Cash-Strapped Disney

Riverrafter21

A question....

With the financials not being as strong as desired, are we going to see a reevaluation of previous mindsets now that the green rubber stamp is running out of ink? Is the company going to take more time to work on projects to optimize their return rather than rushing mistakes. Such as unwanted IP injection, the Kennedy Star Wars debacle, leaning on The Rock to carry movies, and canceling marquee attractions while the park is closed/trying to re-open. I feel Iger is not far from making clam shell sequels to every movie in the catalog to dangle the Disney+ carrot.

Or is this the last days of Eisner 2.0?

Last edited:

Mainahman

A question....

With the financials not being as strong as desired, are we going to see a reevaluation of previous mindsets now that the green rubber stamp is running out of ink? Is the company going to take more time to work on projects to optimize their return rather than rushing mistakes. Such as unwanted IP injection, the Kennedy Star Wars debacle, leaning on The Rock to carry movies, and canceling marque attractions while the park is closed/trying to re-open. I feel Iger is not far from making clam shell sequels to every movie in the catalog to dangle the Disney+ carrot.

Or is this the last days of Eisner 2.0?
I think Iger will do what he feels he needs to to leave with well wishes, and Integrity, and that may also make Chapek the scapegoat. Personally, give us someone new on both levels.. so im fine with that part.

Riverrafter21

I think Iger will do what he feels he needs to to leave with well wishes, and Integrity, and that may also make Chapek the scapegoat. Personally, give us someone new on both levels.. so im fine with that part.

I wish I shared your optimism. You can't show well wishes on a quarterly earnings report, and I feel whatever emotional ties either Bob had to the the company have long withered away.

Mainahman

I wish I shared your optimism. You can't show well wishes on a quarterly earnings report, and I feel whatever emotional ties either Bob had the the company have long withered away.
I try to find the silver linings. Believe me i Hate Chapek way more than I hate Iger. Iger im just kind of Meh on... He has no personality, At least with Eisner and Wells, you had a both sides, kind of like Walt and Roy. You dont get that from tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb. Hopefully the silver lining of all of this, is they are both gone, and we can get someone new to complain about.

FigmentJedi

Yea, cause everything in the original Disneyland had no connection to a movie. Well, except Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Frontierland, Dumbo, Snow Whites Castle and a host of others.
Only thing Crockett had in Frontierland at opening was a little museum. And the Davy Crockett TV serial in general was created to promote Frontierland rather than the other way around since Westerns were a huge genre blindspot for Disney back in the day as the only other Frontierland content they could come up with for the Disneyland television show in its first year was just splitting up So Dear to My Heart and Treasure Island into serialized chunks.

Brer Oswald

Yes, but that is not a new thing with Disney. That's how hidden Mickey happened. How tributes to past attractions, props and so many other things connected have been a solid part of all of Disney philosophy. This is not a reinventing the wheel. It is also a fun thing that people like to do so where is the bad in that. Like they used to say about theaters.. "whatever it takes to put butts in the seats". So I guess because of that they probably won't stop until everything has a "search" factor because it already has one.
No. Hidden Mickeyā€™s are Easter eggs. Extras. ā€œFind Jackā€ and the like are plot lines for the attractions.

SilentWindODoom

What if they were playing on old stereotypes to mock your grandparents?

Well, that depends... Are they true? Is it going to be something that applies to a completely different region, or is it going to be something that applies? Is there malice? Because malicious mocking over untrue things or impugning character with a misinterpretation of true things would probably fall under what I said about disparaging comments.

Buuuuuuuut, malice is an important part. Are they giggling to themselves and thinking we're all having a good time not knowing what they said?

I'm not sure that a accent from any region can be a stereotype. Accents are facts not made up random situations. As stated, everyone has an accent and they are imitated constantly. New Englanders, New Yorkers, Bostonian, Jews, California dudes and valley girls, Louisiana creole, Mid west, French, Italian, Spanish, name any culture when attempting to speak another language or even their own specific dialect. Georgia, So. Carolina, No. Carolina all have specific accents. They are used by others to identify the culture not to make fun of it. Americans are not as imitated by other cultures because we are to lazy to learn another language and are obnoxious enough that think the we are special so if you want to talk to us you need to learn our language clearly.

Of course it can be. Accents can be exaggerated or misattributed. The California surfer dude and Valley Girl are very specific accents that can be attributed to the entirety of the state. The Boston accent can be exaggerated and the areas of the city where it's thickest can be attributed to the entirety of New England. The Five Boroughs of New York each have very distinct accents, but most people will just do Brooklyn to cover New York. Hardly anyone not from the South will do more than one accent to represent any state south of Ohio and East of New Mexico. Unless he's Andy Bernard. That being said, even in those communities not everyone is going to sound like that, so it's still a stereotype. Doesn't mean it's harmful at all, unless you're screaming an obnoxious imitation in someone's face. maliciously.

Hehehe. I love that it sounds like we're arguing even though we're in agreement. :hilarious:

Itā€™s militant to say that itā€™s mean and bad to mock people? Iā€™m all for comedy, but I donā€™t care for it when itā€™s done at someone elseā€™s expense. Nevertheless, Iā€™m 100% in favor of anyoneā€™s right to say whatever they like, no matter how insensitive.

It's kinda militant to say that nobody should ever joke with each other because every joke about a person should be taken as deadly serious.

Again, I point to Raj from The Big Bang Theory. He's a gigantic Indian stereotype, but he's played by an Indian man so you don't see people complaining about it. It makes one wonder, if characters like Apu from The Simpsons were played by characters of the same nationality, would they get as much flack?

I've heard South Asians being unhappy with the show because of Raj's portrayal. Personally, not, like, in the media. But he's really not a good character at all. And I don't mean his characterization. I mean objectively as a person. He's played by an Indian man, and the cultural parts of his character are accurate, but he's also petty, cowardly, doesn't get the character development the rest of the cast does, and is the only one who winds up alone at the end. Sadly, most complaints I see about Apu either assume things that aren't true without knowing the source material at all, or are based on racists that don't know anything about the source material making fun of the person.

SilentWindODoom

Lots going on in this thread, but just here to say I don't want an amusing or witty or "more musical" Hall of Presidents.

(In case Disney monitors these conversations. ;))

But that description also described School House Rock, the thing that taught so many children for decades.

It can be done in a way that doesn't denigrate the original message or anything.

Goofyernmost

Only thing Crockett had in Frontierland at opening was a little museum. And the Davy Crockett TV serial in general was created to promote Frontierland rather than the other way around since Westerns were a huge genre blindspot for Disney back in the day as the only other Frontierland content they could come up with for the Disneyland television show in its first year was just splitting up So Dear to My Heart and Treasure Island into serialized chunks.
You're probably correct but in this case it is all the same. Sleeping Beauty Castle was built before the movie came out as I'm sure Davy Crockett was on the boards before they built Frontierland.

TrainsOfDisney

But that description also described School House Rock, the thing that taught so many children for decades.

It can be done in a way that doesn't denigrate the original message or anything.

Nothing wrong with a musical teaching History. Ideally Hall of Presidents and Mr. Lincoln would remain dignified presentations.

I feel like imagineers got it perfect with the current version of HOP. It feels like a modern day documentary (which are still extremely popular... Ken Burns for example) come to life.

Iā€™d also add that I think silly versions of history like the muppets can also have a place in the parks. Liberty Square ideally has something for everyone.

- a presidential museum (the waiting area)
-the Hall of Presidents theatrical and historical presentation
- the muppets presenting a fun look at American history
- the riverboat presenting historical transportation
- the haunted mansion - not historic just a great Disney e-ticket.

If you add in some period specific live music youā€™d have the perfect balance of a Disney park land.

WDF

Nothing wrong with a musical teaching History. Ideally Hall of Presidents and Mr. Lincoln would remain dignified presentations.

I feel like imagineers got it perfect with the current version of HOP. It feels like a modern day documentary (which are still extremely popular... Ken Burns for example) come to life.

Iā€™d also add that I think silly versions of history like the muppets can also have a place in the parks. Liberty Square ideally has something for everyone.

- a presidential museum (the waiting area)
-the Hall of Presidents theatrical and historical presentation
- the muppets presenting a fun look at American history
- the riverboat presenting historical transportation
- the haunted mansion - not historic just a great Disney e-ticket.

If you add in some period specific live music youā€™d have the perfect balance of a Disney park land.

Yes, I really loved the Muppet presentations. I just don't want that in the HOP.

And to get this conversation back on the original topic...spending any money to change the HOP right now seems misguided.

Brer Oswald

I try to find the silver linings. Believe me i Hate Chapek way more than I hate Iger. Iger im just kind of Meh on... He has no personality, At least with Eisner and Wells, you had a both sides, kind of like Walt and Roy. You dont get that from tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb. Hopefully the silver lining of all of this, is they are both gone, and we can get someone new to complain about.
I donā€™t hate either of them. I actually liked Iger a lot, till the Star Wars takeover.

But thereā€™s just something insincere about the brand they created in the 2010s. Itā€™s just not quite Disney. I feel like there was a shift from preserving Walt Disneyā€™s legacy to building Bob Igerā€™s legacy. I donā€™t necessarily blame him, but I donā€™t really care. Itā€™s not why Iā€™m a Disney fan. The modern Disney Animation, Pixar, Marvel, And Star Wars often fails to make the same emotional connection itā€™s predecessors did. Itā€™s almost too calculated.

Maybe Chapek is just Iger Jr. until Big Bob leaves the chair. Maybe not. Maybe Dā€™Amaro is what the company needs to feel like it has more soul. Or maybe, they need someone who we donā€™t even know about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom