Talk to me about Pros and Cons of Resale/ How many points would we need.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I've been a DVC member (Boulder Ridge) for 19 years now and each year other than the first 2 have wait-listed for the Boardwalk DVC, and only was successful 6 times. So don't count on 7 month changes - they are not always successful.
What time of year, and what size room? We’ve been DVC members pretty much as long as you have, and yet we’ve gotten BWV at 7 months 4 years out of 5. All during Food & Wine. The one year we didn’t was because we stayed at BCV. Even with just the 2 of us, we always opt for a 1 bedroom, so that may make a difference as well.

Mainahman

Original Poster
No one should buy DVC as an investment. Ever. It isn’t. It is only paying for a future resort room, at a reduced cost compared to paying for a cash room. As years go on and Disney raises prices for a room, our DVC dues cost don’t go up near as much, so we save even more every year.

Yes, people like us that bought in many, many years ago could sell for a profit, but it’s not something we’d ever do. Despite what some around here think, we still see excellent value for our Disney trips.
Disney is really the place we both enjoy the most. It's where we feel finally relaxed. Even if it's a quick 3 day trip or a full week. I dont see it ending. I also don't see it as an investment opportunity. I see it exactly as you say. It's a chance to pre pay where i stay. All I have to worry about at that point really is tickets.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Disney is really the place we both enjoy the most. It's where we feel finally relaxed. Even if it's a quick 3 day trip or a full week. I dont see it ending. I also don't see it as an investment opportunity. I see it exactly as you say. It's a chance to pre pay where i stay. All I have to worry about at that point really is tickets.
You have the absolute right attitude for DVC! We have taken quite a few shorter 4 day trips, and some of those have been resort only with no parks visited. Very relaxing trips. Our normal visit is a full week trip, but the shorter ones are great as well!

Mainahman

Original Poster
You have the absolute right attitude for DVC! We have taken quite a few shorter 4 day trips, and some of those have been resort only with no parks visited. Very relaxing trips. Our normal visit is a full week trip, but the shorter ones are great as well!
See we come yearly. If we came for a shorter one, it would be for a resort only. Disney is our happy place, the only place we can fully relax. I could see AKL as a place that we wouldn't care if we went to the parks on a short stay as there's a safari right there!

aliceismad

Regarding the financing, I get emails from a couple of the resale timeshare companies and one today from Fidelity noted that the loan company they are affiliated with is waiving origination fees. I would take that as a sign that there are more sellers than buyers at the moment?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The pros:
1. Not paying Disney’s price

The cons:
1. Partially used contract
2. No pass discounts
3. Perks taken away to drive direct sales
4. It’s really hot in florida

I’d say the “pros” still outweigh the cons 👍🏻
Hmm, as far as the cons go. The money that you save buying resale more than makes up for the loss of the pass discounts. Some have done the math and found that it would take decades to break even on that, and some never would on the 2042 contracts. You can still buy the passes on your own, and then get the majority of the discounts that DVC members get anyway. Yes, you do lose certain perks, and you don't get all of the discounts that DVC offers, so each individual person has to make the decision on whether those perks/discounts are worth the extra price for buying direct.

Oh, and just don't go there in the summer. Early spring, late fall, and early winter are not too bad at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hmm, as far as the cons go. The money that you save buying resale more than makes up for the loss of the pass discounts. Some have done the math and found that it would take decades to break even on that, and some never would on the 2042 contracts. You can still buy the passes on your own, and then get the majority of the discounts that DVC members get anyway. Yes, you do lose certain perks, and you don't get all of the discounts that DVC offers, so each individual person has to make the decision on whether those perks/discounts are worth the extra price for buying direct.

Oh, and just don't go there in the summer. Early spring, late fall, and early winter are not too bad at all.
Yeah...

I kinda was only partly not joking there 😎

Anyway...I agree resale is the way to go...but not now. High prices - like actual real estate - from people looking to cash out before the reckoning.

Wait 6 months at least and see.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The money that you save buying resale more than makes up for the loss of the pass discounts. Some have done the math and found that it would take decades to break even on that, and some never would on the 2042 contracts.
For a Platinum pass for 2 people that analysis is probably right, but for a family of 4 to go from the $1,195 Platinum AP to the $719 Gold AP that’s otherwise only available to Florida residents, it’s a savings of $1,900/year. On something like 100 SSR points that’s about a 4 year payback on Resale vs Direct.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For a Platinum pass for 2 people that analysis is probably right, but for a family of 4 to go from the $1,195 Platinum AP to the $719 Gold AP that’s otherwise only available to Florida residents, it’s a savings of $1,900/year. On something like 100 SSR points that’s about a 4 year payback on Resale vs Direct.
I was speaking of those people that would normally keep the same level of pass, not go down, though I notice that the discounts this year are greater than in the past. Used to be only $100-$125, and now it's quite a bit more. An AP Plus discount was only $125, now it's $315! I haven't looked recently, since we only ever buy the Gold pass. We aren't crazy enough to go over Easter or Christmas. Would probably change to a higher level once we are local, but that won't be for a few more years.

So thanks for the correction, and people might have to take a harder look at the difference then. It does make buying direct start to look like a better deal for those who aren't members already. Yes, if you buy at SSR, you break even fairly early, but some of the others will take longer.

Club Cooloholic

If the discount keeps coming and if you can actually make use of it. The OP lives 11Hrs away(not sure if that's driving or flying). In my case there has been only one year the past decade where an annual pass might have worked for me. You could also take the in some cases extra 10 grand or more and invest it and probably come out ahead lol.

Club Cooloholic

If the discount keeps coming and if you can actually make use of it. The OP lives 11Hrs away(not sure if that's driving or flying). In my case there has been only one year the past decade where an annual pass might have worked for me. You could also take the in some cases extra 10 grand or more and invest it and probably come out ahead lol.
I should add though, I am jealous of that blue card! I am kinda hoping the lower the minimum to get one, if it was 50 points I might jump in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had aps every year for about 13 years (since I left)...all but the first 2 on the DVC discount...

I’ve had APS now 2 of the last 5...

Can’t figure out what happened? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You lost faith?
...it’s hard to answer that question (of course I’ll try anyway 🤪)

I wouldn’t say “lost faith”...I still enjoy much of the product as is.
It’s just become burdensome in many ways...just too many obstacles/marginal changes that make the “automatic” Disney trips no longer automatic.

I don’t fault Disney (completely)...and I don’t fault the customers (completely)...but there’s a huge amount of blame for both.

The “valuation” is off....but that is heightened more by the changes in the dining philosophy (a huge draw for me always) and the fastpass + debaucle.

Mainahman

Original Poster
That's driving.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Update. Got home last night from a week at Kidani Village. Personally I'm hooked. Caught my wife watching the DVC Info channel while we were there. The washer and dryer and full fridge spoiled us rotten. I'm not sure I could ever do Disney again without them. Which then brings me to a other question. We get ticket discounts through work.. so if we were DVC, and then just went that way to get our tickets, it would all work the same right? We'd have our room through DVC already taken care of, and then just link those tickets in MDE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom