Poll: It's a Small World load area?

Which version of the IaSW load area do you prefer?

• The original 1971-2005 open, colorful look

Votes: 103 73.0%
  • The 2005-present Disneyland-esque look

Votes: 38 27.0%

• Total voters

fantasmicsyd

Original Poster
I recently came across some photos of Small World, pre-2005 refurb. I couldn't help but be struck by how much more, in my opinion, visually interesting it was. I loved the bright colors, twinkling lights, and fountains. It was fun and unique to WDW. It was much more open and inviting- to me, the current incarnation makes the space feel smaller and cramped. Disneyland's design is gorgeous but just doesn't work in such a small space. I liked the original so much more. What do you guys think? I'm curious to see if I'm in the minority on this.

Homemade Imagineering

I recently came across some photos of Small World, pre-2005 refurb. I couldn't help but be struck by how much more, in my opinion, visually interesting it was. I loved the bright colors, twinkling lights, and fountains. It was fun and unique to WDW. It was much more open and inviting- to me, the current incarnation makes the space feel smaller and cramped. Disneyland's design is gorgeous but just doesn't work in such a small space. I liked the original so much more. What do you guys think? I'm curious to see if I'm in the minority on this.
I completely agree with you. While I love the clocktower, I just don’t think it should’ve been shoehorned into WDW’s IASW. The original queue was much more unique, and I even loved the old BGM that used to play in the loading area. The same music that’s used today at Tokyo’s IASW.

Homemade Imagineering

Can you share the pics? I've never seen the pre-2005 Small World.
8D88E1DE-DDC7-4B04-9278-B6F707017F4E.jpeg

Yert3

I'm not sure why they felt the need to make it look like the original in California. It had it's own unique identity. Colorful and very appealing fountains. Those fountains are not only some of my earliest Disney memories, but some of my earliest memories I have of my life, as I was two years old when I first went to Disney. It's a shame they're gone.

the.dreamfinder

I'm not sure why they felt the need to make it look like the original in California. It had it's own unique identity. Colorful and very appealing fountains. Those fountains are not only some of my earliest Disney memories, but some of my earliest memories I have of my life, as I was two years old when I first went to Disney. It's a shame they're gone.
They did it for Disneyland’s 50th anniversary where the other parks gave “gifts” to WDW.

Max Duane

Less is more.

Also, the Crump clock being so close to guests lets you see how darn dirty that white textured facade can get. Very hard to clean, poor show.
Since WDW has the only “roofed” version of IASW due to the heavy Florida rain, I totally agree. It would be a nice treat to see a complete re-painting of the cue area, since guests get much more up-close and personal with the smaller clock in the more condensed loading area. The white and gold is definitely beginning to show its age.

fantasmicsyd

Original Poster
Since WDW has the only “roofed” version of IASW due to the heavy Florida rain, I totally agree. It would be a nice treat to see a complete re-painting of the cue area, since guests get much more up-close and personal with the smaller clock in the more condensed loading area. The white and gold is definitely beginning to show its age.

Not to mention the fact that almost every moving piece has been broken for months now (including the clock face itself!) and the kinetic energy it’s trying to emulate in the first place is completely gone..

Cmdr_Crimson

I remember before the refurb and where the exit is now the entrance. Their use to be a light up photo of a bunch of kids dressed up in different outfits above the exit with s "It's a Small World after All" on the sign. One thing that stood out was a girl in a Native American headress...I have been searching for that image as it was something I thought just had that great 70's vibe from the photo..Anyone know what I'm referring to?

lazyboy97o

This is another way Magic Kingdom has suffered by being considered just an imitation of Disneyland.

Disneyland‘s “it’s a small world” is the only one that is uncovered for load and unload. Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland all have indoor load and unload. Disneyland Paris goes outside but remains under a roof.

Club Cooloholic

I had never even noticed, but I guess I forgot the fountains. I love the DL version, and you are correct, trying to replicate it just makes the WDW one look dingier.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Today’s is nice - if it was clean and worked.

I’m still an advocate for removing the single roof and copying the Paris style since they share very very similar layouts. Everything would still be covered that needs to be but it would open up the area both to riders and passers by and be less claustrophobic.

yensidtlaw1969

Oh my goodness, I miss those little sprinkling fountains SO MUCH! The sounds of them, the changing colors, the smell. Thanks for bringing it back into my mind!
YES -- so much is made of the smell of Pirates and Splash Mountain, but my memory has it that Small World used to have its own distinct smell. Particularly the load area.

The ride of course does still smell like water, but not the way it used to - I think it was the fountains that kicked it up into the air in the load area. There's a home video we have of Small World from the early 90's, and any time we watch I can't help but "smell" it.

Difficult to describe . . . almost like distilled water reacting with metal, but somehow a little bit sweet . . . does that sound right to anyone else?

John park hopper

Why has WDW removed so many fountains is it a cost and maintenance issue to run the pumps. Another way Disney cuts the experience and makes more $$$$$$$

Brer Panther

Just out of curiosity, when did they install the sign above the entrance out front (the one with all the kids in the boat)? Was that part of the 2005 refurb too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom