On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

bryanfze55

The Florida Project is kind of garbage for a few reasons:

1. It presents this as a widespread problem across Orlando and not just fringe instances at a few motels on 192, which is the truth.
2. The kids are the main character, but the main kid's mother is portrayed as a deadbeat drug addict who refuses to get a job, which is dishonest to the people actually in this situation. Yes, there might be some, but most are in this situation as the result of low wages in Orlando, which Disney is a driving force behind. At the same time the movie heavily implies, but doesn't outright state that:
3. Disney = Evil, but then still presents Disney in a positive light at the end of the film anyway.

The result is a dishonest film without a clear statement that becomes yet another piece that exists so people can nudge each other and go "boy, Florida sure sucks!" and "haha, Disney is evil!" which are two tired viewpoints. It does present the magic of childhood innocence well, though.

A more honest film I'd like to see is the amount of 20 and even 30 somethings living as roommates all working for the parks full time because none can afford to live on their own.

Nothing wrong with living with roommates. People with great jobs in high COL areas across the country do it. Not just an Orlando phenomenon.

eliza61nyc

I would figure in a payment plan to pay off my debt but some choose to walk away and refuse to pay the bill. Taxpayers get stuck with it. - Truth
Lol, oh Lord another "I walked 50 miles in the snow while barefooted, every one else should" response.

Once again, if the choice is feeding your kids and paying a hospital bill there is no "choice". "Refusing" is luxury

Most of these folks ARE taxpayers

BigThunderMatt

Yes, if it took someone a decade to get out of a bad situation - I'd say the problem is not an external one.

Wow, thank you for showing me the light. Clearly I just needed the advice of Flynnibus from WDWMagic to get out of my situation. They are clearly the end-all, be-all of advice on how to further yourself in your own career.

You must be a joy at parties. You don't know anything about my personal struggle or that of anyone working as a Cast Member right now. Maybe try not being such a callous .

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nothing wrong with living with roommates. People with great jobs in high COL areas across the country do it. Not just an Orlando phenomenon.

Most of my friends who did not get married in the first 5 years after college all lived with roommates. Even those not living in urban areas. Heck, most lived that way until they got married.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That phone also allows you to check emails, which are a necessity. And for much cheaper than buying a computer. We've eliminated the cost of one device.

I never said you don't need a smartphone - I was inferring you don't need luxuries if you are struggling to get ahead. You don't need a iphone11 for any of that. When businesses will give you other samsung or LG devices for free. Prioritize and make sacrifices to get ahead.

Reduce all unnecessary spending - ESPECIALLY any recurring expenses. You don't need an instagram life when trying to relocate.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I never said you don't need a smartphone - I was inferring you don't need luxuries if you are struggling to get ahead. You don't need a iphone11 for any of that. When businesses will give you other samsung or LG devices for free. Prioritize and make sacrifices to get ahead.

Reduce all unnecessary spending - ESPECIALLY any recurring expenses. You don't need an instagram life when trying to relocate.

What if they got the phone at a better time in their life, and then hit hard times while they're still contractually obligated to pay?

When I was laid off in 2016 and unemployed for 6 months, I'm sure someone like you was making snarky comments about the BMW in the unemployment office without thinking... "why's he there?".

The point is, don't judge without knowing the particulars.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wow, thank you for showing me the light. Clearly I just needed the advice of Flynnibus from WDWMagic to get out of my situation. They are clearly the end-all, be-all of advice on how to further yourself in your own career.

You must be a joy at parties. You don't know anything about my personal struggle or that of anyone working as a Cast Member right now. Maybe try not being such a callous *******.

You even said in your situation it was about moving UP... better living, better pay, etc.

If you are at the bottom as everyone loves to point out about Orlando -- you can go almost anywhere, do the same thing and be better off. No one is charging fees to relocate. If you work a job you struggle to even make minimum wage at after fees and crap hours... it doesn't take much to find a basic job that pays better. You don't need a university job to get out of a $9/hr CM job. You can work at freaking target anywhere in this country and do better.

Most people are just too scared to pickup and leave. People are working at the worst job -- but act like nothing better can be found. If you are working such a horrible job - it's the EASIEST to walk away from and find something better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point is, don't judge without knowing the particulars.

The corner cases don't define the larger problem.

Besides... your situation still shows people overcommitting for their life situation.

Most are brought up with their parents spoiling them with great things.. and think they should maintain that same lifestyle as they go out on their own... so they buy that iphone on a payment plan.. because they can afford $25/month... when they never needed it in the first place and should have been saving that money for something else. Priorities - not everyone has them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom