Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In the "good news" department, SalivaDirect (terrible name, BTW) has received FDA Approval. This is the test developed by Yale and being used by the NBA.

It uses saliva, not a brain touching nasal swab
It doesn't require specialized kits, or lab equipment to process the tests (things that run into supply chain issues)
It costs $4 vs $100 per test for materials, so with labor maybe $10 per test.

Which means places like care facilities, prisons, factories, schools, dorms could test people every day for a period of time to quickly identify a majority of COVID positive individuals. Accuracy is on the lower side, 88-94%, which is why multiple tests over a period of time would be necessary, but several "cheap" tests are more affordable than what the option is now. This type of test still probably won't "catch everyone" but it would give contact tracing a place to start and the ability to be more effective, which isn't happening now do to the terrible lag in receiving results.
Rutgers had a saliva test they developed too. I’m not sure why more federal dollars aren’t being pumped into research and development for this type of testing. It’s not all about a vaccine. There’s so much more we should be trying to do. Things like cruises and theme parks and colleges are places where you have a captive audience that could be tested regularly (daily) to ensure positive people are removed and isolated.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just updating this, since it's been a couple of days. It is now 8/15 and the total for 8/10 went from 22 to 82

7/19 is the high point at 179. 7/24 is at 172, 7/29 is 159. 8/5 is the current end of the 100+ days. I still don't see any signs that deaths are greatly improving, that couldn't also be simply, reporting lag. Prior to this wave, FL was 30-40 range. While 140ish is an improvement over 170, still a ways to go.
So deaths are trending down. Hospitalizations are way down, never having overwhelmed hospitals. Deaths never approached the northeast numbers. Looks like the south, and Florida in particular, stared down Covid and came out ahead. It’s a nasty disease, and is uniquely nasty towards the elderly, but upending society was never the answer. Very thankful for Florida, very thankful for Arizona, very thankful for Texas, and Sweden. I pray we have learned our lessons. Though I doubt we have, if this thread is anything to go by.

Jrb1979

So deaths are trending down. Hospitalizations are way down, never having overwhelmed hospitals. Deaths never approached the northeast numbers. Looks like the south, and Florida in particular, stared down Covid and came out ahead. It’s a nasty disease, and is uniquely nasty towards the elderly, but upending society was never the answer. Very thankful for Florida, very thankful for Arizona, very thankful for Texas, and Sweden. I pray we have learned our lessons. Though I doubt we have, if this thread is anything to go by.
It has upended society. Lots of people ended up being laid off anyways. Shutdown or not people are still choosing to stay in. Doing nothing or locking down which you are against has ended in the same result with people not working.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Since Texas, Arizona and Florida have mask requirements in all of the major population centers and each state has implemented a version of a bar ban and has also put further restrictions on indoor dining are you saying that the lessons learned are that masks, bar bans and significantly reduced indoor dining will lead to a reduction in cases? I sure hope you are right and we learned that lesson and it leads to a nationwide push to implement what appears to be very effective rules. I also hope this settles once and for all the ridiculous debate. These places had bars open, no masks and full indoor dining. Cases surged. Each state pulled back on bars and indoor dining and masks were implemented either statewide or at the local level and cases started to come down. Seems pretty easy to understand.

JoeCamel

Since Texas, Arizona and Florida have mask requirements in all of the major population centers and each state has implemented a version of a bar ban and has also put further restrictions on indoor dining are you saying that the lessons learned are that masks, bar bans and significantly reduced indoor dining will lead to a reduction in cases? I sure hope you are right and we learned that lesson and it leads to a nationwide push to implement what appears to be very effective rules. I also hope this settles once and for all the ridiculous debate. These places had bars open, no masks and full indoor dining. Cases surged. Each state pulled back on bars and indoor dining and masks were implemented either statewide or at the local level and cases started to come down. Seems pretty easy to understand.
Yep, the problem is when people feel complacent. See what happened before this spike. If they go back to doing what they did before without modification we will be here again hoping for the end of the spike.

hopemax

And Brazil? What are the lessons of Brazil?

hopemax

So speaking about the Sunbelt, my DH was just telling me about the interview an LSU infectious disease expert, on the SEC committee, gave with The Athletic concerning the safety of playing football. Do you remember, when I mentioned the video of the GA school board member who suggested that since close contacts are designated as someone who has spent 15 minutes in the vicinity of an infected person, they should re-seat students every 14 minutes...

Well, apparently this person is also taking the CDC guideline of 15 minutes quite literally. Opposing linemen aren't considered close-contacts because each play only lasts 30 seconds or so. So you don't have to worry about that there are, on average, 72 plays by an offense in a top tier college level game, 30 seconds of, "in your face, high exertion, heavier breathing than normal talking", or 36 minutes worth per game, because it wasn't 15 *uninterrupted* minutes.

Now, I am not an infectious disease expert, but I thought the thing is number of virus particles you breathe in reaching a high enough threshold. I don't think the virus cares if they shoot out for 30 seconds, then rest for a minute or two for the next play, then shoot out again. Or a less intense, but more constant stream for 15 minutes. I would have thought that the "15 minutes of interrupted contact" was a guideline for normal circumstances, and atypical circumstances such as football would have a different set of guidelines.

mickey0825

We had a trip for this past week planned that we canceled about a month ago. One of the biggest factors for us was the limited experiences and masks. We live in NY, so we took a mini trip to Hershey Park. Spent the day yesterday at the park from 10am-5pm, and like Disney we were required to wear masks in the park. Weather was decent...low - mid 80's not bad humidity and honestly the masks were a huge pain. For one day, we were able to put up with it. Those of you going for a week in Florida heat and humidity, and wearing masks all day, I give you a lot of credit. I honestly don't know how it isn't unbearable, but if you can manage it, I say that's great. For us, just no chance we'll be going until the mask requirement is gone. I know that may mean not going for a year or two (personally I think masks will be required until at least 2022) but I guess we'll just have to wait.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That’s rich. Those states are doing it right now? Good lord.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
So speaking about the Sunbelt, my DH was just telling me about the interview an LSU infectious disease expert, on the SEC committee, gave with The Athletic concerning the safety of playing football. Do you remember, when I mentioned the video of the GA school board member who suggested that since close contacts are designated as someone who has spent 15 minutes in the vicinity of an infected person, they should re-seat students every 14 minutes...

Well, apparently this person is also taking the CDC guideline of 15 minutes quite literally. Opposing linemen aren't considered close-contacts because each play only lasts 30 seconds or so. So you don't have to worry about that there are, on average, 72 plays by an offense in a top tier college level game, 30 seconds of, "in your face, high exertion, heavier breathing than normal talking", or 36 minutes worth per game, because it wasn't 15 *uninterrupted* minutes.

Now, I am not an infectious disease expert, but I thought the thing is number of virus particles you breathe in reaching a high enough threshold. I don't think the virus cares if they shoot out for 30 seconds, then rest for a minute or two for the next play, then shoot out again. Or a less intense, but more constant stream for 15 minutes. I would have thought that the "15 minutes of interrupted contact" was a guideline for normal circumstances, and atypical circumstances such as football would have a different set of guidelines.
You know the answer to these snarky questions. They are young healthy athletes. They don’t care about Covid19. And they shouldn’t.

Similarly....Bars are closed in NJ. Google “nj house parties” these kids aren’t staying home bc bars are closed. They are making their own bars.

ImperfectPixie

You know the answer to these snarky questions. They are young healthy athletes. They don’t care about Covid19. And they shouldn’t.

Similarly....Bars are closed in NJ. Google “nj house parties” these kids aren’t staying home bc bars are closed. They are making their own bars.
You don't know what you're talking about.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You don't know what you're talking about.

Ah the famous exception to the rule. Good job.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom