Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Testing drops over the weekend. Hopefully it’s back over 100K a day tomorrow, although with the testing lag it’s hard to say when the tests were performed.

Except last weekend tests were 142k/112k. Not sure why they would drop so much week to week (less people trying to get them? less lab capacity?). I guess if there is any slight positive to take it's that the week-over-week numbers are slightly lower for the past 4 days. Hopefully this is "flattening of the curve" #2 and they will soon start to drop again.

Jenny72

It's becoming increasingly clear that the virus can cause coronary/inflammation issues that lead to strokes and heart attacks. Those deaths are not always attributed to Covid because the mechanism is not fully understood and the death may come weeks after symptoms are gone (see NYTimes article), so it's unlikely that death numbers are inflated.

Maybe at some point we'll figure this virus out well enough that I'll feel ok with taking more risks, but for now it's just too big of a question mark. And despite all the attention given to partiers and restaurant-goers, there are enough people like me that Florida's economy is going to be crippled until they get this under control. If I were Disney, I'd be lobbying to have better measures in place in the state.

gmajew

Premium Member
Anyone comparing the data to NY to the other states are going to not be apple to apples... During the peak in NY we did not have the number of test as we do today in these states... So total counts are going to be up.... That is fact. That does not make it any better though... The spread is real the precautions we need to take are real. Dont compare NY to anything else it is pointless.

If we want to get this thing under control we have to do our part.... As every state every area is going to see a surge at one point no mater what we do if we go out of our houses at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except last weekend tests were 142k/112k. Not sure why they would drop so much week to week (less people trying to get them? less lab capacity?). I guess if there is any slight positive to take it's that the week-over-week numbers are slightly lower for the past 4 days. Hopefully this is "flattening of the curve" #2 and they will soon start to drop again.
I wonder how many people will just give up on getting tested vs waiting in long lines and then waiting days or even weeks for results. It could become almost like it was back in March/April when people without severe symptoms just isolated themselves instead of getting tested. I hope that’s not the case, but I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have to deal with all the delays.

oceanbreeze77

I wonder how many people will just give up on getting tested vs waiting in long lines and then waiting days or even weeks for results. It could become almost like it was back in March/April when people without severe symptoms just isolated themselves instead of getting tested. I hope that’s not the case, but I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have to deal with all the delays.
update on my test from last Friday (the 10): still no results.

DisneyDebRob

As the governor of Colorado said over the weekend.

“ "The national testing scene is a complete disgrace," the governor said, saying tests sent to private lab partners take seven to nine days, "maybe six if we're lucky."

He said the timeline renders the results "almost useless from an epidemiological or even diagnostic perspective."

Hit it on the head. The best scenario in the beginning of this was testing.. tracing.. get it under control a bit. With what’s going on now, it’s impossible.

schuelma

As the governor of Colorado said over the weekend.

“ "The national testing scene is a complete disgrace," the governor said, saying tests sent to private lab partners take seven to nine days, "maybe six if we're lucky."

He said the timeline renders the results "almost useless from an epidemiological or even diagnostic perspective."

Hit it on the head. The best scenario in the beginning of this was testing.. tracing.. get it under control a bit. With what’s going on now, it’s impossible.

exactly. The point of testing is to quickly trace and isolate. If you're waiting 7-10 days for results its practically meaningless.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
update on my test from last Friday (the 10): still no results.
That’s unacceptable. Instead of fighting about stupid semantics around statistics we should all be unified in demanding that our government does better. How is it that in 4+ months we haven’t figured out how to ramp up production on test kits and we haven’t expanded labs enough? Why are there still shortages of PPE? Why can’t I find a disinfectant wipe anywhere? There’s got to be a better way to attack this.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
exactly. The point of testing is to quickly trace and isolate. If you're waiting 7-10 days for results its practically meaningless.
Especially when a large number of people being tested work outside their home. Take WDW CMs as a perfect example. You can’t expect people who just came off of furlough and still aren’t getting full hours to sit at home and wait a week for test results every time they are exposed to potential infection. My guess is a lot of people who are tested but have no or mild symptoms assume they are negative and go about life while they wait.

oceanbreeze77

That’s unacceptable. Instead of fighting about stupid semantics around statistics we should all be unified in demanding that our government does better. How is it that in 4+ months we haven’t figured out how to ramp up production on test kits and we haven’t expanded labs enough? Why are there still shortages of PPE? Why can’t I find a disinfectant wipe anywhere? There’s got to be a better way to attack this.
I actually read a while back that the reason we are still low on disinfectant wipes is that one of the key ingredients is made in china.

Kevin_W

We have the world‘s largest chemical company in the US so they should be able to figure it out. It’s a matter of will not capability.

2nd largest actually (BASF is the largest by sales). But all of the big chemical companies are multinational anyway. My company was US, but is now British, but we still manufacture in the same regions of the world.

Kevin_W

I think our matter of will has been proven to be...quite something;)

Production of many things has scaled up quite a bit. Alcohol based sanitizer (both for hands and surfaces) is readily available these days. The chemicals in the Clorox-type wipes probably is a bit harder to scale up.

And we have scaled up testing considerably. Back in April we were talking about doing 100k tests per day. In the past few days the US cracked 800k tests per day - that is a tremendous increase in 3 months of time! now, if we're still taking 7-10 days to get results to people, its obviously still not enough, but the testing trend has been steadily upwards.

1595264528283.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom