News NOAA forecasts 'extremely active' hurricane season for the remainder of 2020

Moka

Considering how we just had a multiple month closure, hurricane closures won’t even be special anymore. Just a few years ago it was a big deal because it had been a long time since a closure.

JohnD

Keep in mind the count includes the storms to date and it took until #9 to get the first storm to make landfall as no more than Cat 1. Count me surprised when NOAA predicts an inactive season.

But if I may remind you. It's not like we haven't been here before. There were 31 hurricanes in 2005. I specifically remember Hurricane Wilma then moving to the storms named in order of the Greek alphabet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season

JohnD

Feel free to show us your predictions since yall know better than actual meteorologists. 🤷‍♂️

No one is saying don't prepare but I can't remember the last forecast that said hurricanes were going to be "below average". If you live in Florida, be safe, be smart, and as the Florida Division of Emergency Management says, "Get a plan." It doesn't mean dive under the covers and live in fear which is pretty much what a forecast for an entire season accomplishes. Just keep an eye on the forecast when storms are developing and be ready if one approaches.

stevebwv

Feel free to show us your predictions since yall know better than actual meteorologists. 🤷‍♂️
I never said I knew what the hurricane season will bring. But what I do know is NOAA is often wrong and almost always is wrong on one side of the scale (more storms). I am simply advocating NOAA's predictions be taken with the proper skepticism. When I was in school being correct 60% of the time was considered a failure.

stratman50th

I never said I knew what the hurricane season will bring. But what I do know is NOAA is often wrong and almost always is wrong on one side of the scale (more storms). I am simply advocating NOAA's predictions be taken with the proper skepticism. When I was in school being correct 60% of the time was considered a failure.
Something else to remember is just because they forecast a lot of hurricanes it doesn't mean they'll all end up in Florida or even the US. And yes, I live in Florida about 30 minutes from the gate of mouse.

Clamman73

For a tropical storm passing through NJ, it overperformed here on LI. It seemed like borderline hurricane conditions for a while...and I’m talking out on the north fork.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No one is saying don't prepare but I can't remember the last forecast that said hurricanes were going to be "below average". If you live in Florida, be safe, be smart, and as the Florida Division of Emergency Management says, "Get a plan." It doesn't mean dive under the covers and live in fear which is pretty much what a forecast for an entire season accomplishes. Just keep an eye on the forecast when storms are developing and be ready if one approaches.

:)

October82

NOAA is notorious for its over-predictions. Just as in all news, it is all about the clicks and fear sells like nothing else.

You are aware NOAA is a government agency whose job it is to provide the federal and local government with information for emergency preparedness, and not some media company trying to sell something, right?

You weren't trying to predict the weather.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Keep in mind the count includes the storms to date and it took until #9 to get the first storm to make landfall as no more than Cat 1. Count me surprised when NOAA predicts an inactive season.

But if I may remind you. It's not like we haven't been here before. There were 31 hurricanes in 2005. I specifically remember Hurricane Wilma then moving to the storms named in order of the Greek alphabet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season
NOAA is notorious for its over-predictions. Just as in all news, it is all about the clicks and fear sells like nothing else.

All it does is take the facts into account and produces a model based off those facts. It's not suggesting landfall or where the storms will hit. It's literally providing insight into what the facts say.

It's crazy how people are so much against any kind of reporting and immediately just label it as someone trying to sell fear.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Over half of NJ lost power due to the winds. A good third of them will have a 3-7 day wait to be restored.

Lines down *everywhere*. Just about every house has a pile of tree limbs on the curb for pick-up.

And that's just Tropical Storm force winds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom