Whoopimecalit Forever? Thankfully no...

doctornick

People forget that Africa isn't a country, it's a continent. None of Africa's countries get a fair shake in World Showcase.

Well, I think Morocco does.

But, yeah, Sub-Saharan Africa doesn't get its due. And it's actually kind of embarrassing that people are willing to lump all of those countries together and imply they are all similar while arguing that WS needs Greece or Spain or something. If anything, I think it speaks as to why having proper Sub-Saharan African country (or countries) would actually be so important as a way of promoting such different cultures to a wider public that is largely ignorant of know much of anything about those countries and what makes they unique. Africa in DAK is awesome but isn't a cultural representative of such places.

(Full disclosure: I admit that I myself am very ignorant as to the differences among various African countries, so I am speaking about myself as much as any other ignorant American)

Animaniac93-98

I'm totally down with Wakanda representation at Walt Disney World, but World Showcase sooo just isn't the place.

And neither is Africa at Animal Kingdom, for the record. Him being called Black Panther doesn't make it a story about Animals.

The Adventureland expansion plot is the best place to build it, if they were to do so.

yensidtlaw1969

The Adventureland expansion plot is the best place to build it, if they were to do so.
I'm not even sure I agree with that . . .

Adventureland is Pirates and Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise . . . veritable Disney Classics. Black Panther is a totally different flavor.

I don't like the way Studios seems to have become, like, a "dumping ground" for properties that don't sit nicely at home within the other 3 parks, but Black Panther is tonally correct for that park and would fit their revised concept of "entering the worlds of your favorite movies". I'd be happy to see it there.

LittleBuford

Enough with Africa already. There’s basically an Africa land at AK. There’s an Africa feel throughout Adventureland. There’s the Morocco pavilion (Africa). The African Outpost. An Africa themed hotel. An African Safari. An African gorilla walking trail. A stunt show based on a character who’s adventures took place in Africa. Safety videos at the hotel using characters from a movie based in Africa. I’m surprised they’re not piping in Toto music at this point.

I’m also almost surprised Frozen 2 wasn’t set in Africa.

I mean I like Africa and all. But how bout something on Greece, maybe Australia/New Zealand, Spain, or Brazil.

It is called World Showcase yet has five European pavilions to only one African (and that’s to say nothing of Cinderella Castle and Fantasyland over in Magic Kingdom). Not only does your complaint overlook this disparity, but you actually conclude by calling for the addition of two more European countries. It’s concerning to me that more people don’t recognise the imbalance, and equally troubling that so many consider a zoo—even a very beautifully themed one—the appropriate venue for celebrating Africa’s diverse human cultures.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm not even sure I agree with that . . .

Adventureland is Pirates and Tiki Room and Jungle Cruise . . . veritable Disney Classics. Black Panther is a totally different flavor.

I don't like the way Studios seems to have become, like, a "dumping ground" for properties that don't sit nicely at home within the other 3 parks, but Black Panther is tonally correct for that park and would fit their revised concept of "entering the worlds of your favorite movies". I'd be happy to see it there.
Maybe it's time for that 5th gate where they build lands from each of the IPs they've bought over the past 20 years or so...

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
It is called World Showcase yet has five European pavilions to only one African (and that’s to say nothing of Cinderella Castle and Fantasyland over in Magic Kingdom). Not only does your complaint overlook this disparity, but you actually conclude by calling for the addition of two more European countries. It’s concerning to me that more people don’t recognise the imbalance, and equally troubling that so many consider a zoo—even a very beautifully themed one—the appropriate venue for celebrating Africa’s diverse human cultures.

First off it’s not a “complaint”. It’s more of an opinion. (But sure...you can view it as a complaint if you’d like)

Secondly, The diversity argument can be made at most pavilions. BC is not a representation of all of Canada. Munich is not a representation of all of Germany. Etc.

With the exception of Morocco, Disney’s “Africa” is stereotypical.

I’ve always viewed WS more as a cultural experience rather than a “visit” to a specific country. IMO the cultural representation of Disney’s Africa has been more than covered.

If say they wanted to explore Egypt as a possibility I’d be all for that. But I’ve yet to hear that as a possibility. It seems every time “Africa” is brought up - it falls in line with either Disney’s stereotypical version or is tied to IP (which is closely aligned to the stereotypical version)

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

How is Disney’s “Africa” stereotypical?

It’s not just Disney. But Disney does more than its fair share to contribute

“But this is precisely the problem with these cultural products: they paint this “Africa” as an imaginary space but nevertheless use broad, stereotypical tropes about the continent (animals and warrior tribes and mangled accents). This inaccuracy is longstanding and pervasive in Hollywood,”

_caleb

It’s not just Disney. But Disney does more than its fair share to contribute

“But this is precisely the problem with these cultural products: they paint this “Africa” as an imaginary space but nevertheless use broad, stereotypical tropes about the continent (animals and warrior tribes and mangled accents). This inaccuracy is longstanding and pervasive in Hollywood,”

Of course there are broad generalizations made in some representations. But Harambe (Animal Kingdom Lodge are both extremely well done. I’ve spent time in the real-world places that inspired these representations, and other than the lack of African people, they are quite representative of those places.

To represent a place in at theme park (that people would actually want to attend), you have to amplify the charm and diminish the less-appealing aspects of both the culture and the built environment. Creating an idealized representation is not the same thing as trafficking in stereotypes or tropes. The difficulty in building these places is knowing what features to highlight and which ones to leave out.

The whole “Africa is diverse” argument is true, but it cuts both ways. You can’t say that Disney doesn’t represent the entirety of Africa well in a land or World Showcase pavilion because they’re not trying to do that- they’re only trying to represent a small, idealized version of specific places form an huge, diverse continent.

Chomama

Of course there are broad generalizations made in some representations. But Harambe (Animal Kingdom Lodge are both extremely well done. I’ve spent time in the real-world places that inspired these representations, and other than the lack of African people, they are quite representative of those places.

To represent a place in at theme park (that people would actually want to attend), you have to amplify the charm and diminish the less-appealing aspects of both the culture and the built environment. Creating an idealized representation is not the same thing as trafficking in stereotypes or tropes. The difficulty in building these places is knowing what features to highlight and which ones to leave out.

The whole “Africa is diverse” argument is true, but it cuts both ways. You can’t say that Disney doesn’t represent the entirety of Africa well in a land or World Showcase pavilion because they’re not trying to do that- they’re only trying to represent a small, idealized version of specific places form an huge, diverse continent.

i agree completely. I just would prefer if they add anything to the WS they call it “Kenya” or “Senegal” and focus on the architecture, language and food of that one country, as they do for each European and Asian country in Epcot. It would be generalized but not dismissive in the way that an outpost for an entire continent is.

"El Gran Magnifico"

You asked why I felt Disney’s Africa was stereotypical. I provided reference material that falls in line with my views

You’re not going to change my mind. But you can feel free to try.

CJR

If this were to happen, it would certainly create an empowerment for the screaming individuals on social media, especially after what they did to Splash Mountain.

I think Disney would be wise to not cater to every demand the masses of Twitter users spit out. It's good to have your own vision and stick to it.

_caleb

You asked why I felt Disney’s Africa was stereotypical. I provided reference material that falls in line with my views

You’re not going to change my mind. But you can feel free to try.
I was looking for a discussion, not a debate. I’m really not trying to change your mind, I’m expressing mine. But if you’re not open to changing your opinions, why participate in a discussion board?

The links you posted were great. Stereotypes unfairly reduce people, places, and cultures to those aspects that most stand out to the majority. The end result is a false representation (and lots of people the basing their opinions on that false representation.

I disagree with your opinion that “Disney’s ‘Africa‘ is stereotypical” because most of the “African” areas they’ve created are very representative of the places they’re based on. My opinion is based on personal experience in many of the places represented in World Showcase and Animal Kingdom.

Also, the sentiment, “Don’t they already have enough ‘africa’ in the parks?” sounds very biased and ignorant to the diversity of cultures, landscapes, and architecture across the continent.

_caleb

I would imagine some of the folks at Disney have regretted the “real country” approach to World Showcase over the years. If they were to change the entire thing to “fictitious and fantastical worlds,” there wouldn’t be these comparisons to real-world places and all the limitations of problematic representation.

A lot of the places that fans are calling for seem like they’d be very difficult to do well in a WS pavilion. You quickly get stuck somewhere between “too stereotypical” or “unrealistic” or “boring.” Desert environments, for example (Morocco pavilion notwithstanding), or any place with ancient ruins are the kinds of places that come to mind as particularly challenging.

My preference is for some basis in real places and cultures, but imagine how much WDI could do if they freed WS completely from reality and featured pavilions with Wakanda, Arendelle, San Fransokyo, Zootopia, Atlantis, etc.

LittleBuford

First off it’s not a “complaint”. It’s more of an opinion. (But sure...you can view it as a complaint if you’d like)

Secondly, The diversity argument can be made at most pavilions. BC is not a representation of all of Canada. Munich is not a representation of all of Germany. Etc.

With the exception of Morocco, Disney’s “Africa” is stereotypical.

I’ve always viewed WS more as a cultural experience rather than a “visit” to a specific country. IMO the cultural representation of Disney’s Africa has been more than covered.

If say they wanted to explore Egypt as a possibility I’d be all for that. But I’ve yet to hear that as a possibility. It seems every time “Africa” is brought up - it falls in line with either Disney’s stereotypical version or is tied to IP (which is closely aligned to the stereotypical version)

I’m not sure how any of this responds to the specific point I made.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom