Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamikaze

CDC backtracks again...shocker. But hey, this is good news, so I'm sure the "we don't know enough about this virus" crowd will simply wait for more "new research" which will tell them to stay inside longer and they should now wear three masks at the same time and all will be right in their world again.

Thats not true. The research wasn't completed, no one knew if it could spread from surfaces or not. It can still LIVE on those surfaces, but retransmission to another person is not likely.

VaderTron

The picture they are talking about yes but they don't look to be very close .

@JoeCamel This poster sadly represents how "deeply" people perceive the world and ponder the consequences of actions.

@lilypgirl What happens to you if the person in front of you on a roller-coaster throws up? Now apply that lesson to the invisible droplets potentially containing Covid-19 coming out of the mouths of those screaming ahead of you.

Disstevefan1

CDC backtracks again...shocker. But hey, this is good news, so I'm sure the "we don't know enough about this virus" crowd will simply wait for more "new research" which will tell them to stay inside longer and they should now wear three masks at the same time and all will be right in their world again.

View attachment 471743

Looks like the same switch-a-rew they did with the masks. Both with a “good” motive. Initially they said masks were not effective so folks would not buy up the medical masks. Now that we have flattened the curve, they tell us the truth about COVID and surfaces, before we flattened the curve they told us COVID could be spread on surfaces so folks would be extra careful and sanitary during that time.

I am happy I need not go through the “decontamination ritual” every time Amazon comes to the door.

Brooklin Disney Dad

In the other thread Martin hinted at EPCOT opening the same time as everything else so there‘s a good shot it’s open in August. :) Obviously no guarantee.
Of all the WDW parks, I think EPCOT would provide the worst experience. The park already has a lack of rides. Limited rides and social distancing would make Soarin and TT virtually impossible to get on. And the Showcase would likely have limited/no shows to avoid having crowds standing around and watching. KidCot would not happen. And then there is all the construction. So many of Disney’s rides have winding lines. Curious to see how they change their queues. Can every ride be programmed for virtual queues? Will people just stand around until their phone beeps for a ride!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thats not true. The research wasn't completed, no one knew if it could spread from surfaces or not. It can still LIVE on those surfaces, but retransmission to another person is not likely.
Here is a few screenshots from an article from March. I just did a quick search online and found it. From the looks of the article, the CDC backed these experiments.

Screenshot_20200522-084119.png

Screenshot_20200522-084607.png

Screenshot_20200522-084727.png

I'm sure there are many articles and studies that show 50 different results. My main point was that many people will cling to a study that suits their personal position and completely dismiss other studies that are contradictory with their beliefs and they toss out the excuse of , "we just don't know enough about this virus yet".

JoeCamel

Here is a few screenshots from an article from March. I just did a quick search online and found it. From the looks of the article, the CDC backed these experiments.

View attachment 471750
View attachment 471751

View attachment 471752

I'm sure there are many articles and studies that show 50 different results. My main point was that many people will cling to a study that suits their personal position and completely dismiss other studies that are contradictory with their beliefs and they toss out the excuse of , "we just don't know enough about this virus yet".
I think some of the disconnect comes from being able to detect the virus on a surface and there being enough to cause infection. Sure it may be on the surface for three days or whatever but will it infect those who touch that surface? Not likely if you are washing your hands and not touching everything that is close to you.

More likely to get it through a droplet than touching then touching your face.

ToTBellHop

You could just use the CDC estimate if you want. Though I’m not sure when people want to listen to them and when they don’t. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 471742
They estimate 0.4% of the symptomatic die. They also estimate 35% of those with the virus are asymptomatic. That brings the true fatality rate to 0.26%. Continued good news on the treatment front and a stronger campaign for flu vaccines could prevent another lock-down.

jinx8402

I think some of the disconnect comes from being able to detect the virus on a surface and there being enough to cause infection. Sure it may be on the surface for three days or whatever but will it infect those who touch that surface? Not likely if you are washing your hands and not touching everything that is close to you.

Exactly, and that first screen shot specifically says it is believed to be mostly spread by person to person contact. This recent study was further study on how easy it is to transmit via surface contamination. It's almost like they needed to study this specific virus more and release new information as they validate it.

Hawg G

So meaning they have to give them a timeline to return to the states from their own countries. With the way flying is difficult nowadays, that would be hard.

If they are getting unemployment, they are making more than Disney pays them by far. That’s a big problem everywhere. When free money is equal to $50k a year, nobody rushes to a job like a Disney CM.

lazyboy97o

Looks like the same switch-a-rew they did with the masks. Both with a “good” motive. Initially they said masks were not effective so folks would not buy up the medical masks. Now that we have flattened the curve, they tell us the truth about COVID and surfaces, before we flattened the curve they told us COVID could be spread on surfaces so folks would be extra careful and sanitary during that time.

I am happy I need not go through the “decontamination ritual” every time Amazon comes to the door.
What switch? You would not assume something new behaves like similar things?

Same with the antibody tests. Having antibodies doesn’t mean we know what level generally denotes immunity.

DisneyDebRob

View attachment 471750
View attachment 471751

View attachment 471752

It’s real easy to follow. This is science at its best. Release info based on what you know at that point.. continue to study and double check.. release updated info if earlier study was off or wrong in anyway. That’s science working at its finest. Tomorrow may bring something new, so I’m glad to see science working like it should.

There are no discrepancies, just updated info as more data is taken in.

lilypgirl

@JoeCamel This poster sadly represents how "deeply" people perceive the world and ponder the consequences of actions.

@lilypgirl What happens to you if the person in front of you on a roller-coaster throws up? Now apply that lesson to the invisible droplets potentially containing Covid-19 coming out of the mouths of those screaming ahead of you.
Well since odds are in my favor like the majority of Americans of surviving covid 19 I will take the risk. Honestly if I weren't healthy and I thought I was at risk I wouldn't venture into a theme park or any crowded space with lots of strangers right now.

DisneyOutsider

and the rivalry continues... At Universal they mark "where to stand"; at Disney they mark "where NOT to stand". I figured Disney thinks negative reinforcement goes a longer way for guest compliance...

Having "Do Not Stand Here" decals makes more sense for the simple reason that these temporary decals will degrade and become unusable much quicker with people constantly standing on them vs. the space in-between them. I think it's really that simple.

DisneyDebRob

Sure. Makes sense. You’re right. This is science.

However, and here’s the kicker....

They didn’t just release info did they? Policies with far reaching implications where made around this info.
It’s always evolving, I don’t see your point.
Any policies based around known info at the time is ok. Changing policies as the studies change is ok. Keeping policies based on old info that is wrong is not ok. That hasn’t happened.

carolina_yankee

and the rivalry continues... At Universal they mark "where to stand"; at Disney they mark "where NOT to stand". I figured Disney thinks negative reinforcement goes a longer way for guest compliance...

I’ve wondered about that. I think they are the same marking as Shanghai. I’m wondering if they are about six feet so you don’t have to measure when you put them down? Seems like a silly reason for a place like Disney, but it does make it easier to avoid errors. Just put it down and leave a gap before the next one. Plus I can see it easier to get compliance if people know where they can’t stand than where they can.

Heppenheimer

Well since odds are in my favor like the majority of Americans of surviving covid 19 I will take the risk. Honestly if I weren't healthy and I thought I was at risk I wouldn't venture into a theme park or any crowded space with lots of strangers right now.
And if you catch it and pass on the virus to a bunch of people more vulnerable than yourself? Tough breaks for them, I guess?

jinx8402

Sure. Makes sense. You’re right. This is science.

However, and here’s the kicker....

They didn’t just release info did they? Policies with far reaching implications where made around this info.

I mean, you do realize way back in March Fauci was stating that it is low risk from touching contaminated items, so long as you are washing your hands, correct? And that this information was reported on?

Again, it's almost as if as they further study, they are confirming that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom