Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

olie64

Teacher in Florida Here:

So in our district we refer students who we send to get tested...... or who inform us that are positive..... to the health department. The health department is responsible for tracing and reporting. This is a sticky area for schools because student privacy is crucial, and we are still bound by FERPA laws. People are understandably concerned about COVID, but I think sometimes they forget that there are other laws and rules we have to follow that are outside of and/or supersede COVID safety.

So it is no different than keeping a student's mental health information private.

I teach in Indiana and it is a mess once cases start popping up. With a massive range of school reponses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Something to be said for common sense medicine.

Well, it only makes sense. Even though some people who've recovered from COVID have had subsequent positive tests, we haven't seen them actually get re-sick from the virus. Though, the virus hasn't been around more than 9 month, there's been no wave of re-sickening that would happen if reinfection was as common as these after-positives would suggest.

Jedijax719

I teach in Indiana and it is a mess once cases start popping up. With a massive range of school reponses.
And that's the problem. There needs to at least be swift, immediate, effective STATE mandates about what to do if there are cases in schools. For every case, a LOT of students (and teachers) would need to be quarantined and those rooms shut down for a few days. That is happening in some places, but not everywhere.

Dave Z

A relatively uncommon disease with a 98% recovery rate would be much less of a concern. But an extremely infectious disease that has the potential to infect half or more of the population without mitigation measures, if 98% of the cases recovered, that would still leave about 1.5 million people dead in the US alone. Any infectious disease that has more than a marginal death rate is likely to leave severe after effects on a significant number of the people who recover.

And I think I saw somewhere else that COVID-19 is already the 3rd leading cause of death in the US, despite essentially not existing here until March.
I saw the same thing third leading cause of death this year and moving up the list

Disstevefan1

....until cases don't get reported at all, which is what districts are being told to do by the state government. In that case, the war is on. Cases will leak to the media and when the public learns about this before parents and staff are notified, the @#$% will hit the fan! Districts are worried about funding but aren't worried about losing millions in lawsuits.

In my opinion, If a particular party wins on Nov. 3, you will not hear another word about COVID after the third.

DisneyDebRob

In my opinion, If a particular party wins on Nov. 3, you will not hear another word about COVID after the third.
This is not a thread for politics. Everyone, no matter what side you are on, should be worrying about all of it. From the massive amount of deaths, to businesses failing, to families struggling. It’s not a political thing it’s a human thing.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

This is not a forum for politics. Everyone, no matter what side you are on, should be worrying about all of it. From the massive amount of deaths, to businesses failing, to families struggling. It’s not a political thing it’s a human thing.
When you show me a unbiased news report or, even better, one with appropriate context, then I’ll agree it’s not political...until then, it is, and I’m saying this for both sides of the aisle.

Touchdown

I continue to be astounded when people continue to think that a global pandemic being talked about and countries being affected around the world is somehow a hoax/and or minor item blown out of proportion by the news media to cause a political party in the US to gain power.

Don’t trust the US media, turn on the BBC, or Australian networks, or even New Zealand networks; Covid is front page news around the English speaking world. You will hear a good deal about it after November no matter who wins, at least until it is either eradicated via vaccine, or becomes less harmful to human hosts.

Heppenheimer

I continue to be astounded when people continue to think that a global pandemic being talked about and countries being affected around the world is somehow a hoax/and or minor item blown out of proportion by the news media to cause a political party in the US to gain power.

Don’t trust the US media, turn on the BBC, or Australian networks, or even New Zealand networks; Covid is front page news around the English speaking world. You will hear a good deal about it after November no matter who wins, at least until it is either eradicated via vaccine, or becomes less harmful to human hosts.
And the French-speaking world... and the German-speaking world... and the Dutch-speaking world... and probably the majority of language spheres around the world, although I can only personally vouch for the languages I have some knowledge of.

Kevin_W

Yes, it is mindblowing that people think this is somehow election-related. As another example, Covid restrictions are the lead article on The Brussels Times today and Belgium does not have a fenderal election until 2024, I believe.

I assume it's a form of denial/coping mechanism.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.39.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.39.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.39.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.40.15 AM.png

DisneyDebRob

It’s a global conspiracy, you should know that! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom