Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

Replacement Effect will substitute lower cost hamburger for filet mignon and say there is no inflation.
Then, because demand for hamburger goes up, so does the price of hamburger. But the price of filet mignon goes down. In the meantime, the price of potatoes, rice etc increase as people buy smaller cuts of meat/protein and increase the portion of cheap carbs. (Giffen goods theory.)

Flugell

Conversely and only for the opportunity to be awkward, how many of those countries would accept a vaccine from the USA without a lot of testing and no political bias? Where would the U.K. fit in - just asking!

DisneyDebRob

"Publix announced Thursday that the aisles in its grocery stores will become one-way to keep customers further apart amid the coronavirus outbreak."

“To help with customer traffic flow, we have added directional markings, companywide, to our aisles. This will allow customers and associates to better distance themselves while on the aisles,” a statement from Publix said.

So hope it works better then the local grocery stores around here. I swear no one looks down at the arrows. The aisles are still mobbed with people going back and forth.

ImperfectPixie

So hope it works better then the local grocery stores around here. I swear no one looks down at the arrows. The aisles are still mobbed with people going back and forth.
Granted, it wasn't very busy while I was there, but Stop & Shop seemed to be doing well with it, and people seemed to be hyper aware of spacing between them. (Which is odd considering what I've previously said about the town's biggest FB group and people saying they won't wear masks, etc...it's basically the opposite. But our town covers tons of land and is very spread out, with multiple different sources for groceries.)

Calmdownnow

Conversely and only for the opportunity to be awkward, how many of those countries would accept a vaccine from the USA without a lot of testing and no political bias? Where would the U.K. fit in - just asking!
I think the key question for the UK would be what degree of price gouging is likely to be present in any presentation of a U.S. developed vaccine. ( But I don't actually believe the U.S. will bring the first effective drug to the market.) If the U.S. drugs companies are looking for their normal rate of return on a new drug to the international market, we will just wait for India or China to produce a cheap copy and then fight any copyright case in International Courts over the next five years

Polynesia

German researchers say the United States is only detecting 1.6% of novel coronavirus cases, suggesting there may already be some 26 million infections nationally, 1 million in Florida and several tens of millions worldwide.
In a way, a potentially much higher denominator portends good news of much lower death rates than previously feared. But because of delayed or insufficient testing, the German researchers also conclude that current case counts aren’t very useful information, especially in the U.S., Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, where response to COVID-19 outbreaks has been slower. So they call for urgent improvement in detecting new infections to contain the virus and prevent second and subsequent "waves" of spread.

Slpy3270

If there is value in portions of these businesses, they will be aquired.

The question is who will acquire them. The only people realistically interested in acquiring them are those who will face a lot of antitrust scrutiny (i.e. movie studios and tech companies).

Lilofan

"Publix announced Thursday that the aisles in its grocery stores will become one-way to keep customers further apart amid the coronavirus outbreak."

“To help with customer traffic flow, we have added directional markings, companywide, to our aisles. This will allow customers and associates to better distance themselves while on the aisles,” a statement from Publix said.

If I'm at the end of a one way aisle and forgot something at the other end of the aisle, I might get the evil eye if I go the wrong way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
German researchers say the United States is only detecting 1.6% of novel coronavirus cases, suggesting there may already be some 26 million infections nationally, 1 million in Florida and several tens of millions worldwide.
In a way, a potentially much higher denominator portends good news of much lower death rates than previously feared. But because of delayed or insufficient testing, the German researchers also conclude that current case counts aren’t very useful information, especially in the U.S., Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, where response to COVID-19 outbreaks has been slower. So they call for urgent improvement in detecting new infections to contain the virus and prevent second and subsequent "waves" of spread.

I trust the Germans. Something about their collective high iq gives me comfort.

The upside is the epidemic may not cause as much damage here as feared...medically

The downside is it may take way longer to clear the decks and get out of the hole.

Last edited:

monykalyn

@ImperfectPixie here’s hoping for speedy and uneventful recovery for your SiL!
All of this makes me very uneasy. While perhaps there are positives to be found, within the overall general population, due to successful social distancing, I remain concerned that we are setting up a game of whack-a-mole. Staff at these facilities don't have proper PPE, they are infecting each other. We're talking about loosening up restrictions, so that would reopen the door for infecting family and friends, and then it's off again, and then what do we do? Nothing good will come from playing whack-a-mole.
Challenge with the LTC residents is they do not get “social distancing”. Many also need assistance with eating and not enough staff to feed individually in rooms. Mine are being socially distanced in the dining rooms so staff can assist residents easier with just those that need assist eating (and all staff wearing masks). But isolating residents is a challenge, and it’s not even being attempted in the locked memory care units. Our NH have been locked down with restricted visitors for three weeks already and staff screening. Knock wood we’ve had many tested and no positives and it stays that way!

also a shout out “thank you”to hose sending in homemade masks. It does help. Also an “ask” to make all sizes as people’s faces don’t come in “one-size fits all”
MO schools just got notice out rest of year. We go til mid-May. Have been out since March 13 when Spring break started

Calmdownnow

and it’s not even being attempted in the locked memory care units.
I dread to think about the task facing care workers in these units. My mother spent her last 18 months in one and residents with various compulsions were wandering around touching every surface and each other; staff were having to deal with personal toilet care for each resident multiple times each day and washing, dressing and undressing them, in some cases feeding them. My mother would never have understood the need for a mask, or for staff to be masked. Ironically, her acceptance of her confinement (for her own safety) and the personal care she had to receive was that in her latter months, we persuaded her that she was on a cruise and so couldn't leave the ship and the care workers were cruise staff catering to her every need. The people who work in these care units are very dedicated.

monykalyn

Our favorite local pub needs to “float their kegs” offering free beer (BRing your own container) when you buy an entree and while looking for our growler came across my tiki mugs!
So “Cheers” that one day relatively soon we will be toasting that we are past this in Trader Sam’s!

Attachments

• 9E4A9066-5831-4E8B-A647-A9BD80140833.jpeg
    9E4A9066-5831-4E8B-A647-A9BD80140833.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 78

MaximumEd

The upside is the epidemic may not cause as much damage here as feared...medically

The downside is it may take way longer to clear end decks and get out of the hole.

If this is true about the number of cases here being 26 million, due to exponential growth, wouldn’t we hit herd immunity in no time?

Polynesia

The upside is the epidemic may not cause as much damage here as feared...mediclsly

The downside is it may take way longer to clear end decks and get out of the hole.
If this is true about the number of cases here being 26 million, due to exponential growth, wouldn’t we hit herd immunity in no time?
Thats what I was wondering. Wouldn’t this make a second wave less likely?

Calmdownnow

The problem is that the model estimate for herd immunity is in excess of 60% of the population, so you would need in excess of 180 million people in the U.S. to have experienced the virus and survived. Plus you are assuming that being infected and either having no, or limited, symptoms protects you from any future wave of infection, which is not yet proved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom