Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zengoth

If I'm at the end of a one way aisle and forgot something at the other end of the aisle, I might get the evil eye if I go the wrong way.
It's like living in a neighborhood with one way streets and trying to find parking - when an aisle was full of people, i'd have to skip two, then double back, then peek back to the original aisle to see if it cleared. Produce sections and deli were a free-for-all. It would be so much easier if grocery stores employed an omnimover.

Angel Ariel

No one is disagreeing with that. But that's not really what's on the table.. which is why some just don't get it. It's not just a 'I'm home, or I'm at school". I encourage you to dig into the discussions going on in your own local school districts to start to understand the challenges they are facing with standards of learning, how to address special needs, disparities in environments, grading, standardized tests (such as AP tests), past work, etc. All these things take changes to accommodate... all these things mean changes to the way things are being ran.. not just day to day, but for the rest of the year. To turn around and say 'oh, nope.. do all this, but we may change it again in a few weeks' is not really practical.

The schools initially had to come up with plans on how to tread water with the uncertainty of return. For most.. that meant 'do nothing' except try to get the online connectivity in place, and deal with school lunches, etc. Then they started to look at the academic issues.. and make changes to try to fit in their new world. Doing so means changing the expectations for the kids AND teachers. That takes time to develop, roll out, and adapt to. Then if you were to try to say 'ok, nope.. we can all go back to normal'... then you have to deal with how do you reconcile all the changes you made inbetween.. and what do you do going forward? Change back to 'normal'?

Imagine just being the kid trying to say "will this be on the test?" let alone the teacher trying to understand what they are allowed to teach or not, what grades will be made from... and then say 'lets just keep evaluating this every few weeks?'

Unless you just want endless churn... it's not practical.

I really encourage people to look into their own local school board discussions if they really think this is just "cleaning the buses and buildings". They need to do some homework.
As a special education parent much involved in advocacy/school board issues within my district:

👏👏👏👏👏👏

Angel Ariel

Of course, if there are concerns that kids' learning has fallen behind, there is nothing to stop the distance learning school year continuing through the summer months if lock down measures remain in place. There is nothing, other than tradition, that says school stops on a particular date.
there are teacher contracts.

(to clarify they generally don’t specify a specific date, but they are a very specific number of instructional days).

Calmdownnow

They are - and it sounds like your mom got good care, working with her for her safety too! it’s a hard thing for families to witness.
She got good care, but there were some funny times too -- including when four patients in the common room, who had compulsive movements ran into each other and fell over when they didn't realize the door was closed. My mother computed this as they were all doing the Conga dance to celebrate the "cruise ship" crossing the international data line.

Angel Ariel

How different are her days now versus before from a teaching aspect? Is she issuing more papers as opposed to tests/exams? Two of my boys are in elementary school and they seem to have basic assignments to complete that on average they complete in 1-2 hours. Looking at MS/HS for my state it appears they’re getting weekly plans that they pick and choose assignments from to do for that week. In terms of ‘classes’ they’ve been doing three thirty minute sessions a week.
Our district is expecting kids to be doing work longer than that. DD’s (2nd grade) schedule is 1 hr video conference in the morning Monday-Thursday, then an hour and a half of independent study. 1 hour for lunch. 1 more hour of video conference office hours, then another 1.5-2 hours of independent study (using materials provided by both their teacher and the district‘a central office). Specials teachers are also creating assignments.

These teachers deserve their summer this year more than ever.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Our district is expecting kids to be doing work longer than that. DD’s (2nd grade) schedule is 1 hr video conference in the morning Monday-Thursday, then an hour and a half of independent study. 1 hour for lunch. 1 more hour of video conference office hours, then another 1.5-2 hours of independent study (using materials provided by both their teacher and the district‘a central office). Specials teachers are also creating assignments.

These teachers deserve their summer this year more than ever.

Sounds like they're trying to largely recreate the entire day. That's interesting.

The Mom

Premium Member
German researchers say the United States is only detecting 1.6% of novel coronavirus cases, suggesting there may already be some 26 million infections nationally, 1 million in Florida and several tens of millions worldwide.
In a way, a potentially much higher denominator portends good news of much lower death rates than previously feared. But because of delayed or insufficient testing, the German researchers also conclude that current case counts aren’t very useful information, especially in the U.S., Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, where response to COVID-19 outbreaks has been slower. So they call for urgent improvement in detecting new infections to contain the virus and prevent second and subsequent "waves" of spread.

Could you please provide a link. Thank you.

disney4life2008

This may be cynical on my part, but, I could imagine a conversation in which WDW was told a closure was coming and it was in their best PR interest to close 'voluntarily' before being forced to. And here's the reward for being a team player in that regard.

This is a load of crap from both Disney and the mayor. And to be clear i live in Orlando. Disney kept the parks open and only closed for the initial 2 weeks, they had every intent on being back up in operation by April. As for the mayor, he knows that Disney is a major heavy weight (and Universal and to a greater less extent sea world) bring in millions so the city cannot ruin that relationship.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry...I’m changing the bet to not include the East Asian parks...

They’ll do it as a “societal” choice before the Western Hemisphere
I will still take the under but I’m no longer betting my house on it. Maybe just a few roles of TP ;)

Japan not looking too good. Paris could actually be first to open outside of China/Hong Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom