Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Carioca

My all-time ride being destroyed. Cool.

Yours and mine. The news actually made me cry when I saw the CNN report. That ride was my introduction to the Magic Kingdom, the place where I understood "Disney magic" for the first time, the first ride I went on with my late father, a ride I went on three times in a row with friends. And now it's going to be gone. I hate them for doing this.

MickeyMouse10

Where will it end? I actually heard teenagers complain that all the savages were dark skinned on Jungle Cruise. Even though it is completely accurate to how tribes still look in those regions today.

It's going to be like that awful Christmas play on South Park. Where they had to change everything so it didn't offend anyone. Thus making it a weird and unwatchable mess. This world is sometimes too sensitive and P.C. for it's own good.

Roy G. Dis

Does depend on the region, at least: there were numerous towns in the Reconstruction South that elected black leadership, only to have hate mobs storm through those towns and commit arson, lynchings, and more until they could ensure the elected black delegations couldn't be seated (this included lynching the actual elected leaders). It took Congress and U.S. Grant signing the Force Acts, known popularly as the KKK Act, to get the armed forces into gear and literally put down the Klan and its associated forces during that era. Unfortunately, when Benjamin Harrison wanted to win the super-close election of 1876, one of the compromises he made to get the electoral support he needed was that he'd pull the troops out of the South, thus effectively empowering the white power structures to make a full comeback and fully leading into the Jim Crow era as it was widely understood. So it becomes a mixed bag: the first black Congresspeople and Senators were elected during Reconstruction, but like you said, the eventual withdrawal of federal support for Reconstruction projects made the ensuing white supremacy all the more potent and toxic.

...Sorry, US History teacher, I can't help myself.

Some people either conveniently forget this part or never learn it. Some people probably think this is just, like, your opinion man.

GeneralZod

Congratulations on fitting that many buzzwords into one sentence.
AdeptFortunateCormorant-size_restricted (1).gif

:)

skyphotographer

Next up. Liberty Square will be re-themed to Lennon Square. The comrades should love this!

Sorry, misspelled Lenin.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Does depend on the region, at least: there were numerous towns in the Reconstruction South that elected black leadership, only to have hate mobs storm through those towns and commit arson, lynchings, and more until they could ensure the elected black delegations couldn't be seated (this included lynching the actual elected leaders). It took Congress and U.S. Grant signing the Force Acts, known popularly as the KKK Act, to get the armed forces into gear and literally put down the Klan and its associated forces during that era. Unfortunately, when Benjamin Harrison wanted to win the super-close election of 1876, one of the compromises he made to get the electoral support he needed was that he'd pull the troops out of the South, thus effectively empowering the white power structures to make a full comeback and fully leading into the Jim Crow era as it was widely understood. So it becomes a mixed bag: the first black Congresspeople and Senators were elected during Reconstruction, but like you said, the eventual withdrawal of federal support for Reconstruction projects made the ensuing white supremacy all the more potent and toxic.

...Sorry, US History teacher, I can't help myself.

I'm a giant history nerd (although my undergrad history degree is in ancient/medieval Europe). I didn't want to get into that much detail, but I'm glad someone did!

That happened well after Reconstruction ended, too, in places where African Americans managed to maintain some political power. I think it was the 1890s when there was essentially a coup in Wilmington, NC and a white supremacist mob overthrew the multi-racial elected government and killed some and ran the rest out of town.

Yert3

The amount of conspiratorial thinking, the notion that Disney is doing this as a "knee jerk reaction" to protests that began this summer when plans for something like this don't just happen at the drop of a hat is ridiculous
Agree with that, but you have to admit the timing of the announcement and the fact it’s being re-themed to exactly what the these people wanted is a massive coincidence.

The_Jobu

who does? the people cheering this on twitter?

The problem is most of the super-fans will continue to throw money at Disney, even if they're disappointed in the product. They make a ton of money from clueless, once in a lifetime, visitors who dont care two bits about the park or its history, just somewhere they brought the kids because they saw a commercial.

ppete1975

honestly its an easy cheap overlay.... the themes are really close (with the boat the swamps etc)... so thematically it should work and be cheap...
id rather have had fox and the hound though which would have worked great with the track lay out including the fall at the end

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
"Get away with" what? A difference of opinion? Splash is one of my favorite rides and I will miss it very much. Yet I think those who never cared for it are entitled to their opinion too. The gatekeeping in fan communities is really offputting sometimes. No matter how many hours of our lives we've whiled away talking and reading about Disney parks, and I include myself in that, none of us should feel entitled to dictate whether others will "get away with" a dissenting opinion about our favorite rides, even the most widely beloved.
You have no idea what we're even talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom