News Disney world attendance down 80%??

eliza61nyc

Original Poster

I got this across my scroll this morning, my apologies if this has been posted. Here's my question, as @Sirwalterraleigh will attest to I know zippo about the business side of the parks so this is more of a general question about attitude.

Why do we (general public and specifically business execs) think that in a middle of a pandemic, things are going to look any where remotely "normal"??

DisneyDebRob

Most of us don’t. There is no rational to even think that it would be. Pandemic, less income, lost jobs, less value, uncertainty, fear in a lot of case,.. etc etc..etc..etc. It’s going to be a very very long time to go back to what we consider normal again.
From conventions to sporting events etc.. all contribute to less people traveling to Florida and that also means less people to Disney. It all adds up.

ImperfectPixie

I got this across my scroll this morning, my apologies if this has been posted. Here's my question, as @Sirwalterraleigh will attest to I know zippo about the business side of the parks so this is more of a general question about attitude.

Why do we (general public and specifically business execs) think that in a middle of a pandemic, things are going to look any where remotely "normal"??
Didn't read the article, but from the title it sounds like they're ignoring the fact that Disney has super low caps on attendance right now.

Lilofan

The way the company will eventually be set up will be different. If some think the not having college program cast, part timers, many that are still furloughed will save jobs from being lost in the future, that's not even remotely realistic.

Disstevefan1

The business insider article was just looking for click bait? Like you say, the 80% decline is by design! Self imposed by Disney to enforce social distancing. This is not shocking news, the piece should not have been written.

Jrb1979

The business insider article was just looking for click bait? Like you say, the 80% decline is by design! Self imposed by Disney to enforce social distancing. This is not shocking news, the piece should not have been written.
Disagree. While some of it was by design, the fact they can't fill resorts right now says they aren't meeting their attendance goals even if capped.

sbunit

Yes, it’s a combination. Obviously it’s impossible not to have significantly lower crowds when you’re limiting capacity to less than 50%. But at the same time, I would guess the majority of potential guests simply aren’t coming back until the experience is restored to the same level as the expense. Simple economics.
For me, there’s no way I’m going back until that is the case. I’m not even interested in the resident discounts until:
- No mask requirement
- Normal operating hours are restored
- No limitations on park choice/hopping
- Restoration of evening entertainment
Is that 2 years from now? Maybe, but I won’t be there until then

I fully and wholeheartedly agree. But I predict all that will be restored by late spring or early summer 2021. I can't see Disney going through another fiscal year or "busy season" like this. They know they have to restore everything you've mentioned to regain the attendance level required to meet profitability margins. This is not sustainable for Disney. Once the vaccine hits the market Disney will start shifting gear soon after

Jrb1979

I fully and wholeheartedly agree. But I predict all that will be restored by late spring or early summer 2021. I can't see Disney going through another fiscal year or "busy season" like this. They know they have to restore everything you've mentioned to regain the attendance level required to meet profitability margins. This is not sustainable for Disney. Once the vaccine hits the market Disney will start shifting gear soon after
They may restore everything but the demand is highly unlikely to return that quickly. People are being laid off everywhere and won't have to money to go.

sbunit

They may restore everything but the demand is highly unlikely to return that quickly. People are being laid off everywhere and won't have to money to go.

Agree. personally, I have no prediction on the timeline as it relates to demand as that is a very fluid and complex situation considering the current state of affairs. However, I do personally believe Disney restores everything by spring/summer 2021 in hopes of starting to influence and improve demand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Didn't read the article, but from the title it sounds like they're ignoring the fact that Disney has super low caps on attendance right now.
By design...the question is why?

My bet is that they know there’s little demand...more than legality. They also are going for follow the prominent epidemiological assessments for the next 6 or months. They’re not good.
I honestly don’t see your angle to continually down play the slow nature of reality?
Are you trying to get extra shifts at magic kingdom stroller rental or something?

It is what it is.
Those numbers are based on very dubious data collection. I wouldn't put much stock in that report at all regarding specific numbers. I believe the "analyst" also concluded EPCOT is outperforming MK and Studios.
Specifics? No. It’s a guess...only the rat knows.

But I still have seen nothing to indicate either the business level or prospects is indicating anything close to normal anytime soon.

MurphyJoe

Plus, it's not going to help the Mouse that they've established visitors need to prebook everything months before arrival. Even with policy changes to reduce prebooking requirements, websites and mindsets don't change quickly. I'm going to assume with COVID more people are doing basic research before deciding on a trip. Seeing if you want to experience an attraction or eat in a particular restaurant then you should've booked last month, at least historically, could assist in keeping numbers down.

Disstevefan1

By design...the question is why?

My bet is that they know there’s little demand...more than legality. They also are going for follow the prominent epidemiological assessments for the next 6 or months. They’re not good.

I honestly don’t see your angle to continually down play the slow nature of reality?
Are you trying to get extra shifts at magic kingdom stroller rental or something?

It is what it is.

Specifics? No. It’s a guess...only the rat knows.

But I still have seen nothing to indicate either the business level or prospects is indicating anything close to normal anytime soon.
Fact is, there are folks who want to go to WDW and are simply PREVENTED. The travel ban is preventing international visitors. I know everyone hates APs, but they are prevented from going. I canceled my AP as soon as the park reservation system was implemented, the passes I paid for had no blackouts and I knew the weekends (the only time I could go) would be immediately scooped up.

Disney should open up the calendar for APs. APs spend money on every visit, I know I did, every time I stepped into a park.

Jrb1979

Fact is, there are folks who want to go to WDW and are simply PREVENTED. The travel ban is preventing international visitors. I know everyone hates APs, but they are prevented from going. I canceled my AP as soon as the park reservation system was implemented, the passes I paid for had no blackouts and I knew the weekends (the only time I could go) would be immediately scooped up.

Disney should open up the calendar for APs. APs spend money on every visit, I know I did, every time I stepped into a park.
It still doesn't make up for the lack of resort guest spending. Yeah let's take away from all resort guests and let AP holders fill the parks cause that will bring in high revenue. 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

But there’s no money in APs...that’s the problem with the “they should open it up to APs...”

Why?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom