Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tink242424

For the 4,724th time now... say it with me folks... the mask does not protect you. Not wearing a mask does not put you more at risk. The mask is there in case you are infected to prevent you from spreading your respiratory droplets to others. That's it. Wearing a mask has absolutely nothing to do with your own protection.

That is the current thinking but we aren't sure if it is really true. I'm not saying we shouldn't wear masks but there are some legitimate questions on how much spread it reduces. Now even a small percentage reduction would be good but I think there are real questions that should be studied/evaluated and disseminated to the public.

Polynesia

I hope somebody who lives in Florida could help me, please. I have a villa booked near Davenport from 7th June till 28th June and the owners have not yet been in contact. I fear that if I cancel I will lose a lot of money. I have heard that short term rentals were banned under the Florida Governor’s instructions. Is this still the case? I’m hoping so because then they will have to cancel and I stand a chance of a refund! I would then have been moving to WDW so is vaguely related to the thread. I have looked on line but can’t find any up to date information. Obviously we can’t go anyway because of international travel restrictions. Many thanks in advance.
Yes, short term rentals are still banned as far as I know. The rental homes in the area look empty. Davenport is Polk County and their numbers have been going up quite a bit lately. Maybe you can use that, too. Is the owner out of the country? Most of them are in that area.

Polynesia

That is the current thinking but we aren't sure if it is really true. I'm not saying we shouldn't wear masks but there are some legitimate questions on how much spread it reduces. Now even a small percentage reduction would be good but I think there are real questions that should be studied/evaluated and disseminated to the public.
This confuses me. When I was in the hospital and contagious I wasn’t asked to wear a mask. When nurses came in my room they put on a surgical mask. If it didn’t protect them why did they put one on? It wasn’t to protect me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes, short term rentals are still banned as far as I know. The rental homes in the area look empty. Davenport is Polk County and their numbers have been going up quite a bit lately. Maybe you can use that, too. Is the owner out of the country? Most of them are in that area.

We have one booked near Seaside, FL for the week of July 12. Waiting game...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That park is traditionally where my kids' school takes their 8th grade class trip. We drive over from Seattle, stay at a hotel with an indoor water park/laser tage/go-carts/boweling alley. We take the kids to Silverwood and turn them "loose". Occasionally the water park is open when we go. It's small enough that we're comfortable letting the kids be on their own but it has enough to keep them occupied. Would we rather go to Disney? Of course! But given that we're a private school, a lot of families have already forked out a ton on tuition and don't have the extra funds to spend on airfare to fly to Anaheim. The 8th grade class funds still have to buy a large gift for the school at graduation, pay for the class trip, and pay for graduation. This year, their trip was "cancelled", although there is talk of taking them potentially in sometime in July, depending on what Seattle does with it's Stay-at-Home orders.
It's no disrespect to Idaho, I was just referring to the scale of that park in semi-remote area vs. Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This confuses me. When I was in the hospital and contagious I wasn’t asked to wear a mask. When nurses came in my room they put on a surgical mask. If it didn’t protect them why did they put one on? It wasn’t to protect me.
It works both ways. If you are sick enough and your immune system is compromised they don’t want to give you anything else that could complicate things even more. The nurses and doctors also didn’t want to catch whatever you had. In the case of this cloth face coverings they really don’t protect the wearer very much.

Polynesia

It works both ways. If you are sick enough and your immune system is compromised they don’t want to give you anything else that could complicate things even more. The nurses and doctors also didn’t want to catch whatever you had. In the case of this cloth face coverings they really don’t protect the wearer very much.
Thank you. It always seemed backwards to me that masks trap what’s going out but not what’s coming in. Every little bit helps hopefully

Seanual757

I hope somebody who lives in Florida could help me, please. I have a villa booked near Davenport from 7th June till 28th June and the owners have not yet been in contact. I fear that if I cancel I will lose a lot of money. I have heard that short term rentals were banned under the Florida Governor’s instructions. Is this still the case? I’m hoping so because then they will have to cancel and I stand a chance of a refund! I would then have been moving to WDW so is vaguely related to the thread. I have looked on line but can’t find any up to date information. Obviously we can’t go anyway because of international travel restrictions. Many thanks in advance.

Yes unless you are local they cannot rent to folks out of state at this time this is currently going on now. I would reach out to them are they aware you are an international traveler.

Miss Bella

Woodies means a wooden coaster. Airtime is when you float out of your seat when you go over hills on a coaster.

Not to sound rude but it feels more and more Disney fans don't ride coasters much or go to other parks.
I’ve been to Sea world, knotts, and magic mountain in California. I have nothing against other theme parks. I love Universal in both Cali and Florida. I think most theme other than the ones in a Florida get mostly locals.

Tink242424

Thank you. It always seemed backwards to me that masks trap what’s going out but not what’s coming in. Every little bit helps hopefully

Yeah, and with my sister who is a nurse and of course through social media we know that the hospitals have not been giving PPE out to their staff so it might have even just been that they didn't have the supplies to give to the nurse. Ideally anyone coming in your room should have had and N95 and be fully covered in PPE. It is sad how unprepared our hospitals & states were for a pandemic.

Still goes to show that we have a lot to learn about masks and if they prevent spread and if so, how much? I'm definitely not saying that we shouldn't right now as something is better than nothing but we cannot definitively claim that we know they do protect others. There are still a lot of unanswered questions.

The real unfortunate thing about the pandemic is that we truly don't understand the virus, how it spreads and obviously what are the best treatments. I truly hope that in another month or 2 we can start to really know the answers that we need.

Polynesia

Yeah, and with my sister who is a nurse and of course through social media we know that the hospitals have not been giving PPE out to their staff so it might have even just been that they didn't have the supplies to give to the nurse. Ideally anyone coming in your room should have had and N95 and be fully covered in PPE. It is sad how unprepared our hospitals & states were for a pandemic.

Still goes to show that we have a lot to learn about masks and if they prevent spread and if so, how much? I'm definitely not saying that we shouldn't right now as something is better than nothing but we cannot definitively claim that we know they do protect others. There are still a lot of unanswered questions.

The real unfortunate thing about the pandemic is that we truly don't understand the virus, how it spreads and obviously what are the best treatments. I truly hope that in another month or 2 we can start to really know the answers that we need.
Thank you. It would be extremely helpful to know if we’re all trying to take the correct action😀 in the meantime we do what we’re told works best.

Miss Bella

Did you have the flu?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I haven't kept up with this thread and rumors much lately. What is the rumor?
From this post. The gist of the rumor is WDW would require reservations each day after the parks open and that AP holders would not be admitted with their APs but would be offered the opportunity to buy a 1 day ticket at a discount.

This is a rumor, I repeat a rumor. Seems they have a lot of details though. It’s a way to control things, I can see that but the amount of grief they will receive would be unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom