Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanbreeze77

oh yes yes, now I remember this. But The WHO did have to come out and clarify these findings.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I look at what social distancing measures Ontario has done and question why it can't be done in Texas and Florida. We are in phase 2 now.

Ontario has half the population of Texas and still has more COVID deaths, so calm down. As you reopen more, you better hope everyone continues to play it safe in your province. Otherwise, you may just find yourself in a similar place Texas is at the moment with cases. Everyone can learn from everyone.

Roy G. Dis

CaptainAmerica over here reposting stuff that the WHO all but disowned the day after precisely because of people like CaptainAmerica drawing the incorrect conclusions. SMH.

1593202596818.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The spike in cases in FL is no big deal because it's primarily young people who are symptomatic but do not require hospitalization.

Level 1 - Asymptomatic
Level 2 - Symptomatic, recover at home
Level 3 - Symptomatic, requires hospitalization
Level 4 - Symptomatic, requires ICU
Level 5 - Fatal

Early on, our focus was on minimizing Level 4 because we didn't know if we had enough ventilators and, without a ventilator, a Level 4 because a Level 5 real quick. The surge we're seeing now is primarily Level 2, but we're keeping our eye on Level 3 to make sure we don't run out of beds.

Level 2 is not cause for concern, and it's where the vast majority of cases outside of nursing homes are.
I don’t disagree with you. Others here insisted the spike in cases in FL was due to people being required to be tested to go back to work. Who knows what’s going on.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
oh yes yes, now I remember this. But The WHO did have to come out and clarify these findings.
Because they know people jump to extremes.

If they say "asymptomatic transmission is very rare," then people will jump to the conclusion "asymptomatic transmission is impossible, so there's no need to be careful."

If they say "coronavirus is almost never fatal in young, healthy patients," then people will jump to the conclusion "coronavirus can only kill sick old people, so there's no need to be careful."

They WANT people to be careful, so they always hedge and err on the side of making it sound worse than it really is (even though it's true that asymptomatic transmission is very rare and coronavirus is almost never fatal in young, healthy patients.)

esskay

So we're supposed to "trust the experts" except for when the experts disagree with you?

Would you care to enlighten us as to who these experts are? Because right now WHO has it pegged at upwards of 40% of cases are asymtomatic (down from an 80% estimation in March), and theres many papers suggesting similar figures, the lowest repuatable ones suggeting 20%.

Even taking the sole lowest figure of 20% thats not "rare" by any stretch.

DisneyDebRob

They were all taken from comment on June 9th by Maria Van Kerkhove. Since they they have walked it back because it was misconstrued. First sentence of one of your links clearly states.

June 9, 2020 // Editor’s note : Since the publication of this story, the WHO has clarified its statement about asymptomatic spread of SARS-CoV-2, calling it a "misunderstanding." Medscape will publish a new story soon.

Please come with some link since June 10th.

legwand77

I think many realize all the activity that’s going on, but would be happier if some of it wasn’t...like packed bars with minimal or no distancing and no masks.

If the posters you are referring to are similar to the ones who spent a month preaching that percent positive was all that mattered I assume they will just move the goal posts if the data no longer supports their side. I hope hospitalizations and deaths continue to fall, but what if they don’t? There’s things you can do today to prevent future hospitalizations that may eventually lead to death. We can all hope that since the median age of sick people is lower that in general there won’t be as much serious illness, but that’s a big assumption to rely on. It’s putting all your eggs in one basket. Once the hospitals are overrun it’s too late to act. I’m not saying go back to full stay at home, but leaders have to be forward thinking and not just look at the numbers today and hope they don’t get worse. I think that’s why we saw the pull back on bars in TX and FL and the statewide mask rule in CA. It’s possible to keep most of the economy going and keep more people safe at the same time but people (the government and the citizens) need to buy in and stop denying there’s any problem.
Well everything you are hoping the government is doing they are to a large degree, they are looking forward, for better or for worse. Hospitals have plans for surges, they aren't near being overrun right now, operating as normal.

disneygeek90

Asymptomatic spread is exceedingly rare. There is absolutely no reason for you to get tested "just in case."
So all of this has spread from people feeling sick but who ventured out anyway to the stores, restaurants and gatherings spreading to others? After everything that we have been through the past 3 months? Yeah, that doesn't sound right.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
CaptainAmerica over here reposting stuff that the WHO all but disowned the day after precisely because of people like CaptainAmerica drawing the incorrect conclusions. SMH.

View attachment 479626
Actually, the problem is people like you incapable of nuance.

"Asymptomatic spread is impossible." <-- WRONG
"Asymptomatic spread is super common." <-- WRONG

"Asymptomatic spread is very rare." <-- CORRECT, but they're going to hedge their bets because they want people to obey their rules so they'll never honestly share things that make the virus seem mild in any way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well everything you are hoping the government is doing they are to a large degree, they are looking forward, for better or for worse. Hospitals have plans for surges, they aren't near being overrun right now, operating as normal.
Keeping hospitals from being overrun is doing the bare minimum. I think most governments want to do a little better than that. I don‘t disagree that some states were already doing more and some are starting to catch on.

legwand77

Is that why the California Disney union wrote a letter to Disneyland ask them to delay the opening because of the numbers? Is that why the actors union Here in Orlando submitted a request for Disney World to delay the opening because of the numbers? Is that way there’s over 12,000 signatures on the petition to delay the opening here in Orlando? Just wondering which employees you’re talking about.
Guess you missed the part where the California Disney union has come to an agreement with Disney regarding Disneyland since then and then Union is ready to get back to work.

Roy G. Dis

Actually, the problem is people like you incapable of nuance.

"Asymptomatic spread is impossible." <-- WRONG
"Asymptomatic spread is super common." <-- WRONG

"Asymptomatic spread is very rare." <-- CORRECT, but they're going to hedge their bets because they want people to obey their rules so they'll never honestly share things that make the virus seem mild in any way.

Ah, ok, only you -- internet poster on a Disney message board -- know the truth. Thank you for sharing.

legwand77

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAVE. Kicking the can down the road very funny. I live in a country that took this seriously from day 1. We are slowly opening back up and have yet to see the surge of cases from kicking it down the road. In fact my province had the lowest amount of cases since March with 111.

I REPEAT NOBODY IS SAYING STAY CLOSED FOREVER. Instead maybe take this virus seriously. 1 death is too many. Why not slow the reopening til it's under control. I look at what social distancing measures Ontario has done and question why it can't be done in Texas and Florida. We are in phase 2 now.

Construction is allowed. Malls are opening as well as restaurants but only patios. Some attractions are open but no theme parks yet. Those aren't expected to open for awhile. To get people to comply they have been fining people $800. They have handed out more then 900 tickets.
and mask are not required or being worn by many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom