Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

I wanted to talk about Universal Studios Singapore for a moment. It has been operating so it may provide a good guide as to what we may see once Disneyland reopens.

Before I do however, it should be noted that Universal Studios Singapore will be closing April 7th. Singapore took very aggressive steps early in the process. As a result they never locked down. However, a second wave of infections has been worse than the first phase so Singapore is shutting down just about any public place where people gather in large numbers. A cautionary tale about restarting too soon.

In looking at what USS has been operating, here are some of the actions they have been taking that we could see at reopened parks here in the states. A friend of mine was at the park this past week. I was also in Singapore in February, but did not visit USS.

- Reduced hours
- Before getting into the park you are required going through temperature screening. Every guest walked past a camera that analyzes body temperature. Anyone with a higher than average temperature is turned away.
- All residents and visitors to Singapore now need to fill out a health declaration form. Singapore has developed a system to track people movement so they can better trace outbreaks during this time.
- All shows, indoor and outdoor are closed. This includes large shows like Waterworld as well as Shrek 4D and lights camera action, which is an indoor stage show.
- Meet and greets and all other entertainment was suspended. This includes streetmasphere, parades etc
- Fountains were turned off to discourage congregation
- All benches were taped off at the halfway point with a note encouraging only one person to occupy a bench at a time.
- Some seating inside restaurants was removed. The remaining seating was spaced far apart from each other.
- Rides were open but running at half capacity. Guests were seated in every other row.
- In queues staff were enforcing people to maintain at least 6 feet from each other. Indoor queues were hardly being used. Instead they were lining people outside and then only allow a few people into the indoor portion at a time for ride loading.
- For several rides, staff were disinfecting vehicles after every ride. Between this and only operating every other row, ride capacity was greatly reduced.
Never say never. Universal Singapore temperature checks each guest prior to entering..

DisneyCane

The conversation and debate is valid... its not just some moronic regurgitated thing like “its a hoax”... it just needs to be undertaken where all consequences are properly represented. Usually in the talking head world... some of the consequences are downplayed to “its just the flu...” or “how many people are worth it..” etc to skew the conclusion to their favor.

Its a option... but its been hijacked by people with an agenda.... and many running around yelling it now are just parrotting.

This is a very valid post. A pragmatic debate must be had and decisions must be made that balance health and economy. I, for one, can not be accused of parroting. All that needs to be done is to read my posts pre-shutdown and there will be no doubt that my opinions were created in my own head.

I will say that this debate can not be had in the normal one side or the other way. It is not debatable that you can't keep the economy shut down until a cure or vaccine is available. It is also not debatable that it would be unacceptable to do absolutely nothing and pretend the virus doesn't exist. A balance must be found once we (hopefully soon) reach the tail of the curve of the current outbreak.

Lilofan

This is a very valid post. A pragmatic debate must be had and decisions must be made that balance health and economy. I, for one, can not be accused of parroting. All that needs to be done is to read my posts pre-shutdown and there will be no doubt that my opinions were created in my own head.

I will say that this debate can not be had in the normal one side or the other way. It is not debatable that you can't keep the economy shut down until a cure or vaccine is available. It is also not debatable that it would be unacceptable to do absolutely nothing and pretend the virus doesn't exist. A balance must be found once we (hopefully soon) reach the tail of the curve of the current outbreak.
Some may disagree with you. It's the foolish idiots that refuse to listen to don't roam stay at home orders to flatten the curve. There has been talk to by some experts that can ruffle some feathers. If we want to flatten the curve then then the economy will be flattened also.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We did after all......follow up the "Spanish Flu" with the "Roaring Twenties".

Problem was....we followed up the "Roaring Twenties" with the "Great Depression"
Yeah...biggest war in history, massive largesse, massive economic turmoil, biggest war in history (again)...

Don’t like that particular pattern.

People say the 1970’s were horribly boring...but at least the problems were “minor”....unless you were Irish ☘️

GoofGoof

Premium Member

For the record, I wasn’t referring to you when talking about parroting. There are multiple opinions and it’s valid to discuss all aspects. In this case I think we are getting too much into the same old debate which isn’t allowed in this thread. We should all move on. :)

SorcererMC

My favorite is the chart that shows the levels of protection against viruses each mask provides posted as an excuse not to wear one. How about we ALL wear one and protect each other?
Not accurate. The person who posted that chart said they were concerned that the make-shift mask their at-risk loved one was using wasn't good enough.

Animaniac93-98

There are multiple opinions and it’s valid to discuss all aspects.

Absolutely, but there has been a spike in new/reactivated accounts since this crisis started, and they often parrot wrong information and/or try and downplay the severity of the pandemic.

Regardless of whether or not my conspiracy is true, those kinds of posts are not helpful.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hmm. I don't want to wade into a political discussion lest I violate the board rules. So I won't discuss specific points or issues. However, Nobel prize or not, I wouldn't trust Paul Krugman if he told me that a dollar was 100 cents.

That being said, I agree with the basic premise that we should not be rushing to open things back up again too quickly.
That seems like a classic case of “I don’t like the smart guy”...

...then in the next Paragraph quoting the smart guy 🤨

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom