Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, this happened at the presser yesterday -

"Floridians will be keeping their distance and wearing face masks for up to a year until a COVID-19 vaccine exists, Florida Surgeon General Scott Rivkees said Monday before being whisked away by the governor’s spokeswoman.

Rivkees told reporters that Floridians needed to get used to current precautions, such as avoiding crowds of 10 or more and wearing face masks in public.

“Until we get a vaccine, which is a while off, this is going to be our new normal and we need to adapt and protect ourselves,” he said."

Yikes. That would not be a good outcome for WDW if they followed that path. :(

Polynesia

I don’t think anyone is dumb enough to think that Disney will open before the state or federal government gives the green light. The question is when will that green light come.
I do think it will open in a limited capacity with the governments approval. I doubt us posters know all the facts.

Polynesia

Florida real estate is gonna be so cheap when all the people that lose their jobs leave for greener pastures. :(🤒💩
I’m not sure where pastures are much greener. The entire country has people losing their jobs and possibly their homes. Such a sad situation.

Patcheslee

Kings Island and Cedar Point have extended all 2020 passes AND add-ons thru 2021 season. KI has lost only 1 public operating day so far, whereas Knotts lost 18 operating days before extending passes the 2021.
Makes me question the mid-May target many were hoping for.

JoeCamel

I’m not sure where pastures are much greener. The entire country has people losing their jobs and possibly their homes. Such a sad situation.
If you can't work in the service/tourism/hospitality industry due to lack of work you have to go elsewhere. Not a lot of highly skilled labor in that pool that can switch to manufacturing or something. Those jobs are gone as well due to lack of demand for many products. Bright side is lower gas prices at the pump but the oil workers are losing high paying jobs in droves. I'm not sure if you understand the scope of what has happened in Florida, other places have something else to depend on but Florida is all tourism related.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm not sure if you understand the scope of what has happened in Florida, other places have something else to depend on but Florida is all tourism related.

I’m not sure if you understand the scope of what has happened globally. Florida isn’t special. Just as many people work in tourism / hospitality in New York City, Etc.

All industries, including medical, are laying people off or furloughing. There is nowhere to go no matter your skills right now.

Polynesia

If you can't work in the service/tourism/hospitality industry due to lack of work you have to go elsewhere. Not a lot of highly skilled labor in that pool that can switch to manufacturing or something. Those jobs are gone as well due to lack of demand for many products. Bright side is lower gas prices at the pump but the oil workers are losing high paying jobs in droves. I'm not sure if you understand the scope of what has happened in Florida, other places have something else to depend on but Florida is all tourism related.
Yeah, I do understand. I live in Florida right by the tourist hot spots. I’ve been in finance my entire career so I’ve got a good grasp on the situation. I guess I’m just more optimistic that not everything will be gone. Plus I listen to the local politicians who have talked recently about how diversified Florida has become over the years industry wise. Going to another state when you’re unskilled as you call them won’t help much either. They’ll just be competing with the thousands that are unemployed in that state and are willing to do any job. But thanks for explaining it to me.

MickeyLuv'r

why would most research facilities even think you had any reason to keep looking for vaccine for something that was no longer a threat?

This is the question I attempted to answer.

But please just stop quoting me, because this discussion isn't going anywhere.

A quick internet search will show everyone who cares that many research studies have been published on MERs and other viruses every year, including papers on vaccine research.

See: Journal of Virology, Journal of Infection in Developing countries, NIH, NIAID, Nature Communications, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Virology Journal, and a host of other journals on virology if you want to know more.

Last edited:

ElvisMickey

Businesses are going to find a way to make it work while following the federal and local guidelines.

That’s my point. If movie theaters are unable to open until August, how long do you think it will be before Disney does? And, once they CAN open, they just can’t flick the switch to make everything magical again. It’s going to take time.

Kevin_W

Ohio can't seem to figure itself out. 2 articles today in the Columbus Dispatch. One talking about the fact that they just opened the convention center to house Covid patients in expectations of a 10,000 case per day surge. A second article saying that in the last 24 hours we've had 305 new cases (down from 366 five days ago). The same article talks about the Ohio State model that predicts a peak of 1607 vases later this week, but they don't mention that that same model predicted ~1200 for yesterday and today.

hopemax

Re: Testing

I was reading an article about the situation in Georgia. Just yesterday, the Governor expanded testing:

"Kemp also announced plans Monday to make more Georgians eligible for COVID-19 testing. The state had been rationing its limited supplies to those most vulnerable of developing critical cases amid a nationwide shortage of testing kits.

Kemp’s new relaxed protocols would allow workers in critical infrastructure jobs who display symptoms to be tested, as well as people without symptoms who have come into contact with an infected person."

If Georgia is only just now, getting testing to those groups, what do we really know about the state of things?

Here in Colorado, we've got an outbreak brewing in the homeless population. In one of our most affected counties they shut down the meat packing facility. There are multiple articles, country-wide about outbreaks in prisons and the continuing stories of care facilities. Stability in the large metro areas is good news, but if in dark and rural corners it's growing unchecked, the seeds of another wave are being sewn.

We've got a long, long way to go, guys. If people want to do it faster, people have to insist their communities and state test more. There is no shortcut.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ohio can't seem to figure itself out. 2 articles today in the Columbus Dispatch. One talking about the fact that they just opened the convention center to house Covid patients in expectations of a 10,000 case per day surge. A second article saying that in the last 24 hours we've had 305 new cases (down from 366 five days ago). The same article talks about the Ohio State model that predicts a peak of 1607 vases later this week, but they don't mention that that same model predicted ~1200 for yesterday and today.
You sure it was 10,000 cases a day they were expecting for the convention center? When they opened the Javits Center in NY it had room for 1,000 patients total. That would be quite a large temporary hospital. Might just be a case of some bad reporting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is no doubt that this will lead to Disney and every other company reevaluating their businesses to be better prepared for the aftermath of Covid-19 and future events. It wouldn’t make sense to do anything less and you don’t need an Iger statement to know that. Excess overhead, fixed costs, bloated staffing levels, and vulnerability have to be looked at by every company.
I agree...

The problem is when TWDC tends to focus on this...parks tend to cost more/suck more
Adjustments, rightsizing, and even more automation seem to be very likely at this point for many companies once things open back up. Those that are operating right now are learning what they can and cannot live without and where their glaring shortcomings were/are. I suspect many will probably learn they did not invest enogh in IT, both front and back ends.
Less employment...more disparity...more bread and circuses for everyone! 🤡🍞

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Re: Testing

I was reading an article about the situation in Georgia. Just yesterday, the Governor expanded testing:

"Kemp also announced plans Monday to make more Georgians eligible for COVID-19 testing. The state had been rationing its limited supplies to those most vulnerable of developing critical cases amid a nationwide shortage of testing kits.

Kemp’s new relaxed protocols would allow workers in critical infrastructure jobs who display symptoms to be tested, as well as people without symptoms who have come into contact with an infected person."

If Georgia is only just now, getting testing to those groups, what do we really know about the state of things?

Here in Colorado, we've got an outbreak brewing in the homeless population. In one of our most affected counties they shut down the meat packing facility. There are multiple articles, country-wide about outbreaks in prisons and the continuing stories of care facilities. Stability in the large metro areas is good news, but if in dark and rural corners it's growing unchecked, the seeds of another wave are being sewn.

We've got a long, long way to go, guys. If people want to do it faster, people have to insist their communities and state test more. There is no shortcut.
The battle that’s brewing now...and the reason that the northeast and west coast declared their “independence” yesterday (I’m sorry...a brilliant tactical political move...but i’ll Not delve into it 🤭)...

Is that there’s a centralized “resistance” to an expensive, uniform testing strategy. But it has to be done.

This “shut up and open up...” strategy for money and PR will never get off the ground unless we all grin and bite the bullet to pay and implement the testing on a 100% basis. The longer it’s resisted...the more it costs.

hopemax

You sure it was 10,000 cases a day they were expecting for the convention center? When they opened the Javits Center in NY it had room for 1,000 patients total. That would be quite a large temporary hospital. Might just be a case of some bad reporting.

Yeah, the article I found said it was a 1000 bed field hospital, for the use of patients who still needed recovery time, but no longer critical, to keep hospital beds clear. The quotes from the county health commissioner were along the lines of "I'd rather we have it and not need it, than the other way around."

Last edited:

Josh Hendy

I think the various authorities and the media are muddled and confused. Earlier today someone posted quotes by Fauci and in the same interview he said, "In the US don't bother wearing a mask the ones they sell are too cheap" and, "If you get a package don't worry you can touch it, this virus is airborne not spread by touch". Probably made perfect sense to him but what the heck does he actually want us to do? No wonder the discussions on this thread are so acrimonious and circular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom