Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowrbazzle

My guess is that 2019-2020 flu season was a touch less severe than the models predicted. I Googled and found an article from April that listed it out by weeks. It didn’t have January, but it did have February. For those weeks it was hitting 95-96% of expected. IMO, that’s pretty accurate. I wouldn’t expect it to be dead on, but wobble around the expected, sometimes high, sometimes low, as long as there isn’t something significant (like a pandemic). The bar graph may be giving the impression that it’s more than a few percentage points? There is no scale shown for the under.
That makes sense and that's a good point about the scale. Given the scale of the positive side of the y-axis, the drops do appear to be relatively small.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Nearly three months since Universal Orlando reopened its theme parks, about 840 employees at three hotels on the property are now out of their jobs as the the industry continues to struggle with a slow recovery in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

About 840 employees at Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel and Cabana Bay Beach Resort are indefinitely furloughed or were permanently terminated, according to a notice filed with the state this week.

“Unfortunately, the global pandemic surrounding COVID-19 has forced Loews Hotels & Co to make some difficult decisions as it relates to our workforce. Team Members are the backbone of our company and rest assured, these measures were not taken lightly,” said spokeswoman Jennifer Hodges, adding the three hotels are still remaining open."

With more added, it looks like this could be more than double the initial number reported (2130, plus an additional 176 at a support facility), according to WARN site -

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 3.59.44 PM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Could we be looking at Orlando being in recession alot longer then after the rest of the country has recovered economically?
This recession is hitting travel and tourism a lot harder than most have in the past. I’d say any place that relies on those industries will be slower to recover because they also have a trickle down effect. So many other businesses in the area depend on the major tourist attractions for business. One area that is still unknown is if the federal government will offer any type of bail out money for hotels or tourist attractions. They started with the airlines, but if there’s some government help for hurting businesses some may pull out of this sooner or avoid closing for good. That plays a big part in how bad the lasting economic damage is.

Chip Chipperson

Could we be looking at Orlando being in recession alot longer then after the rest of the country has recovered economically?

It wouldn't surprise me, given how much of their economy relies on tourism. If the economy rebounds quickly enough then maybe it won't be so bad, but vacations are a luxury expense and fewer people will have money for luxury spending in the short term - and those who do might be more cautious while they see how their employers rebound so they don't spend money on a vacation and find out they're out of a job a month later.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"New Jersey and California on Monday took a big step toward resumption of their pre-pandemic economies by allowing restaurants to begin limited indoor dining, as new coronavirus cases abated nationwide even as some new hotspots emerged.

The two states are among the few that have continued to ban indoor dining while most others have lifted restrictions, according to the National Governors Association.

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy said the state’s restaurants and movie theaters could open for indoor service on Friday for the first time since a coronavirus shutdown in March. But they must limit indoor patrons to 25% of their capacity, and space seating between groups in accordance with social-distancing rules, Murphy said at a news conference."

"California will immediately allow indoor dining in 19 counties, including San Diego. Gyms, houses of worship and movie theaters in those counties are also open for indoor activities with limited capacity.

While indoor dining bans are still in effect in California counties where most residents live, hair salons were allowed to reopen statewide on Monday with modifications under a system unveiled on Friday by Governor Gavin Newsom."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"New Jersey and California on Monday took a big step toward resumption of their pre-pandemic economies by allowing restaurants to begin limited indoor dining, as new coronavirus cases abated nationwide even as some new hotspots emerged.

The two states are among the few that have continued to ban indoor dining while most others have lifted restrictions, according to the National Governors Association.

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy said the state’s restaurants and movie theaters could open for indoor service on Friday for the first time since a coronavirus shutdown in March. But they must limit indoor patrons to 25% of their capacity, and space seating between groups in accordance with social-distancing rules, Murphy said at a news conference."

"California will immediately allow indoor dining in 19 counties, including San Diego. Gyms, houses of worship and movie theaters in those counties are also open for indoor activities with limited capacity.

While indoor dining bans are still in effect in California counties where most residents live, hair salons were allowed to reopen statewide on Monday with modifications under a system unveiled on Friday by Governor Gavin Newsom."

1598916149429.png

1598916179508.png

1598916231581.png

1598916286253.png

DisneyCane

ToTBellHop

Interesting that California's spike is coming down at a slower rate than Florida despite the much stricter measures taken there.

I predict that New Jersey will stay low and steady as they continue to reopen due to the spike in April which was likely much higher since testing capacity was an issue back then.
CA has far more areas with densely packed people. FL has Miami, which is still a mess. Orange County (in FL) actually isn’t too densely populated. Meanwhile the OC in CA is a bastion of anti-maskers, don’t-put-my-freedom-to-get-a-haircut-ahead-of-your-grandma’s-life types. So it’s not surprising at all. At least the conspiracy theorists in FL live in areas where they are outnumbered by gators. Hard to do damage when no one is around. People think CA is all liberal but it’s really not. The overall mix has left 55% of people in CA admitting they wear masks compared to 62% in FL. Who would have thought?

Last edited:

mickeymiss

Just popping in to say that we returned from Disney on 8/19. We had a great time. It felt so safe and secure. We didn't encounter anyone not complying with rules. We have been back for two weeks and have remained healthy. I had never been on flight of passage and it was so amazing. Short waits for everything. We had so much fun and felt so safe. Disney is awesome. They didn't let us down.

SamusAranX

CA has far more areas with densely packed people. FL has Miami, which is still a mess. Orange County (in FL) actually isn’t too densely populated. Meanwhile the OC in CA is a bastion of anti-maskers, don’t-put-my-freedom-to-get-a-haircut-ahead-of-your-grandma’s-life types. So it’s not surprising at all. At least the conspiracy theorists in FL live in areas where they are outnumbered by gators. Hard to do damage when no one is around. People think CA is all liberal but it’s really not. The overall mix has left 55% of people in CA admitting they wear masks compared to 62% in FL. Who would have thought?

Well thanks for stereotyping rural Floridians :rolleyes:

mickeymiss

I have avoided this thread until I could confidently say that we were healthy after our stay. Those Florida numbers came shooting down fairly soon after we went. I'm glad to see that. What a difference. I hope they keep it up. I think it's impressive. Disney really had their act together.

Disstevefan1

It’s too bad mask wearing got political. The fastest way to get the numbers down and get everything open and folks making and spending money again would have been if everyone wore masks for a few months. It’s all about the numbers. 100 percent compliance in mask wearing would have drove down the numbers fast. It’s too bad....

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s too bad mask wearing got political. The fastest way to get the numbers down and get everything open and folks making and spending money again would have been if everyone wore masks for a few months. It’s all about the numbers. 100 percent compliance in mask wearing would have drove down the numbers fast. It’s too bad....
Social distancing > mask wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom