On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Castmbr

Can’t really think if anything impacting Disney’s business more since WW2...

...because there hasn’t been anything close

You are correct.....

When the Fed , State and local gov'ts force businesses to follow rules that restrict gatherings and force a shut down of a business then ....everything going forward is COVID related. Some of the "pixie dust" people do not want to admit or hear that fact and just want Disney to be back "normal". I understand the "pixies dust spreaders" want but reality is that businesses were forced to close for a long time and at a minimum change the way they do business due to the COVID regulatory reaction. Adults will have to figure out how to deal with from a business perspective and it is going to be a huge challenge

Disney is doing their best to adapt in this new REGULATORY world for gatherings of a certain size and the fear that accompanies that regulatory action. I hope they do not cut too heavy but I anticipate ~30% of the workforce. We will see very soon. ;)

Last edited:

disneygeek90

It is just a theory and you may not like it because it suggests mask wearing is killing the economy and by extension putting people in poverty and therefore raising the non-covid death count. However, I was supposed to leave for a 10 day trip to WDW tomorrow and the number one reason I cancelled is because I don't want to wear a mask in that heat when I am supposed to be on a relaxing vacation. Masks and vacation don't mix and until Disney changes this policy there are A LOT of people here on these forums that won't be going back. This is even more striking as these forums make up the most die-hard fans.
Imagine letting a piece of cloth kill the economy. Yikes.

WDW has never truly been relaxing in the past 10 years. Fun, yes. Relaxing, no. But that's besides the point.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Even throwing out South Carolina as a quarantine state (despite the fact that SC citizens could go to Disney without quarantining if they felt like it), there are over 50 million people who could be going to WDW just in Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia. Throw in Tennessee, Alabama, and Louisiana, and you're up to 65+ million. I think that counts as plenty of people.

If only 21 million people (based on MK attendance) visit a year (and if we go with 20% are international then we go down to 17 million), that works out to 5% of the country visits every year. When you start to remove states and keep the same 5% rule, then you have a much smaller annual attendance and then split that up by day. You end up with a fraction of the attendance as a result.

Chef Mickey

You couldn't be more off. Our businesses are closing left and right. Businesses that gave been around 50-70 years. Disney attendance is about half of the reservation limit and then you have people not even showing up with reservations. With regards to NFL of which I am season ticket holder of over 20 years you won't be finding people in the stands probably for about 3/4 of the teams. My team emailed everyone basically begging them to give up their tickets for this year because if they are allowed fans it will only be about 10 percent capacity. Raiders owner has said he probably won't have any fans in the new stadium in Vegas. NFL will be losing millions. Even the NBA that is doing great job with the bubble will have owners selling their teams and first round draft picks to try and get some cash flow. Disney parks won't be returning to normal pre-covid days for at least 18-24 months. And you earlier comment about vaccine shows you are listening to too many press conferences. even if there is a vaccine by early next year which is the earliest it can come out. You will usually find the first ones aren't that effective. You also won't be able to vaccinate everyone at once. You will be lucky to get up to 5% in first few months. And yes you will need to be wearing masks at Disney for at least another year.
What businesses are closing left and right? I mean, of course small business has been hit some, but was talking about US brands like Disney because people act like they are screwed over a bad quarter.

I watch zero press conferences or news (can't stand it), but I've seen this "doom and gloom" story before. America always rebounds and I have a lot of confidence in our companies to adapt and innovate.

There will be a vaccine...mark it down and it changes the game. We are going to manage this, just like we are managing it now, with precautions and process until we have a permanent solution. If that takes 12 months, so be it. We will be OK and so will Disney Parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are correct.....

When the Fed , State and local gov'ts force businesses to follow rules that restrict gatherings and force a shut down of a business then ....everything going forward is COVID related. Some of the "pixie dust" people do not want to admit or hear that fact and just want Disney to be back "normal". I understand the "pixies dust spreaders" want but reality is that businesses were forced to close for a long time and at a minimum change the way they do business due to the COVID regulatory reaction. Adults will have to figure out how to deal with from a business perspective and it is going to be a huge challenge

Disney is doing their best to adapt in this new REGULATORY world for gatherings of a certain size and the fear that accompanies that regulatory action. I hope they do not cut too heavy but I anticipate ~30% of the workforce. We will see very soon. ;)
Ive said it for months (so what’s one more time gonna hurt? 🤪):

This new business reality - as it stands - doesn’t fit Disney parks at all. Not one bit. Limits, caution, apprehension is anathema to their mass consumption model.

The profits are made on the extra people...and the extra purchases...the two extra days you didn’t need...the extra character buffet where you don’t really eat because the DDP has stuffed you for 7 days already.

That’s the game. The large numbers and profit excesses.

I recommend everyone read Harrison “Buzz” Price’s book on the theme park revolution. I’ll send anyone a kindle copy if they want...it’s about numbers...strategically placed in the 50’s and 60’s, on steroids with Eisner and exploited to no end to “the end” by Bob.

Last edited:

Dave B

What businesses are closing left and right? I mean, of course small business has been hit some, but was talking about US brands like Disney because people act like they are screwed over a bad quarter.

I watch zero press conferences or news (can't stand it), but I've seen this "doom and gloom" story before. America always rebounds and I have a lot of confidence in our companies to adapt and innovate.

There will be a vaccine...mark it down and it changes the game. We are going to manage this, just like we are managing it now, with precautions and process until we have a permanent solution. If that takes 12 months, so be it. We will be OK and so will Disney Parks.
Yeah a vaccine that normally takes 8-10 years to develop will be ready in 8-10 months, cant see it being that effective, and it will only be available to a tiny portion at first, and you have to take three shots over the course of a week, doesn't sound to promising

Jrb1979

No one said Disney is going to close or go bankrupt but a lot of the projects are being delayed or cancelled all together. I love the optimism but it's going to be awhile for the economy to come back even years. A lot of people are going to be hurting for money soon if not already.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
American flight to Orlando was at least 90% full. On the way back it was over 80%, I asked.
All of them?

FYI: I know this person has me on ignore...but when you’re this obtuse...it’s just too much fun to NOT hit the ball back over the net

Q_Division

Ive said it for months (so what’s one more time gonna hurt? 🤪):

This new business reality - as it stands - doesn’t fit Disney parks at all. Not one bit. Limits, caution, apprehension is anathema to their mass consumption model.

The profits are made on the extra people...and the extra purchases...the two extra days you didn’t need...the extra character buffet where you don’t really eat because the DDP has stuffed you for 7 days already.

That’s the game. The large numbers and profit excesses.

I recommend everyone read Harrison “Buzz” Price’s book on the theme park revolution. I’ll send anyone a kindle copy if they want...it’s about numbers...strategically placed in the 50’s and 60’s, on steroids with Eisner and exploited to no end but “the end” by Bob.

Sounds like an intresting book. What is it called?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can have that escape staying at Hotel Breakers. When I go to Cedar Point its where I stay and have just as much fun staying there and being in the Cedar Point bubble then the Disney one. Give me Steel Vengeance over RoTR any day.
I still think magnum is my most favorite/pure enjoyment ride on any roller coaster...and it’s a long list of rides.
It's based on Disney's record of posting incredible park numbers for over a decade. Irrefutable. This virus didn't change the perception people have for Disney, their love for the brand, or their desire to go to the parks. Travel in general is down because of the virus. It will come back when the virus is no longer a thing. Which will happen sooner or later. People want to travel, go on vacation, and do stuff.

If we have viruses and pandemics that shut down the world economy every year, we are all screwed anyway. This is a once in a while event and we'll get through it, like we always do.
A decade?

Sorry to say that the parks have been open for more than a decade. And they’ve been empty/discounted before WITHOUT people fearing their lungs or killing their grandmothers.
Well... just today Dunkin Donuts announced 800 stores are closing.
Saw that. 8% of stores. And their business is the most likely to rebound quickly...if you think about it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sounds like an intresting book. What is it called?
Walt’s Revolution: By the Numbers!

He was a consultant that crunched numbers and analyzed demographics for Disney...particularly for WDW...

People forget they were cash strapped then...they had to make tons of money or they would have bankrupted.

Knowing the “why” they built what they built still holds today...it’s just amplified.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom