Whoopimecalit Forever? Thankfully no...

UNCgolf

My preference is for some basis in real places and cultures, but imagine how much WDI could do if they freed WS completely from reality and featured pavilions with Wakanda, Arendelle, San Fransokyo, Zootopia, Atlantis, etc.

I don't get how that's significantly different than what they're already building in other parks. Isn't that basically what Galaxy's Edge is, for example? Just on a larger scale than a WS pavilion.

I want World Showcase to stay as it it -- focused solely on real places. Otherwise, I'd rather they bulldoze the whole thing and do something completely different.

Last edited:

doctornick

Iā€™m not criticising the current makeup of World Showcaseā€”itā€™s the product of a particular time and of particular circumstances. My point had more to do with what should be done going forward. To my mind, Sub-Saharan Africa really needs some (non-zoological) representation at Disney, and I hope the next pavilion added to World Showcase addresses this issue.

Nice wishlist of countries, by the way.

To piggyback... I think the top areas of the (real) world that really ā€œshouldā€ be considered for WS given their underrepresentation would be Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and South America. So, if they could add one country from each area (e.g. Nigeria, India and Brazil), it would be great and really balance out WS as more truly world wide and welcoming. And I think would further the original mission of Epcot with creating awareness and exposure to all human culture. I'd rather see some more diverse places like that before considering additional "Western" countries that often get mentioned.

Australia would IMHO be a better fit for DAK and focusing on the flora/fauna. No offense to anyone from Australia, but I don't think the human culture is distinct enough from other Anglo countries that already have ample representation in WDW. I mean, certainly, if there were a World Showcase building boom, I'd include Australia as an option but it would be one of the next few things to build in my mind.

Animaniac93-98

No offense to anyone from Australia, but I don't think the human culture is distinct enough from other Anglo countries that already have ample representation in WDW.

If they focused on the aboriginal culture, than that would be different and unique, but knowing Disney, they'd just build a mini Sydney or Melbourne for EPCOT. Easier to design gift shops and bars that way.

LittleBuford

To piggyback... I think the top areas of the (real) world that really ā€œshouldā€ be considered for WS given their underrepresentation would be Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and South America. So, if they could add one country from each area (e.g. Nigeria, India and Brazil), it would be great and really balance out WS as more truly world wide and welcoming. And I think would further the original mission of Epcot with creating awareness and exposure to all human culture. I'd rather see some more diverse places like that before considering additional "Western" countries that often get mentioned.

Australia would IMHO be a better fit for DAK and focusing on the flora/fauna. No offense to anyone from Australia, but I don't think the human culture is distinct enough from other Anglo countries that already have ample representation in WDW. I mean, certainly, if there were a World Showcase building boom, I'd include Australia as an option but it would be one of the next few things to build in my mind.

I agree with all of this except for the last paragraph. An Australian pavilion that included references to Aboriginal culture would definitely provide a counterpoint to the existing anglophone pavilions.

ETA: I see @Animaniac93-98 beat me to it.

LittleBuford

The stave church, bakery and exterior facades are not really "most".

The pavilion's main features are the Frozen ride, meet 'n greet building and restaurant that does 3 princess meals a day (at least pre-COVID).

The "Norway" elements are mainly superfluous at this point.

I disagree. Except for the queue, the ride takes only a few minutes to experience. One can spend a good hour exploring the rest of the pavilion. As for the restaurant and meet-and-greet, the presence of characters isnā€™t all that unusual by World Showcase standardsā€”the equally fictitious Aladdin and Jasmine have been hanging out in Morocco for years, and then thereā€™s Alice over in the UK (though she at least is a British character).

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

As for the restaurant and meet-and-greet, the presence of characters isnā€™t all that unusual by World Showcase standardsā€”the equally fictitious Aladdin and Jasmine have been hanging out in Morocco for years, and then thereā€™s Alice over in the UK (though she at least is a British character).

We've gotten used to characters in World Showcase since the late 90s, but I don't care for the emphasis on them either.

And Norway is the only pavilion to have character dining at all (3 meals a day) and a meet and greet hall.

Brer Oswald

I welcome Wakanda in EPCOT... in Future World, or even Showcase Plaza. There are many components of that movie that scream EPCOT to me. The speech to the UN, the emphasis on tech fused with nature, and the fact that it is both aspirational and inspirational. My objection would be to putting a fictitious country in World Showcase.
Iā€™d prefer Small World first.

Brer Oswald

Itā€™s already there. It would be more defensible than guardians, frozen, Nemo, gran fiesta tour and ratatouille
Grand Fiesta Tour? I mean, sure, the ride they created isnā€™t the most educational. But as far as culture and Disney films go, you canā€™t beat the Three Caballeros for content, consistency and accuracy (at least at the time). They chose the right IP.

DVCakaCarlF

Enough with Africa already. Thereā€™s basically an Africa land at AK. Thereā€™s an Africa feel throughout Adventureland. Thereā€™s the Morocco pavilion (Africa). The African Outpost. An Africa themed hotel. An African Safari. An African gorilla walking trail. A stunt show based on a character whoā€™s adventures took place in Africa. Safety videos at the hotel using characters from a movie based in Africa. Iā€™m surprised theyā€™re not piping in Toto music at this point.

Iā€™m also almost surprised Frozen 2 wasnā€™t set in Africa.

I mean I like Africa and all. But how bout something on Greece, maybe Australia/New Zealand, Spain, or Brazil.
Great song.

toonaspie

If this were to happen, it would certainly create an empowerment for the screaming individuals on social media, especially after what they did to Splash Mountain.

I think Disney would be wise to not cater to every demand the masses of Twitter users spit out. It's good to have your own vision and stick to it.

Twitter represents only 2% of the actual human population from what I understand. It is a disaster for ANY company to cave into any demands made via a twitter hashtag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom