Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate F

Yes, it is more dangerous. Certainly you've been in the minority for something in your life. You wouldn't want people to not take you seriously or consider your feelings because more people felt differently than you did.
Yeah, I feel like I’m in the minority at this very moment.

DarkMetroid567

The majority of Disney patrons didn't get to decide on whether a change to Splash Mountain was warranted. Unless you think Bobby Iger speaks for the majority of Disney patrons?
I don't remember the majority of Disney patrons getting to decide anything. I don't remember Walt Disney's famous 1954 poll asking Americans what he should include into Disneyland. Going for a majority-minority position by attacking libertarianism is a flawed approach.

manmythlegend

Yes, it is more dangerous. Certainly you've been in the minority for something in your life. You wouldn't want people to not take you seriously or consider your feelings because more people felt differently than you did.

Again you're conflating. You keep saying "people need to consider one's feelings." Consider one's feelings DOES NOT mean do as they say. You've really got to get that in your head. I'm not sure how many times I need to repeat that.

manmythlegend

That must be why Splash Mountain is changing.

As has been said multiple times, Disney is now a woke company. And they will do whatever it takes to keep their image squeaky clean. That's a marketing thing and has nothing to do with whether the majority of guests actually want that change. Just like when he changed Pirates. And when he implemented FP+. I can assure he went 0/3 as far as doing what the majority wanted.

champdisney

You don't think the re-theme is in direct response to the petitions?
What’s a petition when you have blog after blog and users on Twitter crying for a retheme? It’s been going on periodically for years now. The sudden need for change of this attraction is based on the current landscape of this country. It’s election year and everyone and their mother is upset. It’s all a setup to get people at war with one another.

We’ve come from destroying businesses, demolishing statues and now demanding attractions to be changed... whatever.

BigDlover

Again you're conflating. You keep saying "people need to consider one's feelings." Consider one's feelings DOES NOT mean do as they say. You've really got to get that in your head. I'm not sure how many times I need to repeat that.
Your issue is with Disney. I didn't make the decision. Stay mad, Splash Mountain is changing.

sy278

Hey, African American chiming in. How do you feel about the fact that the stories of the Brer animals are folklore created by Africans that were later brought over to America and then pretty much appropriated by Joel Chandler Harris? They predate their poor representation in the media. I am intrigued, does this fact change anything?

Great to see this aspect being acknowledged, especially by an African American. I have been trying to educate folk to that aspect for weeks. However, they just can't see past SotS.

DarkMetroid567

remember guys

princess and the frog retheme -> disney parks will be DESTROYED

is considered a slippery slope fallacy and is frowned against in any entry level "Intro to Logic" course.

I can assure you all that WDW Pro's totally legit rumor about "changing the ghosts in Haunted Mansion to become more diverse" is probably not going to happen.

Den Carter

I've taken some time to think about this retheme. I've also skimmed through hundreds of posts in this thread and I think some contributors need to reflect on their own position too. Splash Mountain is the ride that holds the dearest place in my heart, ever since it first opened at Disneyland in 1989.

I always knew about Song Of The South, but even though it was available on VHS when I was a child I had no desire to watch it. My parents actively discouraged it because of its blatant racist themes. Yet Splash was my favourite ride, and I think in my mind I'd disconnected the attraction from the source material.

When the petition came about a few weeks ago the Black Lives Matter movement was weighing on my mind. It was an uncomfortable reminder that, despite my absolute hatred of racism in any form, it's possible to indirectly normalise it. It's not something I'd ever invested a great deal of time pondering, but I'm glad I have. Splash Mountain is an exceptional attraction. The theming, the storytelling, the music, the entire experience - outstanding. Unless you make the mental connection with the fact it wouldn't exist (in its current form) if it weren't for that movie.

Princess and the Frog is a exceptional film, well deserving of a long overdue proud position in Disney parks. Baxter, Carter and Trowbridge are all linked to this project, and they're all incredible Imagineers. I have faith that this will be triumphant. And there will be many, like me, who've learned a lot about the effect racism can have, especially if it wasn't intended.

I may change my mind if when I ride the new attraction I hate it! But I'm going to focus on optimism until then.

Quinnmac000

wasn't Uncle Remus the first African American to win an Oscar? and arent the storires that inspired Splash Mountain folktales from the black community?

Seems like a made up controversy by some keyboard warriors just to start trouble

Hattie Macdaniel in Gone with the wind which was so problematic; black people cancelled her because of her roles kept promoting blacks couldn't play any role except the help.

And lets not forget James Baskett hurt his own reputation by being on the Amos and Andy Show.

Last edited:

manmythlegend

remember guys

princess and the frog retheme -> disney parks will be DESTROYED

is considered a slippery slope fallacy and is frowned against in any entry level "Intro to Logic" course.

I can assure you all that WDW Pro's totally legit rumor about "changing the ghosts in Haunted Mansion to become more diverse" is probably not going to happen.

Not sure about Haunted but you can bet your bottom dollar that this is not the end. The pain is just beginning though I'm sure the woke folks are out on the streets singing zip a dee doo dah right about now!

manmythlegend

I've taken some time to think about this retheme. I've also skimmed through hundreds of posts in this thread and I think some contributors need to reflect on their own position too. Splash Mountain is the ride that holds the dearest place in my heart, ever since it first opened at Disneyland in 1989.

I always knew about Song Of The South, but even though it was available on VHS when I was a child I had no desire to watch it. My parents actively discouraged it because of its blatant racist themes. Yet Splash was my favourite ride, and I think in my mind I'd disconnected the attraction from the source material.

When the petition came about a few weeks ago the Black Lives Matter movement was weighing on my mind. It was an uncomfortable reminder that, despite my absolute hatred of racism in any form, it's possible to indirectly normalise it. It's not something I'd ever invested a great deal of time pondering, but I'm glad I have. Splash Mountain is an exceptional attraction. The theming, the storytelling, the music, the entire experience - outstanding. Unless you make the mental connection with the fact it wouldn't exist (in its current form) if it weren't for that movie.

Princess and the Frog is a exceptional film, well deserving of a long overdue proud position in Disney parks. Baxter, Carter and Trowbridge are all linked to this project, and they're all incredible Imagineers. I have faith that this will be triumphant. And there will be many, like me, who've learned a lot about the effect racism can have, especially if it wasn't intended.

I may change my mind if when I ride the new attraction I hate it! But I'm going to focus on optimism until then.

Is there any point at which you would draw the line regarding Disney re-designing any rides that offend a small group of people? Or are you okay with everything they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom