Cash-Strapped Disney

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You act as though my speculative opinion was presented as fact and then talk down condescendingly to me because you didn’t think it made sense to you?

My main point was that I don’t think Spielberg would walk away without a good reason, which we don’t know. It could be anything. I think there’s a decent chance it could be as simple as Lucas really not liking the idea of the movie, perhaps after Spielberg spoke more recently about it to him. This again, speculative. Should I put a big disclaimer that this isn’t true, please don’t take it as such? Is that necessary? I think it’s obvious nobody knows what happened exactly here.

Nobody “wins,“ that was a lame comment.

He doesn’t want to entertain the possibility that they screwed up Star Wars...that’s where the stand-offishness is coming from.

You stepped into an old “battle” that didn’t break right for stonewall (probably bad analogy?)

Let’s move on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Poppins project was back in developmental limbo before the Splash announcement. And whatever was planned wasn’t going to be all that great anyway, according to insiders.
Honestly...they made a “non-announcement” announcement...probably to take the shine off of an “unimpressive” slate of Epcot redesigns.

Common sense said poppins was not much last summer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We’re going to lose out on Mary Poppins because of some woke Splash Mountain refurb BS?! So glad I decided against renewing AP’s. This virtue signaling is pathetic.
No...

It wasn’t much in the first place and Disney doesn’t spend money in recessions...that’s why you’re “losing out”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t even watch the videos about whatever the fandom menace’s opinion on Spielberg leaving Indy V are. Are you in denial that George Lucas was unhappy about his treatment with Disney? Because fandom menace or no, that’s obviously true. We know it’s true. Iger spelled it out for us. That’s where I made that jump.

That and knowing how close Lucas and Spielberg are and have been. Spielberg had once said he would never do another Indy unless him, Ford and Lucas were all on the same page. Perhaps, he just decided to stick with that sentiment after all.

Also, you’re arguing w me over something neither one of us know and are both speculating over.
I think it’s clear that Kennedy’s a lame duck and that means Spielberg is caught between Disney and TWO of his closest friends not happy with them.

If that’s reaosnable (it is)...then why does he want to spend 3 years of his life making another movie from a pretty dead franchise that may flop?

And it’s Not like ford is a “joy” to deal with...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He doesn’t want to entertain the possibility that they screwed up Star Wars...that’s where the stand-offishness is coming from.

Wrong.

Let's posit these things as true:

1. Disney ruined Star Wars.​
2. Lucas is angry at Disney and is an outcast from Disney.​
3. Spielberg is friends with Lucas and is now outraged at Disney and doesn't want to do anything with Disney.​
4. Spielberg then works with Disney on BFG and agrees to work on Indy 5.​

Do you see where #4 is out of place?

Brer Panther

How would you feel if random (non-Hispanic) strangers imitated and exaggerated your grandparents’ accents?
Again, I point to Raj from The Big Bang Theory. He's a gigantic Indian stereotype, but he's played by an Indian man so you don't see people complaining about it. It makes one wonder, if characters like Apu from The Simpsons were played by characters of the same nationality, would they get as much flack?

That and he was “uncancelled”.

I will admit that I jumped on that bandwagon for selfish reasons (wanting him out of the ride). When the truth was revealed, I realized how stupid I was for doing what I did, and to never jump on the “cancel wave” for my own selfish motives.
Amber Heard is one of the most evil people on the planet.

Lilofan

Wrong.

3. Spielberg is friends with Lucas and is now outraged at Disney and doesn't want to do anything with Disney.​

#2 Lucas could care less what Disney thinks. His net worth currently is $5.4 billion thanks to Disney buying Lucas films almost 10 years ago.

Kamikaze

Wrong.

#1 is opinion.
#2 is false - Lucas is welcome on all sets and has been at VII, VIII, Solo, Rogue One, and Mandalorian. I'm not 100% on IX so I won't say that, but I'd bet he visited at some point.
#3 They have always been friends, yes. Spielberg not working to work with Disney is nothing but conjecture.
#4 One doesn't necessarily have anything to do with each other. However, the 'angry with Disney' talking points wouldn't have happened until after BFG wrapped, since by all accounts, Lucas liked VII.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wrong.

And yet...neither of us has moved from our positions...

Stuck in mud...we both are...with slight modifications

As far as 4 goes...speilberg is basically a “free agent” now...not tied to a studio

He can probably pick and choose what he wishes; no?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
#1 is opinion.
#2 is false - Lucas is welcome on all sets and has been at VII, VIII, Solo, Rogue One, and Mandalorian. I'm not 100% on IX so I won't say that, but I'd bet he visited at some point.
#3 They have always been friends, yes. Spielberg not working to work with Disney is nothing but conjecture.
#4 One doesn't necessarily have anything to do with each other. However, the 'angry with Disney' talking points wouldn't have happened until after BFG wrapped, since by all accounts, Lucas liked VII.
You know...I don’t completely disagree with you here...

Kumbaya

Brer Oswald

Yea, cause everything in the original Disneyland had no connection to a movie. Well, except Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Frontierland, Dumbo, Snow Whites Castle and a host of others. In my opinion, absolutely nothing was damaged by the inclusion of Captain Jack in Pirates. In fact, it may have extended the franchise by decades. It gave newer generations something to relate too. They did far more damage by losing "the Redhead scene". Disney has always had a mix of original things and borrowed ideas. Now all of a sudden it is like someone has stolen the holy grail to continue on as it always has been.
That has nothing to do with what I said. It was a specific joke towards the “find the macguffin” plotlines. You know: find the trumpet, find Jack Sparrow, find our Dino, find Stitch, find the picnic basket, find the Guardians, find the Sorcerrer Hat, etc.

It’s the second most common theme park trope next to “something goes wrong”.

Goofyernmost

That has nothing to do with what I said. It was a specific joke towards the “find the macguffin” plotlines. You know: find the trumpet, find Jack Sparrow, find our Dino, find Stitch, find the picnic basket, find the Guardians, find the Sorcerrer Hat, etc.

It’s the second most common theme park trope next to “something goes wrong”.
Yes, but that is not a new thing with Disney. That's how hidden Mickey happened. How tributes to past attractions, props and so many other things connected have been a solid part of all of Disney philosophy. This is not a reinventing the wheel. It is also a fun thing that people like to do so where is the bad in that. Like they used to say about theaters.. "whatever it takes to put butts in the seats". So I guess because of that they probably won't stop until everything has a "search" factor because it already has one.

LSLS

And yet...neither of us has moved from our positions...

Stuck in mud...we both are...with slight modifications

As far as 4 goes...speilberg is basically a “free agent” now...not tied to a studio

He can probably pick and choose what he wishes; no?

Honestly you can believe Disney destroyed Star Wars and Penguin can still be correct, they aren't mutually exclusive. It is highly unlikely that Spielberg did multiple projects with Disney and THEN decided that he was upset at what Disney did to Lucas. There have been much more plausible explanations for him leaving that honestly would line up with why others have left Disney directing projects (like Disney demanding something happen in the film that Spielberg absolutely disagreed with).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly you can believe Disney destroyed Star Wars and Penguin can still be correct, they aren't mutually exclusive. It is highly unlikely that Spielberg did multiple projects with Disney and THEN decided that he was upset at what Disney did to Lucas. There have been much more plausible explanations for him leaving that honestly would line up with why others have left Disney directing projects (like Disney demanding something happen in the film that Spielberg absolutely disagreed with).
I would think...think...that the reason Spielberg pulled back is they have no story...or that and Disney puts too many restrictions on what they want.

Ahem...there is a precedent for not trusting the management to make the most wise decisions on earth...ahem.

Kamikaze

Yea, cause everything in the original Disneyland had no connection to a movie. Well, except Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, Frontierland, Dumbo, Snow Whites Castle and a host of others. In my opinion, absolutely nothing was damaged by the inclusion of Captain Jack in Pirates. In fact, it may have extended the franchise by decades. It gave newer generations something to relate too. They did far more damage by losing "the Redhead scene". Disney has always had a mix of original things and borrowed ideas. Now all of a sudden it is like someone has stolen the holy grail to continue on as it always has been.

The what now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom