Perrey and Kingsley are going be getting some fresh royalty checks next year..

brb1006

Not one of my personal favorites but I fail to see how it so much worse than some of the other stuff that has been done. The 20th Anniversary parade wasn't exactly high art either. Fun and entertaining but far from being a spectacle of sophistication and grandeur; big inflatables dressed in Mardi Gras gear and everybody partying.
What about "Remember The Magic Parade"?

SteamboatJoe

What about "Remember The Magic Parade"?
Probably more in line with what I think many would expect a Disney parade to be, especially casual attendees. Nostalgic for its homage to the 25th Anniversary for which I think it struck the right tone. The Zip a Dee Doo Dah arrangement was super catchy but was just looped if I recall correctly which made the soundtrack repetitive.

Last edited:

brb1006

Probably more in line with what I think many would expect a Disney parade to be, especially casual attendees. Nostalgic for its homage to the 25th Anniversary. for which I think it struck the right tone. The Zip a Dee Doo Dah arrangement was super catchy but was just looped if I recall correctly which made the soundtrack repetitive.
Does Share A Dream Come True Parade count as an anniversary parade since that debuted in 2001 (WDW's 40th Anniversary year)?

Communicora

Premium Member
I've said this often in the last few months but ever since COVID, I never realized how many folks on the boards don't care about shows, parades, fireworks, meet and greets, restaurants, and resort hotels. Hell, even the Electrical Water Pageant can't catch a break. When it was suspended and/or killed, folks cheered!
They had better bring back the Electrical Water Pageant! It's one of those charming extras that make a WDW vacation special.

rodserling27

I seriously don’t understand the snottiness towards Paint the Night on these forums, or the Main Street Electrical Parade for that matter. Both are fun parades that people enjoy watching. PTN is excellent and gets crowds excited. Every time I saw it run at Disneyland, the entire crowd was singing along to the music. That’s the kind of joy that, frankly, visitors are desperately going to need when parades are able to safely return to the parks.
I don't speak for others, but I can tell you why I can't stand "Paint The Night." It's the music, mostly. It's the same generic, four-to-the-floor-style pop music that has dominated the FM airwaves for the better part of the 2010s. There's nothing unique or "Disney" about it. It feels super cold, over-produced, overhyped, and completely impersonal. The floats don't do much for me either; some of them are cool but generally I'm not impressed by computer screens. Hanging lights a certain way to make it look 3D is much more impressive to me. The "Disney's Electrical Parade" / "Disneyland presents Main Street Electrical Parade" logos on the DEP/MSEP bass drum are much more impressive and eye-catching to me than PTN's computerized logo on their bass drum. Not to mention its other excessive use of screens combined with rather generic lights.

Despite its age, I find the music for MSEP to be bouncy, memorable, happy, and unique. (Well..the 1970s version anyway! The 2001/2010 remake is OK.) I understand people can't stand the music for it, but I can't get it out of my head, much like "it's a small world." The way in which they mix the float music to the "Baroque Hoedown" underliner is genius. The floats might not be as technically impressive as SpectroMagic or PTN, but they feel more natural. Like they were created by a team of people whose primary goal was to make something cool. Paint the Night feels like it was "calculated carefully by committee" while aping from what came before it.

As for SpectroMagic - great parade! Not my favorite, but I did really enjoy it. I love the music for it, but I just don't think it was a good fit for a parade. It would have fit a grand fireworks show, or even something like Fantasmic instead. But I still like it much more than Paint The Night. They never should have let it rot away. Completely inexcusable and preventable.

Said Tom Fitzgerald. Then fellow management tore down the pavilion he wrote that line for.
I have a shirt that has the "dream it" quote credited to Tom Fitzgerald at the bottom. It always turns heads!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Still against bringing the parade to WDW. Don't want to see the parade move on the same street as Spectromagic once did. If anything, WDW deserves it's own special parade.
I don't speak for others, but I can tell you why I can't stand "Paint The Night." It's the music, mostly. It's the same generic, four-to-the-floor-style pop music that has dominated the FM airwaves for the better part of the 2010s. There's nothing unique or "Disney" about it. It feels super cold, over-produced, overhyped, and completely impersonal. The floats don't do much for me either; some of them are cool but generally I'm not impressed by computer screens. Hanging lights a certain way to make it look 3D is much more impressive to me. The "Disney's Electrical Parade" / "Disneyland presents Main Street Electrical Parade" logos on the DEP/MSEP bass drum are much more impressive and eye-catching to me than PTN's computerized logo on their bass drum. Not to mention its other excessive use of screens combined with rather generic lights.

Despite its age, I find the music for MSEP to be bouncy, memorable, happy, and unique. (Well..the 1970s version anyway! The 2001/2010 remake is OK.) I understand people can't stand the music for it, but I can't get it out of my head, much like "it's a small world." The way in which they mix the float music to the "Baroque Hoedown" underliner is genius. The floats might not be as technically impressive as SpectroMagic or PTN, but they feel more natural. Like they were created by a team of people whose primary goal was to make something cool. Paint the Night feels like it was "calculated carefully by committee" while aping from what came before it.

As for SpectroMagic - great parade! Not my favorite, but I did really enjoy it. I love the music for it, but I just don't think it was a good fit for a parade. It would have fit a grand fireworks show, or even something like Fantasmic instead. But I still like it much more than Paint The Night. They never should have let it rot away. Completely inexcusable and preventable.

I have a shirt that has the "dream it" quote credited to Tom Fitzgerald at the bottom. It always turns heads!

I haven't seen Spectromagic except on YouTube so I can't compare them, but what I will say is while I love MSEP and I would prefer they'd do something new that would blow us all away, Paint the Night will bring SO much joy to my children that I don't really care if it's not "up to par" with the older parades. And that's what it's all about to me.

brb1006

I haven't seen Spectromagic except on YouTube so I can't compare them, but what I will say is while I love MSEP and I would prefer they'd do something new that would blow us all away, Paint the Night will bring SO much joy to my children that I don't really care if it's not "up to par" with the older parades. And that's what it's all about to me.
I remember seeing Spectromagic in person back in 2004 and 2006. The parade was perfect for MK since not only was it exclusive to Walt Disney World. But this alongside Wishes used to have Jiminy Cricket hosting both shows making it feel like Jiminy was the host for MK at night.

doctornick

Team MSEP here. Saw it at WDW, DL, DLP, and in NYC. Though much of it has changed and been discarded over the years, there's an extra-special place in my heart for the "10 Hour America" float. That's how I read it as a kid, and I'll be dam-ned if I ever call it anything else.

I've always felt that MSEP is as much a part of "classic" Disney parks as IASW, HM, Pirates, etc. I'm genuinely surprised by park loving folks who decry it as being "outdated" while having loving nostalgia for the low tech effects in classic rides. YMMV.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom