The [Dis] Influencer- One Year Anniversary

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
First posted to MAGIC on 8/18/19
Happy Sunday everyone! Just in time for Sunday brunch, a shocking new column from Gary Snyder about the Walt Disney Company. Get your bagels and cream cheese, pick up the freshest seasonal fruits from the farmer’s market and settle in for a helluva read.

“Al”, you might want a tall, hot mug of black coffee instead.

the.dreamfinder

Original Poster
Wow, has it really been a year since I found out my good internet buddy for the past 12 +years was actually the best man at @Darkbeer1 ‘s wedding and a secret agent for Disney!?
More that Al increasingly passed off copy written by a Disney employee as his “columns” to the point they ceased to be his columns, they just happened to be written in his voice.

TP2000

And then two days later, I joined.

That's truly what we should be celebrating.

Maybe @TP2000 can share with us the truth of it all over a nice martini (made with gin, clearly)?

Yikes. I'm still here in La Jolla right now, in the lull between the family leaving and a few friends arriving this weekend, and I'm afraid I can respond to your kind call out with nothing more than this glass of mid-range Chardonnay on the patio. Do I dare try and rustle up something stronger in this heatwave?

But... has it really been a whole year? I guess it has. I am remembering the day this happened, the open-mouthed stunned face I first read the news to, followed by gales of laughter and a mandatory trip to the bar cart in celebration. Then I remember trying to quickly catch up on a story that was hours old and that everyone was talking about, and I remember some person here (forgive me for not remembering exactly who) that noticed I was finally online and reading through the thread and Liking certain posts who said "Guys! He's online and he just Liked my post! Just act natural!"

If anyone here remembers who said that, or can claim it as their own, please speak up. That comment sent me from laughing and guffawing into rolling on the floor hysterics that evening.

What a funny little chapter that was last summer. I can't believe it's already been a year! 🧐

TP2000

The article was poorly written and overly dramatic, but my experience on these boards has supported some of the allegations in it.

It’s also the reason I don’t visit micechat anymore.

It's so funny you say that. I went and looked at that site about a week ago, for the first time in forever (sorry Anna) and it seemed so... sad. Corporate. Canned. Lacking any real personality or zip. And their message boards are a ghost town.

The world has certainly changed since the 2000's.

_caleb

It's so funny you say that. I went and looked at that site about a week ago, for the first time in forever (sorry Anna) and it seemed so... sad. Corporate. Canned. Lacking any real personality or zip. And their message boards are a ghost town.

The world has certainly changed since the 2000's.
Though I’ve said many times that I was amazed how quickly everything returned to normal here on this site despite the article’s implications.

Mac Tonight

It has ironically been more than a year since "the neighbor lady" last graced us with any juicy gossip (via @TP2000 of course)...

Coincidence??? I wonder...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

TP2000

And then two days later, I joined.

That's truly what we should be celebrating.

Maybe @TP2000 can share with us the truth of it all over a nice martini (made with gin, clearly)?

Okay, quoting you again. It was news to me that this random August Tuesday was an anniversary of any sort. But now that I realize what it was, and how hilarious it all was, I'm going to try and live up to your expectations by making a special concoction for apres' dinner.

I will be plucking a ripe lemon from the tree this evening and making a fresh La Jolla Sidecar as this evening's Nightcap. It reached 80 degrees in La Jolla today, which is very hot for August, and it's only 75 as I type. We need something refreshing. I hope you approve.

La Jolla Sidecar Recipe:

1 and 1/2 jigger Hennessey VSOP Cognac
1 jigger Cointreau
1 jigger freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon C&H extra fine sugar
1 Orange peel piece
1 thinly sliced Orange wedge

Combine all liquid ingredients and C&H sugar in cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Take a chilled coupe glass and rub sliced Orange peel around rim. Strain liquid ingredients into coupe. Twist Orange peel over coupe to spritz with Orange oil. Add sliced Orange to top. Toast to summer!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

OH gawd.....I clearly recall when all this drama went down last year.

I was honestly stunned by the accusations against TP, and remember my first post expressing concern for him and how I hope this doesn't mean we will never see him share his comments here again.
I was very glad and quite relieved when he did join us a day or so later and gave his side of the story.
Then the entertainment began in earnest...and I'd be up until 2am locked in heated awe at the saga unfolding.
Yeah, I need to get a life....

Things got pretty ugly....some posters on here were being absolutely brutal during this period and the fur was flying.
And let's not forget the famous sequence of events that caused some true colors to be shown ( MC reps....cough )
It took like what seemed like a month for the dust to finally settle.
Man, what a crazy roller coaster ride!

Truly, I am glad this all blew over and TP is here to this day and wasn't 'chased off'.
This forum would be a lot less insightful and entertaining with his absence.
Love ya, TP!

:)

-

Last edited:

_caleb

I’ll admit to spending the last few minutes reviewing the ”Expose” thread in the WDW boards. I’m reminded of how crazy that was: posts early in the thread trying to find out which people named in the article were which WDWMagic members, the brief and emotional appearance of @photomatt insisting the whole thing wasn’t true, the bizarre outburst from @TheWalrus...

Like many threads, the conversation eventually devolved into yet another Star Wars thread. But it certainly made me suspicious of pretty much everyone on here.

But it was that thread where I discovered some of my favorite members to follow: @tirian, @Tom Morrow, and @andysol (the super-sleuth who connected all the dots but hasn’t been back here since December of last year, which now that I think about it is extremely suspect given the nature of that whole conversation).

I can’t seem to find the parallel thread from the Disneyland boards. Wasn’t it called, “Al Lutz Returns” or something like that?

TP2000

Truly, I am glad this all blew over and TP is here to this day.
This forum would be a lot less insightful and entertaining with his absence.

:)

Oh, how absolutely sweet of you!

If it helps any, when I think back on all this a year ago, what I remember most was some hysterical gales of laughter. And that even seemed to upset some folks even more, which only made it funnier.

But what also came out of that bizarre little chapter was a series of kind correspondences where I strengthened longtime friendships and also made some new ones. And a few folks here even know the true backstory to the whole thing, which makes it even more amusing. ;)

But as the past six months have shown us, all of that seems so trivial and silly now. Although Disneyland may still be closed after six long months, with no known reopening date, you and I are still here! Cheers to that, my dear lady! :D

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom