The Splash Mountain Appreciation Thread

Minthorne

We don't get to go to Disney World very often but on our most recent trip, we got to the Magic Kingdom earlier than expected, straight from the Airport/DME/Resort process. Being too early for any of our fast passes, we waited in a LONG line for Splash Mountain. We were so happy just to be in the queue (starting outside) which is so peaceful and relaxing. I also learned a life lesson while waiting inside.
View attachment 479108
Sorry for the poor image quality. The line was moving at the time.

You didn’t learn that from the Wizard of Oz?

Scuttle

Wonder how long before the STOCKHOLDERS give this CEO his goodbye papers!!VERY SOON..."IF" they are smart.Wonder how much $$$$$$$$$$$ will cost WDW!
I’m selling my shares. I was strongly thinking about it before this announcement due to a couple tough years ahead and them cutting their dividend. But this sealed the deal. I can’t stomach the direction the company is heading. Between ESPN, destroying Star Wars (thanks Kathleen Kennedy), The price gouging at the parks and resorts, the destruction of fan favorites to appease the 0.01%, I’m out.

Maybe I’ll buy back into the company when they have leadership that actually shows a spine.... but I doubt it.

Doodlelicious

I love Splash Mountain! It's my favorite ride at Disney World. I hope I can ride it one more time in its original state before it's redone.
I wonder what the timeline on starting the re-theming of this attraction is? Will they start right away with this or will they reopen and give it sometime as they really can't afford to have a ride like Splash Mountain shut down right out of the gates I would think.

Moka

wonder what the timeline on starting the re-theming of this attraction is? Will they start right away with this or will they reopen and give it sometime as they really can't afford to have a ride like Splash Mountain shut down right out of the gates I would think.
Splash Mountain is reopening with the parks for at the very least a few months. They will likely start early 2021 when they normally take it down for its annual refurb when its cooler.

Walt Disney1955

Here is the question regarding that horrible selection the other day. What are the chances Disney changes their mind? Or keeps one of them in either WDW or Disneyland? Or keeps them both and builds a Princess and the Frog ride, which wouldn't be a bad choice?

Will the excessive blowback from this make them re-think it? Because this is just.....................bad. For so many reasons. It gives you that uncomfortable feeling that a fringe group of protesters can change a beloved attraction, just because. That is such a bad precedence that I don't know where to begin. It bothers me a lot. Not only getting rid of it, but WHY they are getting rid of it and the future of what is such a beloved place to visit for us. You don't pander to these people, they'll never quit. They'll go after Walt's statue, Carousel of Progress, Small World, Pirates, HoP, American Adventure..............basically anything that looks like it came from a different era. Was no one in Disney willing to stand up for arguably the most popular ride in the park? We waited 50 minutes for the ride in 2018. There was still an insane audience with it.

There are moves like Mr. Toad, Horizons, etc. that you maybe don't like. Snow White's removal in WDW in favour of a meet and greet (although there is the Mine Train) wasn't popular, but as is the case with Mr. Toad there is still the Disneyland version. Which brings me to another question, usually the Disneyland crowd is more local and more protective of their treasures, so how did they do this to them, let alone WDW which is more international when it comes to guests.

So what is the chances anything in the 1st paragraph happens?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I’m convinced they are doing this to ditch all those AAs, rather than pay for upkeep. Moisture wrecks machinery, and this ride is chock-full of fragile puppets.
The whole woke thing is a handy smokescreen.
They will tear out everything, paint it all black, and set up a couple of projectors.

Cost saving first and foremost. Anyone that thinks WDI is going to keep the 60+ animatronic figures or reskin them (more cost) is most likely mistaken. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Kate F

Original Poster
Splash Mountain has such an intriguing exterior design. How people feel about desecrating Cinderella Castle, this is my equivalent. All that work to make something grand in scale and scope that gives a sense of place, you want to destroy all that instead of give Tiana her own state-of-the-art ride. “You might like the new one though” Can you not?
DD505855-B519-44B4-A6EC-37C2BA44AA6C.jpeg
C964003E-FB12-4C4D-A9FC-0B0658F3ADF4.jpeg

MR.DISNEY23

In the midst of all this Splash Mountain controversy, I wanted to create a positive thread that celebrates the beloved attraction. All this news has put me in a rather foul mood these past few days and I thought maybe a thread like this would ease the frustration a bit.

While newer additions to the parks might be more technologically advanced, I still consider Splash Mountain one of the greatest rides on property. It’s a thrill ride that’s tame enough for the whole family to enjoy, it puts some great, underrated characters into the spotlight, the detail is incredible, the music is irreplaceable, and it’s just overall a quintessential park experience for any guest.

If Disney going to re-theme splash mountain then they should re-them Tom Sawyer Island and the Riverboat they both had ties to slavery, my idea is to re-them Tom Sawyer Island to Princess and the Frog with a boat ride around the island, meet mama Odie, Dr. Filiecer shop, a bayou restaurant and so forth. Keep splash mountain

Kate F

Original Poster
There's the little things such as seeing the stump of Chickapin Hill from Adventureland as you're walking that way and watching logs go down at night with the distant sound of harmonicas and banjos while you're eating at Pecos Bills that would just completely vanish with a retheme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom