Jungle Cruise next?

Brer Panther

I could imagine them changing the figure to represent that movie version of the character. As for the current versions, the Disneyland Trader Sam is very cartoony whereas the MK one is not so much...

Screen-Shot-2015-02-05-at-3.28.30-PM.png
latest
Isn't the more cartoony one on the left the Magic Kingdom version and the more realistic one on the right the Disneyland version?

ppete1975

So, here's the thing- they change stuff about the Jungle Cruise. So what? Nobody rides the Jungle Cruise for the headhunter, or the elephants, or any of the other animatronics. They ride the Jungle Cruise for the dad jokes. They can add or remove literally anything from the ride, and it will still be fine as long as they keep the cornball puns.
I ride it for the elephants and hippos.... I love the nostalgia... id be ok if the dad jokes were toned down and it was more of a "dangerous" jungle cruise. Ive said before, id be fine with the people removed, you could even add a bit of the new movie. But what makes Disney as amazing as it is, is the feeling of going back to a simpler time and some of the more care free moments. That charm disappears if you remove too many of the classics (the new rides are great but they don't have the same nostalgia), yes Disney isn't a museum.. but some of its charm and love is priceless.
See the source image

Matt_Black

I ride it for the elephants and hippos.... I love the nostalgia... id be ok if the dad jokes were toned down and it was more of a "dangerous" jungle cruise. Ive said before, id be fine with the people removed, you could even add a bit of the new movie. But what makes Disney as amazing as it is, is the feeling of going back to a simpler time and some of the more care free moments. That charm disappears if you remove too many of the classics (the new rides are great but they don't have the same nostalgia), yes Disney isn't a museum.. but some of its charm and love is priceless.
See the source image

The thing is, the original Jungle Cruise WAS played more straight. A while back, I was listening to Sorcerer Radio, and they were playing the original ride audio, and it was like learning the truth about Santa Claus.

JC: Now, we’re approaching beautiful Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous African explorer, Dr. Albert...
Me: Falls!
JC: ... Schweitzer.
Me: NOOOOOOO!!!

ppete1975

The thing is, the original Jungle Cruise WAS played more straight. A while back, I was listening to Sorcerer Radio, and they were playing the original ride audio, and it was like learning the truth about Santa Claus.

JC: Now, we’re approaching beautiful Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous African explorer, Dr. Albert...
Me: Falls!
JC: ... Schweitzer.
Me: NOOOOOOO!!!
the story behind that is that walt heard guests say
"hey kids want to ride jungle cruise"
kids "we already rode that"
he was horrified, and wanted a different experience each time and so it was more campy and changed via whomever was your skipper.... its become more and more dad joke ever since.

Homemade Imagineering

See the source image
Also, when it comes to the Disneyland isn’t a museum statement, I feel that Disney can close certain attractions for replacements/rethemes, but to me there is clearly a rule book, and that rule book allows for attractions like Mike n sully to the rescue or other minor attractions to be demoed or flat out replaced by anything, while the mountains can face possible rethemes, however the rethemes aren’t usually too extreme. Take space mountain for example, as it has been subject to hyperspace mountain which in a way is a retheme even though it’s temporary, or you could take Splash Mountain as an example, as the retheme so far doesn’t look like it will be anything too extreme, just changing the color scheme of set pieces, redressing/reskinning animatronics, and the addition of animatronics along with some other special effects. Bottom line is, nothing is being demoed or gutted in that situation, and the main element of the attraction remains, which is the suspense and thrill through storytelling, and, well, speed. Now, when it comes to the true classics, and I’m talking about Walt’s attractions, there is a rule to me that allows for slight modification here and there, but the attraction cannot be removed, or altered beyond recognizability. I know people complain about POTC’s changes, and yes there are quite a few, but it still remains generally the same experience as it once was, minus a few altered scores throughout certain parts of the attraction, and the modification of certain scenes. Same with IASW. The Disney characters aren’t too intrusive, and besides that it’s remained the same exact attraction since it was moved to Disneyland in 1966. This situation applies to HM as well as the Jungle cruise. These sacred attractions can be updated, and can receive slight modification, but to me, Disney simply isn’t allowed to remove them completely. It’s almost like breaking the law. Think of it this way. Disneyland/ WDW is a human body, and the surgeon decides to remove their heart, brain, and lungs, thus killing them. This kills the person, and in this situation, it kills Disneyland/WDW. Now, you remove one of their kidneys, and they survive. Pretend one of the mountains is both of their kidneys combined, and when one is removed something within the human body physically changes, and in this situation Splash Mountain/Space Mountain changes, but it doesn’t kill the park, it may damage the parks merit depending on how you feel about that mountain and how much you enjoy the retheme, but it doesn’t kill the person. Lastly, the person gets a scrape and has to get stitches, in this situation this would be Disneyland removing a minor attraction, such as Monsters Inc. or the Astro Orbiter. The scrape hurts for a little while, which represents the construction of a minor attraction, since no one is allowed to experience the attraction while it’s being demoed or gutted because there’s simply no attraction there yet, but once the scrape heals, or in this case the new attraction reopens and is even better than the previous one, then it’s like nothing ever happened and everything goes back to normal. If you read this whole thing and are extremely confused, then I don’t blame you, but if not, then that’s fantastic 🤣🤣

ppete1975

Also, when it comes to the Disneyland isn’t a museum statement, I feel that Disney can close certain attractions for replacements/rethemes, but to me there is clearly a rule book, and that rule book allows for attractions like Mike n sully to the rescue or other minor attractions to be demoed or flat out replaced by anything, while the mountains can face possible rethemes, however the rethemes aren’t usually too extreme. Take space mountain for example, as it has been subject to hyperspace mountain which in a way is a retheme even though it’s temporary, or you could take Splash Mountain as an example, as the retheme so far doesn’t look like it will be anything too extreme, just changing the color scheme of set pieces, redressing/reskinning animatronics, and the addition of animatronics along with some other special effects. Bottom line is, nothing is being demoed or gutted in that situation, and the main element of the attraction remains, which is the suspense and thrill through storytelling, and, well, speed. Now, when it comes to the true classics, and I’m talking about Walt’s attractions, there is a rule to me that allows for slight modification here and there, but the attraction cannot be removed, or altered beyond recognizability. I know people complain about POTC’s changes, and yes there are quite a few, but it still remains generally the same experience as it once was, minus a few altered scores throughout certain parts of the attraction, and the modification of certain scenes. Same with IASW. The Disney characters aren’t too intrusive, and besides that it’s remained the same exact attraction since it was moved to Disneyland in 1966. This situation applies to HM as well as the Jungle cruise. These sacred attractions can be updated, and can receive slight modification, but to me, Disney simply isn’t allowed to remove them completely. It’s almost like breaking the law. Think of it this way. Disneyland/ WDW is a human body, and the surgeon decides to remove their heart, brain, and lungs, thus killing them. This kills the person, and in this situation, it kills Disneyland/WDW. Now, you remove one of their kidneys, and they survive. Pretend one of the mountains is both of their kidneys combined, and when one is removed something within the human body physically changes, and in this situation Splash Mountain/Space Mountain changes, but it doesn’t kill the park, it may damage the parks merit depending on how you feel about that mountain and how much you enjoy the retheme, but it doesn’t kill the person. Lastly, the person gets a scrape and has to get stitches, in this situation this would be Disneyland removing a minor attraction, such as Monsters Inc. or the Astro Orbiter. The scrape hurts for a little while, which represents the construction of a minor attraction, since no one is allowed to experience the attraction while it’s being demoed or gutted because there’s simply no attraction there yet, but once the scrape heals, or in this case the new attraction reopens and is even better than the previous one, then it’s like nothing ever happened and everything goes back to normal. If you read this whole thing and are extremely confused, then I don’t blame you, but if not, then that’s fantastic 🤣🤣
add a hatbox ghost, don't put a fancy new animatronic to replace the old pirates. Remove some pc things but don't replace the hippos with a 3d screen.

btw fascinating read on Disneyland https://www.ocregister.com/2010/04/06/disneylands-fake-jungle-is-pretty-real/

Sir_Cliff

you could take Splash Mountain as an example, as the retheme so far doesn’t look like it will be anything too extreme...
They're changing the entire storyline and will almost certainly be gutting the existing interior sets and replacing them with characters and settings that fit the new storyline. They may replace it all with something better, but that's like saying replacing Pirates with a Moana boat ride that used the same track and building wouldn't be anything too extreme.

Homemade Imagineering

They're changing the entire storyline and will almost certainly be gutting the existing interior sets and replacing them with characters and settings that fit the new storyline. They may replace it all with something better, but that's like saying replacing Pirates with a Moana boat ride that used the same track and building wouldn't be anything too extreme.
Like I explained in my earlier post, POTC to me is even more sacred than any of the mountains, but that’s just my opinion. Also, the general scenery of splash can be repainted and some parts can be removed, but I’d assume much of the scenery will remain, especially at the ending.

ppete1975

Like I explained in my earlier post, POTC to me is even more sacred than any of the mountains, but that’s just my opinion. Also, the general scenery of splash can be repainted and some parts can be removed, but I’d assume much of the scenery will remain, especially at the ending.
matterhorn to me is sacred (other coast I know) and although its new I love EE.

ppete1975

Agreed. Matterhorn is the only sacred mountain imo. It’s also my favorite mountain, since I have special memories of going from Matterhorn to IASW first thing in the morning back when I had my annual pass a couple years back!
my mom shared pictures of iasw when she went in 67 with her dad, and depending on covid I plan on going to disneyland for the first time next year (been to world prob 7 times), and i cant wait to see both attractions with my own eyes.
1593465230752.png
1593465282178.png

Homemade Imagineering

my mom shared pictures of iasw when she went in 67 with her dad, and depending on covid plan on going to disneyland for the first time next year (been to world prob 7 times), and i cant wait to see both attractions with my own eyes.
View attachment 480391View attachment 480392
Oh they’re both amazing! Disneyland’s IASW is the best IASW IMO, because it‘s the original incarnation of the attraction, it’s unique in layout, and it’s the one I grew up with. In fact, the shipping stickers from the 64 world‘s fair are still on the back of the plywood and paper mache set pieces! Matterhorn is extremely rough, and I actually love it for that! Also Harold is such an iconic character, and the new animatronic Harold added for the 60th a few years back is very realistic!

ppete1975

Oh they’re both amazing! Disneyland’s IASW is the best IASW IMO, because it‘s the original incarnation of the attraction, it’s unique in layout, and it’s the one I grew up with. In fact, the shipping stickers from the 64 world‘s fair are still on the back of the plywood and paper mache set pieces! Matterhorn is extremely rough, and I actually love it for that! Also Harold is such an iconic character, and the new animatronic Harold added for the 60th a few years back is very realistic!
i love the outdoor boat section for iasw :)

The Grand Inquisitor

Please no? Phone in on an English radio station talking about changes and Disney was mentioned. Somebody mentioned it was 'racist' having a head hunter with dark skin :rolleyes:

I bet they remove some of the offensive scenes with the Rock or Emily Blunt's characters. Disney and the Rock seemed to imply the ride will get changes after the movie.

Minnie1976

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that I don't trust Disney's judgement at all with this stuff. If an extremist group wants to have them get rid of Hall of Presidents or else they'll threaten to trash it do you trust Disney not to cave? Me neither. And that's the scariest thing about this whole thing. Disney didn't stand up for themselves at all. Some of their most treasured creations are now one lousy petition away from them changing a beloved attraction, permanently. We love this place, and it worries me that it could turn into.................well, Seattle.
What you have said is so true and so very scary😢😢😢

UNCgolf

I can't be alone in not wanting to see The Rock or be reminded of the movie in the ride. Even if the movie is good.

Weren't changes announced a few years ago to coincide with the movie? I believe the Rock is (or was supposed to be) involved in planning the changes. That's likely why it hasn't been mentioned as something to change, because those changes were already planned and in the works.

I'm sure you're not alone (just like I didn't need to see Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean), but I'm also equally sure it will be happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom