Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which school are you referring to when you say they should make it to November? We start with kids (choice option) on September 8. I don't see us going much past 2 weeks before having to close down. Supposedly the governor said that schools can't close more than 5 days if there is a case. If that is the situation, it will be 5 days at a time, every other week.
We are starting all virtual at least until November. At some point before then they will reassess of physical school can open. I still think there’s a better chance of success in Sept/Oct then waiting until Nov to start physical school. Once cold and flu season gets into full swing it’s going to be really hard to tell if someone has a cold or Covid with a lot of similar symptoms. Maybe the quick saliva tests will be readily available by then and that will help. Otherwise there will be a lot of kids missing school.

Archie123

Which school are you referring to when you say they should make it to November? We start with kids (choice option) on September 8. I don't see us going much past 2 weeks before having to close down. Supposedly the governor said that schools can't close more than 5 days if there is a case. If that is the situation, it will be 5 days at a time, every other week.

In Cherokee County, Georgia three out of the six high schools are closed for the remainder of August because of CV cases and students will have to learn from home. They have been in school for less than two weeks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In Cherokee County, Georgia three out of the six high schools are closed for the remainder of August because of CV cases and students will have to learn from home. They have been in school for less than two weeks.
I saw they closed a 3rd school. It’s a complete train wreck. I think that’s a completely different situation than what @xdan0920 was talking about in NJ where cases are very low right now in a lot of places. Adjusted for population size my county in PA averages about 1/8 the daily cases that Cherokee County in GA does and my district still opted for all virtual to start the year in Sept. They really never had a shot of success opening the schools there physically and without masks. I feel bad for all those kids.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They really never had a shot of success opening the schools there physically and without masks.

When positivity is so low, then restarting physical schooling is workable. However, they should never stop wearing masks while 'community spread' is out there. It's the difference between one kid not infecting anyone (or maybe just a few others) from a super spreader incident.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When positivity is so low, then restarting physical schooling is workable. However, they should never stop wearing masks while 'community spread' is out there. It's the difference between one kid not infecting anyone (or maybe just a few others) from a super spreader incident.
For sure. If the community spread is low enough and you have masks and physical distancing as much as possible that’s your best bet for success. Even then nothing is guaranteed.

oceanbreeze77

I give the new school year about 3 weeks before virtually every school has seen cases and goes back to all virtual. It's not what we should be hoping for and I hope that I am wrong. But it is what I am expecting at this point.
Everyone wants kids in school, but right now virtual school may be the best bet for getting stuff done. It will be even more of a distraction/time consuming task to keep going from open to close to open to close.

oceanbreeze77

something that should be considered is that schools closed immediately in march. We haven't seen the super spreader event in schools for that reason, and now that its happening people are like..."ohhhh...." So it is possible that even with a low positivity rate, one school could cause an explosion for a whole town.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1597665391273.png

1597665420266.png

SamusAranX

And if I meet another boomer who complains about computers being slow (but can’t type,) suggests I shouldn’t have needed loans for college because he financed his working part time over the summer, and says the government has done nothing for him (while collecting SS and using Medicare.)

It goes both ways, most people in my generation no how to cook, I knowhow to budget but it’s rich to hear older generations lecture us on that when the boomers are the ones who first embraced credit card debt (which for the record, I’ve never paid a cent of credit card interest.)

I’ll admit Ive never changed a tire, but That’s because I pay for this little service called AAA, so I will never have to. I personally would put typing as a much more required life skill, and the older generation (especially older men) can’t.

I was being slightly facetious; and I am Millennial myself ;) definitely not a Boomer or Gen X.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

No. They are so much better behaved. They are good boys and girls. The virus is CRUSHED there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This isn't meant to be insulting, but do you guys hear yourselves? You are essentially making the argument that in person schooling is dead. That CoronaVirus is simply too dangerous to have schools open. Do you not worry at all what that actually means for our kids? For their future? This is a terrifying conversation.
It sucks that kids aren’t going to school. I don’t even think it’s a matter of ”fear” of the virus that’s driving it in a lot of places, it’s the logistics of handling it. Some schools struggle with ways to do physical distancing in classrooms or on buses. Some schools don’t have the budget to do both virtual school and enhance the physical schools to be able to meet requirements. It’s an epic failure on the part of our government that this is the case. Money shouldn’t be an obstacle but it is in a lot of places.

My district has the money and to a large extent the space to do distancing. They had a really hard time with establishing protocols for quarantining and isolation. When a kid tests positive do you isolate his whole class? Works at the elementary school level, but difficult at the middle and high school level due to changing classes. Then once a kid is quarantined how do they return? Wait 14 days? Test negative? If a kid stays home sick with a headache or soar throat or cough or stuffy nose does that mean automatic 14 day quarantine or do they get a test and if negative they can come back? What they finally concluded was that it would be more disruptive to the kid‘s education to jerk them back and forth between in person and virtual schooling. That’s playing out right now in GA. Can anyone say that what’s happening there is a good thing and is the best approach? It’s a train wreck and those kids would have been better off either delaying the opening of just focusing on virtual school.

As far as what it means for their future, I don’t know the answer to that. If the districts do a good job of running the virtual learning and parents help each other and their neighbors out I think it can still be a positive experience. People need to think outside the box a little. I know with some of my kid’s friends they are forming study groups with 3 or 4 kids doing home school together. It helps with families where both parents work and/or work shift work and can’t always be available during school hours. Is any of this ideal? No. But we need to do what we have to and we will get through it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree it’s amazing the lack of forward thinking involved by so many. Why. I mean why are people actively pulling for lockdowns. It benefits us all to beat this thing and move one with life. Some people, it feels as if they’re actively excited when the numbers go bad. Simply to justify their opinions.
It goes both ways. Look how excited people are right here that there is a resurgence of cases in Europe. Recently when New Zealand had their first case of community spread in 104 days it was like Christmas morning for a few people.

drizgirl

And if I meet another boomer who complains about computers being slow (but can’t type,) suggests I shouldn’t have needed loans for college because he financed his working part time over the summer, and says the government has done nothing for him (while collecting SS and using Medicare.)

It goes both ways, most people in my generation no how to cook, I knowhow to budget but it’s rich to hear older generations lecture us on that when the boomers are the ones who first embraced credit card debt (which for the record, I’ve never paid a cent of credit card interest.)

I’ll admit Ive never changed a tire, but That’s because I pay for this little service called AAA, so I will never have to. I personally would put typing as a much more required life skill, and the older generation (especially older men) can’t.
I wonder how the boomers do with spelling and grammar.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It sucks that kids aren’t going to school. I don’t even think it’s a matter of ”fear” of the virus that’s driving it in a lot of places, it’s the logistics of handling it. Some schools struggle with ways to do physical distancing in classrooms or on buses. Some schools don’t have the budget to do both virtual school and enhance the physical schools to be able to meet requirements. It’s an epic failure on the part of our government that this is the case. Money shouldn’t be an obstacle but it is in a lot of places.

My district has the money and to a large extent the space to do distancing. They had a really hard time with establishing protocols for quarantining and isolation. When a kid tests positive do you isolate his whole class? Works at the elementary school level, but difficult at the middle and high school level due to changing classes. Then once a kid is quarantined how do they return? Wait 14 days? Test negative? If a kid stays home sick with a headache or soar throat or cough or stuffy nose does that mean automatic 14 day quarantine or do they get a test and if negative they can come back? What they finally concluded was that it would be more disruptive to the kid‘s education to jerk them back and forth between in person and virtual schooling. That’s playing out right now in GA. Can anyone say that what’s happening there is a good thing and is the best approach? It’s a train wreck and those kids would have been better off either delaying the opening of just focusing on virtual school.

As far as what it means for their future, I don’t know the answer to that. If the districts do a good job of running the virtual learning and parents help each other and their neighbors out I think it can still be a positive experience. People need to think outside the box a little. I know with some of my kid’s friends they are forming study groups with 3 or 4 kids doing home school together. It helps with families where both parents work and/or work shift work and can’t always be available during school hours. Is any of this ideal? No. But we need to do what we have to and we will get through it.
What makes me upset is there are plenty of places with extremely low spread that are still staying closed. What makes me upset is that what has been learned at places of businesses like warehouses and factories will not be considered for schools. 14 day quarantine? No. You test negative and come back. What upsets me is that, as usual, the lowest income families will be hurt the most. Just creating more disparity.
You say think outside the box? People need to stop pretending ideas and practices cannot be determined. Many places aren’t even trying to figure it out. Some school districts are delaying reopening entirely. Not even a virtual model. Just delay the first day of school for like a month?! What the heck is that. There have been months to make this top priority and come up with plans. And for many areas, nothing.

Chip Chipperson

Things are going great in NJ...

The date they first got sick shouldn't be evidence of any shady record-keeping. Realistically, if the 2 of the 4 died this month but first got sick months ago then that means they suffered with complications for months before dying. Think about it. Would you say Nick Cordero's death shouldn't have been reported when it happened because he first got sick 3 months earlier?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What makes me upset is there are plenty of places with extremely low spread that are still staying closed. What makes me upset is that what has been learned at places of businesses like warehouses and factories will not be considered for schools. 14 day quarantine? No. You test negative and come back. What upsets me is that, as usual, the lowest income families will be hurt the most. Just creating more disparity.
You say think outside the box? Many places aren’t even trying to figure it out. Some school districts are delaying reopening entirely. Not even a virtual model. Just delay the first day of school for like a month?! What the heck is that. There have been months to make this too priority and come up with plans. And for many areas, nothing.
There was a lot of resistance where I live from people who did not want to have to take their kids (especially young kids) to be tested repeatedly. It’s pretty intimidating for a 7 year old who knows Coronavirus is bad but doesn’t understand it completely and they go somewhere with people in masks and face shields and then they shove a giant q-tip Up their nose. A lot of people don’t want to put their kids through that repeatedly. So if there is no 14 da quarantine then every time someone tests positive the whole school would need to be tested? And you probably need at least a few days lag or a few tests since you don’t always test positive immediately after infection. For some parents they don’t care, for other parents it’s an issue.

I‘m not usually one of those people who says some people shouldn’t have a say or an opinion, but this is really an issue for parents with kids. Half the politically based back and forth comes from people with no kids or people whose kids are full grown. Kids shouldn’t become pawns in some political debate. Not talking about people here specifically just in the country.

Chip Chipperson

There was a lot of resistance where I live from people who did not want to have to take their kids (especially young kids) to be tested repeatedly. It’s pretty intimidating for a 7 year old who knows Coronavirus is bad but doesn’t understand it completely and they go somewhere with people in masks and face shields and then they shove a giant q-tip Up their nose. A lot of people don’t want to put their kids through that repeatedly. So if there is no 14 da quarantine then every time someone tests positive the whole school would need to be tested? And you probably need at least a few days lag or a few tests since you don’t always test positive immediately after infection. For some parents they don’t care, for other parents it’s an issue.

I‘m not usually one of those people who says some people shouldn’t have a say or an opinion, but this is really an issue for parents with kids. Half the politically based back and forth comes from people with no kids or people whose kids are full grown. Kids shouldn’t become pawns in some political debate. Not talking about people here specifically just in the country.

Also, you coud be tested too early after exposure and have what would essentially be a false negative only to get sick a few days later. Just look at how long additional positve tests were coming in for the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals after the first players tested positive. So, in that case we'd be sending kids back to school thinking they don't have it and then finding out that they're actually sick after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom