Forbidden Journey New Locker

Rob562

Unfortunately it looks like they only moved the problem not solved it, I think it will still be a cluster but wait and see the finished product as always before judging.

Yeah, I'm curious what the traffic flow will be. The time I visited before they started this construction they were doing a weird flow where people with bags were sent to the normal lockers, those without were routed directly into the overflow queue to the left of the main gates. Those heading to Single Rider or Express were then sent "backwards" down that corridor past the Mirror of Erised to get to their normal entrances back by the lockers. Made it quite inconvenient to marathon the Single Rider line at the end of the night.

With the new lockers, I'm wondering if they'll send people there, store stuff, then back to the front gates to enter? Will they keep the test flow I saw, have people go from lockers directly to Greenhouse and the Erised hallway will only be seen by Singles and Express?
I can't see them not using the main gates anymore. So my guess is it'll be like Hagrid's where you have to get rid of bags before making it through the actual start of the queue.

-Rob

BubbaQuest

Unfortunately it looks like they only moved the problem not solved it, I think it will still be a cluster but wait and see the finished product as always before judging.

At least, hopefully, if you don't need a locker you will no longer need to walk through the lockers. But agreed, the cramped lockers at Uni are always a disaster.

Disstevefan1

This brings up an excellent point!!! Anyone that has used the lockers in HP knows it’s chaos! People jammed in a small area! How are you supposed to social distance???

Rob562

This brings up an excellent point!!! Anyone that has used the lockers in HP knows it’s chaos! People jammed in a small area! How are you supposed to social distance???

Somewhere in the reopening presentation documents they said they would be disabling half the lockers. I suppose that could force people to spread out among the remaining lockers.
(Edit to add: The wording is "Every other locker bank to be disabled and guests will be pulsed into locker area by a team member.")

I've always wondered if they could create bag bins on little arms that are added onto the existing vehicles. While the benches are travelling along the load belt the bins are on either side of the benches, on arms sticking through the slot in the back wall just like the benches. When the TM clears the vehicle for dispatch, lids close on the bin, and then when bench gets to the end of the belt and lifts upward, the bins retract downward. They then stay low, keeping out of the way on either side of the Kuka mechanism, travelling with the ride vehicle. When the bench comes back to the platform the bins extend back upward to slot through the wall again with the bench. Stand up, pick up your items and walk away.

Benches that are flagged to bypass the load platform (when they reduce ride capacity), the ins would just stay retracted.
The only thing they'd have to do is screen for oversized bags that wouldn't fit in the bins.

-Rob

Disstevefan1

Somewhere in the reopening presentation documents they said they would be disabling half the lockers. I suppose that could force people to spread out among the remaining lockers.
(Edit to add: The wording is "Every other locker bank to be disabled and guests will be pulsed into locker area by a team member.")

I've always wondered if they could create bag bins on little arms that are added onto the existing vehicles. While the benches are travelling along the load belt the bins are on either side of the benches, on arms sticking through the slot in the back wall just like the benches. When the TM clears the vehicle for dispatch, lids close on the bin, and then when bench gets to the end of the belt and lifts upward, the bins retract downward. They then stay low, keeping out of the way on either side of the Kuka mechanism, travelling with the ride vehicle. When the bench comes back to the platform the bins extend back upward to slot through the wall again with the bench. Stand up, pick up your items and walk away.

Benches that are flagged to bypass the load platform (when they reduce ride capacity), the ins would just stay retracted.
The only thing they'd have to do is screen for oversized bags that wouldn't fit in the bins.

-Rob

COVID aside, I love the idea of the bins!! They should design all ride vehicles with storage in mind from the start so they could be properly tested as part of the vehicle testing.

Rob562

COVID aside, I love the idea of the bins!! They should design all ride vehicles with storage in mind from the start so they could be properly tested as part of the vehicle testing.

Well, I don't think it would work for ALL rides. It'd be too complicated for rides like coasters, and the items would be thrown around with the train. But on Forbidden Journey the vehicle bases move at a constant speed the entire time, so there's no high speed changes shifting the contents of the bins.

Now that I think about it, I think there was actually a patent filed a while back about storage bins that would move with vehicles, or would stay with vehicles in the ride station and then rotate away/under while a ride like a coaster was out on the track, and then return the proper bin back to the station for the riders to get as they disembark.

-Rob

lazyboy97o

-Rob

JoeCamel

Well, I don't think it would work for ALL rides. It'd be too complicated for rides like coasters, and the items would be thrown around with the train. But on Forbidden Journey the vehicle bases move at a constant speed the entire time, so there's no high speed changes shifting the contents of the bins.

Now that I think about it, I think there was actually a patent filed a while back about storage bins that would move with vehicles, or would stay with vehicles in the ride station and then rotate away/under while a ride like a coaster was out on the track, and then return the proper bin back to the station for the riders to get as they disembark.

-Rob
Bins were to sterilize 3D glasses. I'm not sure where you are going with the no high speed/no shift thing but it tilts you on your back so the contents will shift. I think you are asking for estops as people fumble with their stuff, remember that there are small compartment in the back of the seats. Those are unused at this point for the problems they cause with load/unload but were a version of your idea I think.

JT3000

Ugh... I can't believe they're putting lockers right there. Now there's literally no thematic separation between JP and Hogwarts. They couldn't at least build something much taller to block the view? Is this still a THEME park?

Disneyhead'71

Ugh... I can't believe they're putting lockers right there. Now there's literally no thematic separation between JP and Hogwarts. They couldn't at least build something much taller to block the view? Is this still a THEME park?
The original plan was for rock work to cover locker structure. The current rumor is the world famous Lottso Bamboo.

Rob562

Bins were to sterilize 3D glasses. I'm not sure where you are going with the no high speed/no shift thing but it tilts you on your back so the contents will shift. I think you are asking for estops as people fumble with their stuff, remember that there are small compartment in the back of the seats. Those are unused at this point for the problems they cause with load/unload but were a version of your idea I think.

You're thinking of a recent patent filing. The link provided by @lazyboy97o in the post above yours shows a patent from a couple years ago for a system that handles riders' bags.

And I don't think you understood my bin idea for Forbidden Journey. I wasn't suggesting just bolting bins onto the sides of the benches that would be flailed around with the riders, but rather bins attached to the base of the overall ride vehicle, which stays flat on the floor and travels at a constant speed the entire time. They would then tuck themselves down out of the way of the benches during the ride portion.

-Rob

JoeCamel

You're thinking of a recent patent filing. The link provided by @lazyboy97o in the post above yours shows a patent from a couple years ago for a system that handles riders' bags.

And I don't think you understood my bin idea for Forbidden Journey. I wasn't suggesting just bolting bins onto the sides of the benches that would be flailed around with the riders, but rather bins attached to the base of the overall ride vehicle, which stays flat on the floor and travels at a constant speed the entire time. They would then tuck themselves down out of the way of the benches during the ride portion.

-Rob
I see, more complicated with the mechanical aspect

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom