Retroland As A Fifth Gate...Potential?

John park hopper

Some here posting feel simply because the rides are from the past it would only be relevant to a small segment of WDW visitors. However many new visitors have never seen or been on the old rides --it would all be new and different, with updates to the old e attractions IMO it would work

Last edited:

The Rocketeer

I would rather them just build spiritual successors, especially EPCOT, that is more realistic. Unfortunately people who care about quick profits, mostly everyone at the top level of the company, think that IP is the only way to satisfy domestic guests. Give someone a good attraction and they will come regardless. People still love Expedition Everest 14 years later, for example. Until Bob fully retires you will be hard pressed to find any original ideas come back in a US park. Awesome Planet seemed to be the biggest exception. Meanwhile Hong Kong got Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain, both spiritual successors to classic attractions while still being their own thing.

Paper straw fan

A bit of both would be nice- some of the less intense rides would probably be fine in a similar to original form- but something like 20k Leagues would probably need a modern remake. Shows would be an relatively easy move also.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've thought before what it might be like for Disney to have sort of a "retirement home" for rides and a park that's made up of classic attractions. Classic attractions like Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean in their pre snowflake phases could maybe go there too. LOL! Also bring back Streets of America. I loved it and it was my "resting place" in Hollywood Studios.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I would rather them just build spiritual successors, especially EPCOT, that is more realistic. Unfortunately people who care about quick profits, mostly everyone at the top level of the company, think that IP is the only way to satisfy domestic guests. Give someone a good attraction and they will come regardless. People still love Expedition Everest 14 years later, for example. Until Bob fully retires you will be hard pressed to find any original ideas come back in a US park. Awesome Planet seemed to be the biggest exception. Meanwhile Hong Kong got Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain, both spiritual successors to classic attractions while still being their own thing.
I guess technically Runaway Railway is based on original properties but I just am really not a fan of that art style and greatly prefer the more classic Mickey and Minnie look.

John park hopper

I've thought before what it might be like for Disney to have sort of a "retirement home" for rides and a park that's made up of classic attractions. Classic attractions like Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean in their pre snowflake phases could maybe go there too. LOL! Also bring back Streets of America. I loved it and it was my "resting place" in Hollywood Studios.
Yea. have dual rides ones that have been sanitized for the PC crowd and the the original version for the unclean masses

Seanual757

Would be neat but what Disney needs is a park filled with adventure rides lots of roller coasters they need to be able to keep the younger generation at Disney and not split stays between Disney and Universal.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Yea. have dual rides ones that have been sanitized for the PC crowd and the the original version for the unclean masses
Or maybe just give all the rides "trigger warnings" like "Warning: A bear and a fox chase a rabbit while bluebirds sing, frogs croak, and opossums hang. We realize this might make some guests uncomfortable and if you wish to make the lines less long we're sure no one will care..." LOL!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Would be neat but what Disney needs is a park filled with adventure rides lots of roller coasters they need to be able to keep the younger generation at Disney and not split stays between Disney and Universal.
I don't know anything about Universal because I've not been there in probably 25 years or so but do they have a lot of thrill rides? I thought their main draw at this point was the Harry Potter thing. I have noticed that they were at least marketing their park as a place where "adults" or "mature people" or whatever go. Like the commercial that said "if pixie dust and fairy tales are not your thing then come here..." but I still don't know if they have a lot of thrill rides in relation to Disney across all four parks.

Seanual757

I don't know anything about Universal because I've not been there in probably 25 years or so but do they have a lot of thrill rides? I thought their main draw at this point was the Harry Potter thing. I have noticed that they were at least marketing their park as a place where "adults" or "mature people" or whatever go. Like the commercial that said "if pixie dust and fairy tales are not your thing then come here..." but I still don't know if they have a lot of thrill rides in relation to Disney across all four parks.

They have allot of roller coasters I have not been since 2003 or 2004. The draw is all of the coasters in one place vs. Disney it's spread over 4 parks. But I feel they need to go all out and have 6-7 coasters and other thrill rides for that type that love it and keep the guests on property. Yes Disney offers the whole package for the most part they are just missing one thing.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

They have allot of roller coasters I have not been since 2003 or 2004. The draw is all of the coasters in one place vs. Disney it's spread over 4 parks. But I feel they need to go all out and have 6-7 coasters and other thrill rides for that type that love it and keep the guests on property. Yes Disney offers the whole package for the most part they are just missing one thing.
Yeah I would never say no to more thrill rides. Although, I can understand how that park would be somewhat impractical for Disney since there's already a ride swap issue with the thrill rides they do have. Yet there's certainly a demographic there for people who have kids that are in the "too cool for Disney" phase of their lives. On a side note, I just noticed that you're a DVC member also and I'm a member at BLT and my favorite thing is the sidewalk from there to the MK and I was going crazy for the GF to build one also and am curious if you're as excited about that new sidewalk as I am? LOL! We LOVE staying at GF but just don't like not having walking access to the park but that sidewalk is gonna be awesome I think.

Seanual757

Yeah I would never say no to more thrill rides. Although, I can understand how that park would be somewhat impractical for Disney since there's already a ride swap issue with the thrill rides they do have. Yet there's certainly a demographic there for people who have kids that are in the "too cool for Disney" phase of their lives. On a side note, I just noticed that you're a DVC member also and I'm a member at BLT and my favorite thing is the sidewalk from there to the MK and I was going crazy for the GF to build one also and am curious if you're as excited about that new sidewalk as I am? LOL! We LOVE staying at GF but just don't like not having walking access to the park but that sidewalk is gonna be awesome I think.

Yes we own VGF, Poly, and Riviera we are excited for the sidewalk especially in the evening not having to wait for the monorail to get home will be nice. We will be back at VGF in November, we check into SSR on Thursday for a few days.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Yes we own VGF, Poly, and Riviera we are excited for the sidewalk especially in the evening not having to wait for the monorail to get home will be nice. We will be back at VGF in November, we check into SSR on Thursday for a few days.
We don't want to deal with the masks and restrictions and are just gonna try and bank our points until things return to some level of normal. I really hope DVC doesn't start penalizing people who don't wanna deal with the restrictions.

Seanual757

We don't want to deal with the masks and restrictions and are just gonna try and bank our points until things return to some level of normal. I really hope DVC doesn't start penalizing people who don't wanna deal with the restrictions.

We don’t mind them yes it hot but we were good at DS for 3 hours plus rain. Unfortunately due to Florida time share laws it will be a use it, bank it or lose it Disney's hands are tied. The big issue is too many points for the market and they will have the domino effect to where everything will be booked out at the 11 month window and leaving tons with no places to stay and tons of points to expire. So DVC has done what they can limiting how many points you can borrow. Since we are local a few 3-4 day trips at empty resorts are nice we are banking like 100 points we are not using this year and already booked a few trips for 2021.

Walt Disney1955

Once you get past the nostalgia part of recreating an older attraction, you'd probably struggle if the attraction was built just as it was "way back when". Mr. Toad has lots of nostalgia for me as I was a MK park goer back from the beginning. But the reality is, by today's standards, it really doesn't hold up.

Mr. Toad is still very popular in Disneyland. Sometimes less is more, and this is one of those times.

That being said, if there was ever a time Disney might consider a 5th park it is now, if only because Universal is adding a 3rd gate (4th if you count the Volcano Bay water park). Remember, the reason we got DHS was because of Universal Studios coming in 1990. So who knows? But it isn't the worst idea in the world. I'd like to think "Retroland" would be a good idea, and I would visit it, but it does have to be more than just old rides. It has to have some more to it, because that wouldn't be enough.

alhenton

I think having a VR/Motion Simulator opportunity could work. Disney could re-create old rides in Virtual Reality and guests can essentially "upload" the ride they want to experience again. And you can still attach the retro gift shop. This could be a land somewhere, or separate experience in the resort.

Tjaden

Once you get past the nostalgia part of recreating an older attraction, you'd probably struggle if the attraction was built just as it was "way back when". Mr. Toad has lots of nostalgia for me as I was a MK park goer back from the beginning. But the reality is, by today's standards, it really doesn't hold up.
Meh, it's better than Journey of the Little Mermaid

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom