Controversial/ Unpopular theme park opinions

Cmdr_Crimson

• There is too much Star wars..I was happier when it was just Star Tours.
  • Pandora is Just The Land Pavilion for AK FoP (Soarin) & Navi River Journey (Living with The Land).
  • I liked Liberty Inn and Electric Umbrella
  • I like Downtown Disney.....Pre Springs with Mcdonalds sans El Polo Loco..
  • I liked when AK closed at 5pm
  • I enjoyed the original DME videos
  • I'd rather hear Joe Hursch narrate the lines of Disney Transportation than hearing Tom Kane's quiet version of Prof. Plutonium's voice throughout.

adimond

Long, slow, air-conditioned dark rides were the key factor that made a Central Florida summer vacation tolerable, not to mention worthwhile. Disney has been gradually ruining the guest experience at WDW for decades now by removing and/or replacing them.

They should never hold another parade, even when social distancing ends.

An hour at Magic Kingdom would be better spent watching Country Bear Jamboree three times in a row vs. standing in line to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train once.

San Angel Inn is my favorite place to eat in the parks, unless Cava del Tequila counts. The next best is the fast-food noodle house in Japan, and then probably Le Cellier. Food options outside Epcot are still 85% cruddy, although booze options have certainly improved.

Other than Flight of Passage and Rise of the Resistance, the most fun addition at Disney in the past decade was the resurrection of Captain EO. A revival of Magic Journeys should be the next thing they do with the Imagination theater, followed by a return of Honey I Shrunk the Audience. Extinct rides are near-impossible to reinstall, but taking a more repertory approach to film attractions costs next to nothing. Someday you could bring back Symbiosis or (maybe) Timekeeper or even 60s Circlevision stuff...there are all kinds of weird treasures to dig up in the Imagineering filmography.

Frozen the ride is obviously not as good as Maelstrom, but it's still better than Frozen the movie.

Honestly, given how dire things are right now, I'd drop $100 just to do Stitch's Great Escape or visit Dr. Nigel Channing.

FettFan

The closing of The Animation Academy was a major loss for Hollywood Studios

...and they know it. From what I've heard, theyre bringing back Animation Academy at the Play/WoL at Epcot.

JUST KILL THE DOG MA'AM LAUNCH BAY ALREADY! LAUNCH BAY SUCKS!

It's a couple of costumes and props while you wait to meet a character and browse a gift shop. It's a total blooming waste.

Last edited:

DisneyNittany

I totally respect your viewpoint here, and there are indeed lots of incredible things to see and do in a lot of those cities. I guess my overwhelming feeling, though, is...
View attachment 463534

Sometimes I get the feeling that some people on here think that Disney and Culture (generalizing here, but I think you can understand what I mean) are two distinct things that cannot be intermixed, or a Disney trip can only be ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME and nothing else; it clearly makes sense to a lot of people, but I've never really seen this in places that discuss the other parks. And I'd say every Disney park, including the ones in the states, operate as part of, and not in opposition to, their localities and regions (Tom Bricker has claimed that Tokyo Disney, for example, is a more accurate view into modern Japan than visiting a shrine or temple, and honestly he's not wrong). But ultimately it comes down to balance. I would certainly never advocate, say, flying halfway across the world, doing the Asian parks, and then leaving, but I think that there's absolutely a way to distribute your time equitably between everything you might want to do. For the last three years, every visit I've made to a Disney park have included days at Disney and days doing something else. My trips are better for it and, as you say, the variety in those places is stunning.

Of course, sometimes there truly are so many things that people want to do that there simply is no room in those cities to fit Disney in, and it's up to you to determine what balance is right for you, and maybe that really does include, say, 2 full weeks in Paris without DLP. But a lot of times when people say things like that, it comes off to me like those people who say "I don't want to go to [insert foreign country here] because I haven't seen all of the US yet." The reality is that the likelihood of seeing "all" of the US in a lifetime is unlikely, no one ACTUALLY wants to see EVERYTHING, and that what is worthwhile is different for every person. And if any opportunity comes to see something new that you care about, are interested in, or is a new and different experience (and I reject the notion that all Disney parks/resorts are basically the same, or that there's a clear pecking order of the parks/resorts that's going to be true for everyone), you should take it.

But anyway, I'm a broken record on this topic, so I'll stop, but at the very least, yes, definitely stop by Disneyland the next time you're in LA!

Wife and I went to the Maldives last June, with "long layovers" in both Paris and Tokyo. She had been to both for work before, but it was my first time outside of North America (and Caribbean). We ended up deciding against DLP, since our thought was that it'd be much easier to get back there from Pittsburgh (we used to have a direct to Paris, but even still, it's an easy connection through NYC, DC, CLT, etc. to get back to Paris) so we decided on just sticking to exploring the city, which I don't regret at all.

However, since this was a long, long trip (2.5 weeks) by the time we got to Tokyo, I was needing something "familiar". Also, if we're being honest, I was a little intimated by the Japanese culture too (or what I perceived and stereotyped to be the Japanese culture), so I really wanted to start at Tokyo Disney to get my feet wet. We did a full day at DisneySea and a following half day at Disneyland, before taking the train into the city, where we still had three full days. I thought it was a great blend, that allowed for us to check off two additional Disney parks, without really sacrificing too much of what we wanted to experience in Tokyo itself.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
EPCOT edition:
I will enjoy Epcot in 2023 more than I enjoyed Epcot last fall.
Mission Space isn't good enough to justify being one of the 5 open pavilions in Future World.
I'm excited for the Play Pavilion and the Guardians Coaster
Food & Wine was just OK
It was time for Illuminations:RoE to go. Not that it wasn't good, but it was time.

DisneyNittany

EPCOT edition:
I will enjoy Epcot in 2023 more than I enjoyed Epcot last fall.
Mission Space isn't good enough to justify being one of the 5 open pavilions in Future World.
I'm excited for the Play Pavilion and the Guardians Coaster
Food & Wine was just OK
It was time for Illuminations:RoE to go. Not that it wasn't good, but it was time.

Flower & Garden >>>> Food & Wine

celluloid

I don't get it.......what is so controversial or unpopular about those stances?

You cut my quote, as for the rest of it I have seen it a lot in the people who look forward toLight Cycle Run as if it was a Big Thunder or Hagrids. The people who Tron and and Shanghai Pirates make a park while the rest has little theme or feeling is what my opinion was.

Cmdr_Crimson

Peter Pan's flight is the most overrated ride in all of Disney. I do not get the love for the ride. Peter Pan deserves a much better ride and a land like the one being built at Disney Sea.

Even stranger is while Peter Pan get's a an 80 to 120 min wait.....ET Adventure at Universal while using the same concept of flying over sets can normally get a 5 min wait...I've hardly ever see the extended cue section for that ride being used...

UNCgolf

Yeah it's very odd. ET is a better ride IMO.

I think that's partially a factor of the clientele involved. People aren't usually looking for classic dark rides at Universal (ET is the only one left, I think, unless you count Men In Black). It's also kind of hidden by itself in an area for little kids. There are a lot of things going against it.

I do think it's a great ride, though.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I think that's partially a factor of the clientele involved. People aren't usually looking for classic dark rides at Universal (ET is the only one left, I think, unless you count Men In Black). It's also kind of hidden by itself in an area for little kids. There are a lot of things going against it.

I do think it's a great ride, though.
Yeah I absolutely agree. I hope if Pokemon replaces Kidszone that ET will stay and get a new entrance. Similar to how Disney did it for Toy Story Mania.

Parker in NYC

Theme park admission is affordable and almost undervalued compared to concerts and theater. I mean, it would be if there were concerts and theater.

I read that all the time and find it not only controversial and unpopular but RIDICULOUS. I guess one could say that it's rather popular to say...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom