Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

Tony Perkis

This is about the implied pressure of WDW opening sooner than anticipated due to the announced opening of UO.
Can’t argue that one, but the topic inherently will lead down the obvious path, like a WDW News and Rumors thread will entertain the idea of USO giving up its Marvel rights eventually.

0C572981-22ED-427F-8025-A0AD1095FFB6.jpeg

Disneyhead'71

This whole thread has just become another Disney vs. Universal. The moment I read the thread title I already knew.

Universal for me has always been the underdog and everyone loves the underdog. When the underdog succeeds, people just love to shove it on Disney's face how they are such a failure.

When Universal does something not good, people are like "do better next time.' When Disney does something not good, people are like "what a disaster."
I am clearly in the UniFanboy camp. But I found great amusement in both resorts making identical screw ups regarding the launch of their 2 "BIG" attractions this year. Hagrid's and RotR are both truly fantastic top tier Mega E Ticket attractions. Both opened before they were ready because of...reasons. Resulting in both limping along at majority reduced capacity for months.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

peter11435

The fact that people won't really care about what the Mouse has done says a lot of how he has y'all wrapped around his finger. I liked Disney til this all happened but how they have handled this compared to all the other theme park companies doesn't give them a good look. I realize it's a pandemic and nobody knows how each day is going to go right now. The lack of communication has been downright awful. Six Flags has even put out their plans when they reopen and they are at the bottom for amusement parks.

Then you have the Mouse who has been tight-lipped through this whole thing. All news that has come out has never been directly from them other then their VP not guaranteeing the June opening. So much for them being ahead of the curve. In my books they aren't the leader any more
I’m sorry but this is still a ridiculous take. They announced that they were closed until further notice just like everyone else. That hasn’t changed. You didn’t here anything else from the other parks until they started announcing that they are reopening. Disney hasn’t done that yet. They’ve literally handled this the same as the other parks except they aren’t jumping the gun to reopen before they think is appropriate.

Last edited:

crawale

You are making a lot of presumptions that are untrue. There are no longer checkpoints on the interstates coming into the state, and there is nothing at the airports other than a reminder that a traveler from a specific area needs to self0quarantine for 14 days...which I'm sure everyone diligently follows.
I live in Pensacola which is 5 miles from the border with Alabama. On Saturday there was a checkpoint - I went through it. You are incorrect and giving misleading information. There are checkpoints on I10.

crawale

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how/when they restart the AP clock. They will probably have an official restart date, but hopefully they will work with people who have special cases and need to maybe delay that restart date.

It’s a conundrum for those who specifically planned to squeeze a few trips in to get the most out of the AP.
Also after the summer it will be unlikely people want to keep their kids out of school so unless they can go in the summer extending the pass is no good to them. I doubt they will work with people with special cases as there would be so many with the previous issues. For DVC members we are still being charged fees even though we cannot go to the resorts. They say the fees next year will be lower but that has never happened. Also I would bet the farm that when the Spring comes all APs, fees, hotel costs will go up as usual.

jinx8402

I’m sorry but this is still a ridiculous take. They announced that they were closed until further noticed just like everyone else. That hasn’t changed. You didn’t here anything else from the other parks until they started announcing that they are reopening. Disney hasn’t done that yet. They’ve literally handled this the same as the other parks except they aren’t jumping the gun to reopen before they think is appropriate.

I don't get it. What exactly do these people want Disney to do? Have a weekly update stating all the meetings they had with ideas of when they might open?

They said they are closed until further notice. They are announcing definite closures weekly at a month out. Once they formalize an actual opening plan with a re-open date we will find out. But just because they haven't announced it yet does not mean they haven't been at work trying to figure it out in a constantly changing landscape.

GladToBeHear

There is no appropriate, or safe, date to open. There's no difference between opening in June, July, August, or next January. The virus will still be here and there won't be a vaccine. There has to be someone willing to be the bad guy and open their parks first. It might as well be Universal. You're off the hook, Disney. Let's set some dates and do this.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
WDW has imported for 2020 so far slightly above 70,000 lbs of fireworks alone.

One of the issues is that when I say something like "fireworks price and availability have gone in the wrong direction", people begin extrapolating that in weird ways. Never have I suggested Disney is suddenly out of stock or that that had ceased purchasing fireworks for some zany reason prior to the US shutdowns. It simply means that GOING FORWARD, Disney may have difficulty acquiring various custom shells and they will almost certainly cost more.

As of this morning, however, Disney has far... far more to worry about given China's encroachment on Hong Kong. "Owning" parks and more in a potential cold war opponent is something they have little plan for.

Touchdown

There is no appropriate, or safe, date to open. There's no difference between opening in June, July, August, or next January. The virus will still be here and there won't be a vaccine. There has to be someone willing to be the bad guy and open their parks first. It might as well be Universal. You're off the hook, Disney. Let's set some dates and do this.

That’s not really true, if we continue to see a downward trend in new cases then waiting until July/August will mean less active cases and less of a chance of a Covid infected individual going to your park.

Risk is not a black and white thing, it’s a spectrum of grey.

Jrb1979

I don't get it. What exactly do these people want Disney to do? Have a weekly update stating all the meetings they had with ideas of when they might open?

They said they are closed until further notice. They are announcing definite closures weekly at a month out. Once they formalize an actual opening plan with a re-open date we will find out. But just because they haven't announced it yet does not mean they haven't been at work trying to figure it out in a constantly changing landscape.
For one since they are closed til further notice maybe stop taking any reservations. If they know the After Hour parties aren't happening stop selling tickets for them. The big one is they must know by now that when they do open a lot of things will be limited so why keep letting people book as if things were normal. You guys keep defending the precious Mouse.

Gringrinngghost

One of the issues is that when I say something like "fireworks price and availability have gone in the wrong direction", people begin extrapolating that in weird ways. Never have I suggested Disney is suddenly out of stock or that that had ceased purchasing fireworks for some zany reason prior to the US shutdowns. It simply means that GOING FORWARD, Disney may have difficulty acquiring various custom shells and they will almost certainly cost more.

As of this morning, however, Disney has far... far more to worry about given China's encroachment on Hong Kong. "Owning" parks and more in a potential cold war opponent is something they have little plan for.
Since you felt inclined to having to defend your post, my commentary on how much fireworks wasn't a jab at you. I was purely going off your statement "it is much more difficult to acquire shells, as well as more costly. Supply chains for fireworks have been greatly disrupted." It was meant to be for those of us that don't know, once they have the fireworks that while the supply chains are having issues, they would be fine in a limited capacity for a bit.

Gringrinngghost

For one since they are closed til further notice maybe stop taking any reservations. If they know the After Hour parties aren't happening stop selling tickets for them. The big one is they must know by now that when they do open a lot of things will be limited so why keep letting people book as if things were normal. You guys keep defending the precious Mouse.
The Official stance internally at all the parks are a week by week basis.

GladToBeHear

That’s not really true, if we continue to see a downward trend in new cases then waiting until July/August will mean less active cases and less of a chance of a Covid infected individual going to your park.

Risk is not a black and white thing, it’s a spectrum of grey.

Sure. But what if it trends back up as states reopen? What if it stays the same throughout the summer? What if it continues downward? Is there a metric that Disney is watching? If so -- what number(s) do they deem acceptable? When will it actually be "safe" or "appropriate" to reopen? COVID isn't going anywhere in three months. Or six months. So why has there been no dates set for reopening? I suspect there's some PR/image concerns at play here -- as well as there should be. Nobody wants to kill Grandma. Universal made the first move and can be the bad guy. Now it's time to announce a plan and do it. I think this is where I think a lot of frustation is coming from.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Since you felt inclined to having to defend your post, my commentary on how much fireworks wasn't a jab at you. I was purely going off your statement "it is much more difficult to acquire shells, as well as more costly. Supply chains for fireworks have been greatly disrupted." It was meant to be for those of us that don't know, once they have the fireworks that while the supply chains are having issues, they would be fine in a limited capacity for a bit.

You're good, I was actually aiming my comment at the things you were helping clarify.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am getting sick of the attitude displayed by many that people in Florida are a bunch of idiots that don’t know what they are doing. There seems to be no lack of people that want to find any incident or frame any picture to make it look like people in Florida are a bunch of idiots.
You can thank the media and the constant barrage of "Florida Man" stories.

jinx8402

Maybe they don't quite know what may or may not be limited at what dates, because information is quite literally changing daily. So, you need to have reservations in the pipeline in case they are open? Why is it hard to understand that if they do decide to open early July, that they need to be taking reservations for that period?

They have relaxed their cancellation party, so if you are currently making a reservation 1) you should understand it may not happen and 2) if it doesn't happen, they are waiving their typical cancellation fees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom