

Original Poster
To circle back to things, Disney has a multibillion dollar investment in huge areas of the park that do not exactly conjure up warm feelings with SW diehards or Disney enthusiasts.* It's clear they're carefully deciding how to best maximize the value of the IP and do not want to diminish it like they did with the poor response to SOLO (which was on balance a good film) and the last two installments of the main franchise. The Mandalorian is hot now, but there's been not much news on some of the in-development projects. The Obi-Wan and Cassian Andor series have been paused and retinkered. Leslye Headland (Russian Doll) had a female-focused series in development. There's a few other series (some animated, some not) that may or may not happen. Nothing's been heard on Rian Johnson's film(s) other than he's still supposedly working on them (though he's likely going to get to the Knives Out sequel first). Taika Waititi's movie was supposed to be released in 2023, but that's coming after Thor, which hasn't started filming yet. Kevin Feige is supposedly developing one, what with all the free time he has. J.D. Dillard supposedly has a development deal in place. Other than Johnson's film(s), each of those sounds like one-off projects and not jumpstarting new series within the franchise.

Long story short, there's a lot "in development" but precious little that we'll see other than The Mandalorian within the next year. Disney seems to have moved on from the last few films of the Skywalker Saga (as have many of its cast and fans). I think decoupling from the time era constraints and opening the shops and atmosphere to prequel and original trilogy arcana would be wonderful in the meantime.

*I'm keen on the tension. It is really a beautifully realized place and them park enthusiasts can appreciate it from that perspective. ROTR - when it works - is one of the most exceptional experiences imaginable. But for SW enthusiasts, they tied it to a divisive era. As someone previously mentioned, it would be like if Universal developed an entire land not around the core Harry Potter mythology but setpieces associated with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

GimpYancIent

I just want the restaurant built. Yet they decided to build everything but the actual restaurant.
View attachment 495672
Good point! If I remember correctly there was supposed to be an immersive experience restaurant incorporated into Batuu but the Star Cruiser hotel is now supposed to contain the restaurant. Why can there not be an immersive restaurant in Batuu and an exclusive dinning experience for those that can afford the Star Cruiser stay? Food and drink along with a touch of Star Wars ambiance, what is wrong with that?

trainplane3

Good point! If I remember correctly there was supposed to be an immersive experience restaurant incorporated into Batuu but the Star Cruiser hotel is now supposed to contain the restaurant. Why can there not be an immersive restaurant in Batuu and an exclusive dinning experience for those that can afford the Star Cruiser stay? Food and drink along with a touch of Star Wars ambiance, what is wrong with that?
It got phase 2'd. We may see it eventually.

RSoxNo1

This is what I thought too. Unless they had an army of actors, it would have to be a very rare experience.

However, it would still be fun to see, just like the rebel spy thing in star wars. Not everyone gets to be it, but seeing a random person be accosted by a bounty hunter for wrecking the ship would be really fun.
Perhaps as part of the Hotel?

I remember seeing something with Trowbridge saying explicitly that the "opt in" aspect has to be addressed. I would imagine the Hotel is a way to do this.

deWild

I'm completely satisfied in a Fantasyland where Peter Pan, the Little Mermaid, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Winnie the Pooh, Beauty and the Beast and the Children of the World can co-exist, so I could not give less of a flip if I saw Kylo Ren and Darth Vader roaming the same section of a park.

Then again, I might be in the minority here. Sci-fi fans seem particularly sensitive to canonical consistency (in completely fictional worlds...), so I can imagine the the internet outrage explosion that would erupt if they started mixing time periods.

I daresay the fans will probably apply the same microscope to the upcoming Marvel Campus at Disneyland.

Screw that. I want as many of the Avengers, Ravagers, Asgardians, etc. as possible. I don’t care if Ghostrider or Daredevil wouldn’t fit well with Cap and Iron Man. It just seems to be Star Wars that everyone is overly critical about.

_caleb

Seems like almost all guests have at lease some contact with a CM during their visit.

Also, I think I remember the rollout of a system where Magic Bands, when tapped, show guest-specific information on the CMs screen. This alerts CMs to any special needs or celebrations, but it could also be used to show if the guest has opted into the "SWGE reputation game" and prompt CMs with how to interact.

MrHorse

I think decoupling from the time era constraints and opening the shops and atmosphere to prequel and original trilogy arcana would be wonderful in the meantime.

Yeah, I have trouble imagining this area not just becoming the all-purpose 'Star Wars' land as time goes on. It's probably not a coincidence the land is styled in with the dusty, rocky style that is kinda the default for Star Wars instead of one of the more specific and arguably 'cooler' other places.

Somewhat ironically, Star Wars has always been somewhat 'immune' to continuity compared to other franchises. For most folks, the actual plot has always been secondary to the iconic scenes, beloved characters, etc. You could plop down Han Solo and the Mandalorian right next to each other and it wouldn't trigger most fans in the way Picard having drinks with Kirk or the current X-men wandering around with the Avengers would.

rowrbazzle

Perhaps as part of the Hotel?

I remember seeing something with Trowbridge saying explicitly that the "opt in" aspect has to be addressed. I would imagine the Hotel is a way to do this.
Ugh. I was really intrigued by everything they promised with Star Wars Land. They spend all this money on an "immersive" land and then cut the immersive parts or limit them to guests paying huge stacks of cash to stay in a special hotel. What a waste.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom