marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I didn't see this page posted here before, I could be wrong though. It shows some exterior photos but once you get past those there are interior pictures and aerials as well. There are three pages total. Very sad.

WARNING GRAPHIC
Those photos were quite common back in the day. There was a website called The Horizons Tragedy that documented virtually every day of it. IIRC it’s still around on the Wayback Machine. Those photos look very similar to what was on there.

Dragonman

To lighten things up a bit, here’s a neat little beat of trivia that doesn’t get mentioned very often..

Sometime after Horizons closed, the original Haunted Mansion Little Leota figure was put into storage and the Hologram Girl figure from Horizons replaced her (notice the flesh colored hands).

6E2B26B3-2D34-4A50-919B-2265DA76AD98.jpeg

AF202F02-4673-4DCC-AE86-F89330CA83F4.png

EB6F7196-40CD-4C55-89AE-5A67BD175B3B.png

(The heads in the storage pic are also from Horizons)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
To lighten things up a bit, here’s a neat little beat of trivia that doesn’t get mentioned very often..

Sometime after Horizons closed, the original Haunted Mansion Little Leota figure was put into storage and the Hologram Girl figure from Horizons replaced her (notice the flesh colored hands).

View attachment 461618

(The heads in the storage pic are also from Horizons)
Whew! For a moment, it looked like we were getting a glimpse into Trader Sam's parlor!

UNCgolf

Horizons is probably my favorite ride ever (as you can see by my profile pic), so I obviously wish it was still there.

With that said, they would have needed to do serious work on it for it to still be open today. I think almost all of the first half or so of the ride would need to be completely replaced with something new (especially the movie), and the best part of the ride (the trips through the future habitats) would also need a serious upgrade for modernization.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Horizons is probably my favorite ride ever (as you can see by my profile pic), so I obviously wish it was still there.

With that said, they would have needed to do serious work on it for it to still be open today. I think almost all of the first half or so of the ride would need to be completely replaced with something new (especially the movie), and the best part of the ride (the trips through the future habitats) would also need a serious upgrade for modernization.

Just imagine if they hadn't all-but-ignored Epcot in the 90's and had invested in more of the rides instead of letting them rot. The 1994 SSE refurb notwithstanding. It's fairly clear that the only ones who "got" EPCOT Center were the ones who built it.

UNCgolf

Just imagine if they hadn't all-but-ignored Epcot in the 90's and had invested in more of the rides instead of letting them rot. The 1994 SSE refurb notwithstanding. It's fairly clear that the only ones who "got" EPCOT Center were the ones who built it.

Exactly. There was no reason Horizons should have ever gotten to that point.

On the other hand, if they had invested in Horizons in the mid-late 90s, we could have gotten a bastardized version like the defacement of Journey into Imagination. I think I'd rather have a demolished Horizons than have that building still there with some atrocious replacement they were still calling Horizons.

CoasterSnoop

I don't understand why this ride was closed and demolished. It was so elaborate and really just needed a refurbishment. It could have easily become Epcot's Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion.
Mr. Chapek? Who hacked your account?

It really was the all-in-one dark ride for Epcot, and was already on the fast track to reaching legendary levels of iconic. Then again, I'm certain Disney would've bulldozed it by now if they didn't already back then, and we could've ended up with something more homogenized than what's there now.

MagicRat

This was my favorite ride too. My family didn’t understand why I would like to ride it multiple times, they thought it was because there wasn’t ever a wait.

What bothers me the most was I got to take my wife to Disney in August of 2000. We were 21, she only had been to Disney twice then. Now 21 years later she has only seen the YouTube video of it and she’s the Disney freak.

I agree it wouldn’t have held up without some improvements, but it was an amazing effort. I can still smell the oranges.

KaliSplash

I miss it greatly as well. But the, I miss the Cronkite version of Spaceship Earth, live narrators on Listen to the Land, Kitchen Kabaret, Journey into Imagination, World of Motion, Wonders of Life and the most recent version of the Universe of Energy.
Having said that, I do love the current version of The Seas, I love Soaring, I love Test Track and I Really Love Mission:Space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom