Dining with characters is done

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Good evening Wdwmagic

Having a meal with characters is coming to an end. For good. WDC labels it as a suspension, but the truth is the return of character meals is improbable. Hong Kong and Shanghai’s physical distancing SOP simply won’t work in Orlando.

Cost benefit analysis results, safety and the need to lower expenses are the main reasons.
Cue the chopping block.
I think that is highly unlikely. In the short term, it is likely to be suspended for heavily modified, but character dining is a staple of many people's trips and an iconic part of the Disney experience. And of course it is a huge revenue driver at the restaurants and memory maker - Disney won't let it go easily.

drew81

I think that is highly unlikely. In the short term, it is likely to be suspended for heavily modified, but character dining is a staple of many people's trips and an iconic part of the Disney experience. And of course it is a huge revenue driver at the restaurants and memory maker - Disney won't let it go easily.

Could they be changing from characters visiting each table to a walk and waive around the restaurant? Would that be worth the price? I’m not sure.

asianway

while I tend to agree, consider this. The price differential for a character buffet vs non is not THAT much. The cost is back to back performers, several attendants, slower turn times, as well as an incredible amount of overhead in the entertainment department to keep the machine running(costumers, storage, training, mgmt, as well as places to park those bodies). When you look at it in its totality there’s a strong argument “it isn’t worth the trouble”

drew81

while I tend to agree, consider this. The price differential for a character buffet vs non is not THAT much. The cost is back to back performers, several attendants, slower turn times, as well as an incredible amount of overhead in the entertainment department to keep the machine running(costumers, storage, training, mgmt, as well as places to park those bodies). When you look at it in its totality there’s a strong argument “it isn’t worth the trouble”

Also there’s van drivers/transportation cost.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Gone for now due to health regulations? Yes. Gone forever? Hardly.

Statements such as "forever" or "never again" or "gone for good" are silly during these unprecedented times. No one can predict what things will look like 6 months or even a year from now, so why make assessments with such certainty?
Well, during these unprecedented times, it's good to know that we're all in this together, and WDW will be there for us when we can return to the new normal, whether or not it includes character dining as we know it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Also need to consider the food quality though. Look at the Poly. The food there carries a low production cost, but commands a high retail price because of the characters. The non character dining tends to be of a much higher quality, and at a lower cost (something like Ale & Compass is half the price and is of significantly higher quality).

I agree there is the possibility of "it isn't worth the trouble," but I still think character dining is an iconic part of a lot of trips and that will see it return. Take that away permanently, and I think there will be consequences.

StarshipDisney

LOL, seriously? The one thing I've realized about the Disney consumer is there is no logic behind their insanity.

These 2 quotes together make up my concern exactly. You see...I consider myself as one of those Disney fans who might be considered insane about Disney. I am not rich by any means, but I still save up to stay in a Magic Kingdom view room at the Contemporary and maybe take in a tour or two. I plan our trips in excruciating detail and try to take in as much as possible on every trip.

But how do I justify paying for this room/resort if there are no fireworks every night. That Magic Kingdom view room just lost some of its allure big time.

Same for the Character dining, if there are no more characters, then how do I justify paying those prices. Do you really think Disney will ever lower prices LOL.

My biggest concern about Disney is that all this will simply end up as higher prices for a diminished vacation. I am not at all saying that I won't go back, but I may retreat to a value resort and greatly lower what I spend there. Disney must find a way to bring everything back eventually or else some Disney nuts like me will likely just stop going. I hope that never happens.

drizgirl

These 2 quotes together make up my concern exactly. You see...I consider myself as one of those Disney fans who might be considered insane about Disney. I am not rich by any means, but I still save up to stay in a Magic Kingdom view room at the Contemporary and maybe take in a tour or two. I plan our trips in excruciating detail and try to take in as much as possible on every trip.

But how do I justify paying for this room/resort if there are no fireworks every night. That Magic Kingdom view room just lost some of its allure big time.

Same for the Character dining, if there are no more characters, then how do I justify paying those prices. Do you really think Disney will ever lower prices LOL.

My biggest concern about Disney is that all this will simply end up as higher prices for a diminished vacation. I am not at all saying that I won't go back, but I may retreat to a value resort and greatly lower what I spend there. Disney must find a way to bring everything back eventually or else some Disney nuts like me will likely just stop going. I hope that never happens.
Then when they add the characters back later, perfect opportunity for a price increase!

crawale

..... until Disney realizes nobody will pay those prices without the characters.

I'm sure they will suspend it for now. But they will eventually be back.
A great example is Norway. No one was going to the restaurant until they introduced the Princesses - now it is full. You are correct - why would people pay for a so so meal unless the characters were there?

RememberWhen

We do a lot of character meals. I would never pay what they charge for that sort of experience.
Agreed. We use the character meals as a break time with food where we also get to see the characters. We love not waiting in the parks to visit characters, especially with small kids. It’s a “kills two birds with one stone” situation. We would NOT be going without the characters. And a wave won’t satisfy my 3 year old. But we can just put character meals on hold for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom