Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Ok...I tried to red through all those swings and misses...but I had a hot flash back to the screamecape days...

What am I missing? It looks like wild rumors that missed 8 deadlines before the inevitable “plans changed...recession hit”

...if I had a nickel on that I’d spend it in the Australia or Spain Epcot pavilions or Hyperion wharf 🤔
Those were odd choices considering that some of those you suggested were officially announced.

I think the Thunder updates were well sourced rumors on here (Martin and others). The Speedway was speculative from the TRON concept art.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those were odd choices considering that some of those you suggested were officially announced.

I think the Thunder updates were well sourced rumors on here (Martin and others). The Speedway was speculative from the TRON concept art.
I could buy the thunder ones...though wdw doesn’t get the money to pluss old rides that’s Bob’s corporate show piece does. Been that way for along time and I don’t see it changing

The speedway? That seems more fanboy/spitball

The Hyperion wharf one was...though that was an obvious “concept” with no substance to shield the choice to close PI.

If I recall...Spain was a limited partnership with the Spanish government to sponsor some F&W stuff...not a pavilion. But people labeled themselves on the “inside” and ran with it. It was a good lesson on buyer beware with rumors.

Magic Feather

Ratatouille and Harmonious can still make it for Fall 2020 opening.
Between distancing and adding the months of no construction onto the timeline that it was already on, I would be shocked to see Harmonious before 2021. In fact, it may be turned into the de facto 50th Celebration promotional show, although that but is just personal spec.
I suspect planned refurb/upgrades will be cancelled/delayed. This would include things like Tomorrowland Speedway and Big Thunder Mountian Railroad.
BTM 3rd Lift is such a weird situation, and weirdly enough WDI might be to blame for it not having happened yet, but that’s something I haven’t gotten clarified.

As for Tomorrowland Speedway, at this point I have a lot more reasons to believe that it’s aesthetic overhaul/revamp is done/dead. I have reason to believe that the real repaint and track modifications effectively counted as the ride’s refurb to bring it to “New Tomorrowland Standards.” In fact (apart from the ongoing gateway/main entrance between MILF and SGE), I think we may have already seen the last of the great Tomorrowland Repainting/Modifications (Especially if Power and Light’s change gets cut).
The Hyperion wharf one was...though that was an obvious “concept” with no substance to shield the choice to close PI.
Hyperion Wharf was real, and really great. I wish a few more things from that proposal had to come to Springs. That said, it only put a bandaid on the larger problems of (at the time) Downtown Disney. When Hyperion was halted, and the plans got re-evaluated, they seemed to realize this leading to what is arguably the most successful WDW project of the last decade.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hyperion Wharf was real, and really great. I wish a few more things from that proposal had to come to Springs. That said, it only put a bandaid on the larger problems of (at the time) Downtown Disney. When Hyperion was halted, and the plans got re-evaluated, they seemed to realize this leading to what is arguably the most successful WDW project of the last decade.

The timing was all wrong. The closure was the priority...not the replacement.

It’s been so long...I don’t remember any of the kicked around concepts. They may have been great.

But you know as well as any a lot of “greatness” ends up in the WDI archives covered with 2” of dust

TrainsOfDisney

1. Employee costs
2. No upsell potential

I’m not pushing a theory...just saying I could see why bottomliners wouldn’t want that.

Oh for sure, I just wasn’t sure which point you were making. The current management really doesn’t like live entertainers. When major new attractions (rivers of light, Galaxies edge) open with extremely cut back live performers you know it’s serious.

I think Covid-19 will give them an excuse to cut a lot of live entertainment.

In theory they could even run multiple “once upon a time” level shows instead of a big fireworks show. That would help reduce crowding and also save them big $$$.

trainplane3

As for Tomorrowland Speedway, at this point I have a lot more reasons to believe that it’s aesthetic overhaul/revamp is done/dead. I have reason to believe that the real repaint and track modifications effectively counted as the ride’s refurb to bring it to “New Tomorrowland Standards.” In fact (apart from the ongoing gateway/main entrance between MILF and SGE), I think we may have already seen the last of the great Tomorrowland Repainting/Modifications (Especially if Power and Light’s change gets cut).
What a shame. While repainting the land and some slight changes to existing structures wasn't great, are they really going to stop and leave it looking even more awkward? Now we'll have TL79 by SM, TL94 in the middle area, and then TL2019(?) in the entrance and kind of in the middle.

Giss Neric

Can someone enlighten be but are those live entertainers who performed their last show in World Showcase before closures done for good? What was the cause - cutbacks, end of contracts etc.? Are they gonna be replaced with something new when Epcot opens?

TrainsOfDisney

Can someone enlighten be but are those live entertainers who performed their last show in World Showcase before closures done for good? What was the cause - cutbacks, end of contracts etc.? Are they gonna be replaced with something new when Epcot opens?

The ones who were cut were all 3rd party. Which is a good example of why Disney likes having more and more 3rd party employees.

They were cut because the parks were closing because of covid-19.

They could always be rehired if they were available and Disney wanted to bring them back.

Giss Neric

The ones who were cut were all 3rd party. Which is a good example of why Disney likes having more and more 3rd party employees.

They were cut because the parks were closing because of covid-19.

They could always be rehired if they were available and Disney wanted to bring them back.
That's good to hear that they could come back. But why dd they make it a big deal of having a last performance with all the coverage and media and stuff like they were never coming back?

peter11435

That's good to hear that they could come back. But why dd they make it a big deal of having a last performance with all the coverage and media and stuff like they were never coming back?
Because it was their last confirmed performance. Sure they might come back, but nobody knows for sure.

How many times has the Main Street electrical parade glowed away forever with great fanfare. I think we are up to at least 5.

Haymarket2008

I know they have the "perfect excuse" but we really think they're not going to pluss some attractions for the 50th? They desperately need guaranteed attendance coming up. The 50th is kinda the perfect hook.

Disneyson

I think it’s beyond unlikely that Disney will cut live entertainment forever. It is the saving grace for small children that cannot fill out a day with attractions, families with older members who cannot keep up with the hustle of a modern day at the parks, and families who come up SOL when booking FP+ Plans.

While I was in Hong Kong, I went to the parks with two friends who absolutely would not experience nearly any of the ride attractions. They had more interest in meeting characters and seeing shows. It isn’t a reality I live, but it is a reality that exists.

I imagine it is cheaper to hire for a Summer, Halloween, and Christmas entertainment push than finish the current projects left in-progress. After the outbreak, I can imagine an event based on Long-Lost characters, especially those from the 90s that are increasingly popular online and seem to be getting more play in Disney merchandise. Characters have power and snapping a picture with instant nostalgia is now more important than it has ever been.

I mourn the loss of these projects deeply. But entertainment is part of the promise of a Disney vacation, so much so that it is televised during Christmas. For the many guests that come for a once-in-a-lifetime visit, they will either spread VERY BAD word of mouth if they arrive and there is no parade, or else not book a trip at all until they can see their favorite characters again.

This is the chance I don’t see the company taking, tarnishing a promise that has been kept essentially since the opening of Disneyland.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

I think it’s beyond unlikely that Disney will cut live entertainment forever. It is the saving grace for small children that cannot fill out a day with attractions, families with older members who cannot keep up with the hustle of a modern day at the parks, and families who come up SOL when booking FP+ Plans.

While I was in Hong Kong, I went to the parks with two friends who absolutely would not experience nearly any of the ride attractions. They had more interest in meeting characters and seeing shows. It isn’t a reality I live, but it is a reality that exists.
Of course they are interested in pictures/videos so they can brag about it in social media that they were in Disneyland. Ain't all do that nowadays, document and post on Twitter/Facebook and Instagram. Now, you add TikTok to that.

Tavernacle12

I know they have the "perfect excuse" but we really think they're not going to pluss some attractions for the 50th? They desperately need guaranteed attendance coming up. The 50th is kinda the perfect hook.

I don't think we'll be 100% back to normal in 2021 unless we get a vaccine this year. I think they'd start doing plussing once things normalize as an incentive to return, not necessarily tied to the 50th anymore. For all we know some rides might be closed until 2021 anyways (if they reopen this year at all) so they could just reopen closed rides as a 50th ceremony (plus presumably Rat will be ready next year and Railway is so new and got so little play before the close it's essentially new for it too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom