Trip Report A very late, CD (Corona Driven), TR with a twist

Hi All!

Explanations of the title first.
A very late-this trip was December 2018.
CD (Corona Driven)-I'm a combination of bored and terrified and need a diversion so I am dragging out an old trip to write about!
Not to be all dramatic on the terrified part, but some of you may remember from my trip report from November of 19, that my husband is being treated for colon cancer. Well since that report his cancer has worsened a little and he is back on the more frequent higher dose chemo. He is doing absolutely great, that's not the problem. He's driving his John Deere around and playing in the yard. The problem is. I'm a physician and have to go into my nursing homes twice a week and very worried about bringing something home with me. The rest of the week I'm home on lock down like everyone else, hence the bored part!
Trip report with a twist-Anyone reading is more than welcome to put any of your own photos in that might match up with the locations in my report. I was hoping people would enjoy a reason to pull out their own photos and post them, to reminisce of happier times! And all gifs welcome and appreciated.

Before we get to any of the frivolity and fun.
I want to thank anyone who is working to make all humans have a better/easier time right now. This will be an incomplete list but-all hospital and medical care settings, nurses, aides, dietitians, therapists, doctors, emt's. All grocers, store employees, factory workers, sanitation workers, teachers, manufactures, delivery people of all types. Truckers, gas station attendants, and food service individuals. There is no way this list is complete and as you respond, please add any positions you can think of so we all remember as we hunker down, others are working and could be at risk so we can be a little safer. (And in turn hopefully keep others safe).

Now on to the fun part!
Who-Myself Cindy and my husband Gary. My son Seth and his friend from high school, Emily.
Where/When-We had a split stay at AK Kidani and Bay lake, Dec 17-21. (And ps when we're all worried about Covid I shouldn't be whining about anything), but I'm going to. Never ever, if I can avoid it will I do a split stay again, I know some people like them, but hopefully the first and last for me. More to come on that later.

Day 1
This was my first trip since I became (mostly) retired. I work part time now as above. My staff bought me this shirt and I had to show it off!
Ready to head to the airport at 5:20 am. Yuck. But somehow headed to Disney at 5:20 am never seems so bad!
IMG_9481.JPG

Seth and Emily as we wait for our Southwest flight to take off. If you have read my other trip reports you know I have trained my kids that it is so much quicker to just let me get the photo, pretend you don't mind, and we'll move on!
IMG_9484.JPG

We had an uneventful and more important, on time flight from Pittsburgh to MCO.
Seth and Emily as we arrived at the beautiful AKL. Love this place.
IMG_9485.JPG

We had received our room ready txt on the way there, nice and early, so my pictures aren't so great as the kids were rushing me to go see our room.
The tree looks so much prettier in person. but, I have always loved these lights.
IMG_9487.JPG

IMG_9488.JPG

And with all of the rushing around, I didn't even get any pictures of the room. And it was really nice with a savannah facing view. Sorry.

We threw our stuff in the room and headed out to our first park. Next up, Hollywood Studios!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
While we are not saving lives, unemployment professionals are working 7 days a week to process claims, resolve problems and answer questions. 👍
Let me correct you. You guys are incredibly important. The ability to continue paying your rent, buying groceries and medicines could be life saving. Thank you. I'm sure you guys are so stressed. And I personally thank you, my daughter was laid off of her job 2 weeks ago, she lives in California.
And I'm glad you're here and hope you get a few minutes of fun out of this TR!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
So sorry about Gary. He has you in his corner (and us) so how could he not prevail???

I am very happy about this trip report😀
And, I would like to add my local wine purveyor to your list of people to thank🍷
Thanks. He's doing ok so far. If your middle name is Grumpy how could you not do well?!
Glad you're following along.
And definitely agree! Let's extend that to wine, spirits, etc.....

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 1 continued-

So we all headed out, and Gary realized he had left his Magic Band in the room. Luckily our room was fairly close to the lobby.
Seth (sort of) hustled back to grab it, and we decided to take an Uber instead of the buses. The reason is this was when you still had the 832 mile walk from the bus drop off to the entrance and Gary's knees don't care for that so much. And me being a practical (and kind) woman would rather wear him out in the park than in the parking lot! 🤣

We got into the park without incident and the kids wanted to stop in the first store on the left. Seth forgot his sun glasses and wanted to grab a new pair. (I forget the name of the store, if anyone remembers please tell us). While they were shopping I was outside and got to enjoy the Stormtroopers walking by. I am so annoyed because it was a great little video but I can't get it to upload properly.

We were a little hungry and wanted a snack. It was hilarious because Seth thought he had a bad guy Star Wars thing going with his new jacket.
IMG_9501.JPG

But, I had to explain to him that the BB8 sippy cup sort of ruined it!
IMG_9498.JPG

Em got the Toy Story guy popcorn bucket, and I got the Pluto.
The big kids went off to use our first FP which was for Star Tours while Gary "minded" the little kids! Apparently they were acting up!
IMG_9505.JPG

After that we headed towards a fan favorite. But, first a few holiday decor photos.
IMG_9517.JPG

I think these are sooooo cute!
IMG_9518.JPG

We decided to drop in!
IMG_E9507.JPG

And then Seth and Emily used the single rider line for another favorite! (I was given the very professional "don't be stupid" recommendation by my supposed friend a neurologist) to not ride with some neck issues. What do they know anyway?!
IMG_9508.PNG

This is what happens when you try to post a report well over a year old. I can't find the PP original and I can't find Emily's ride photo.
Oh well.

Next up was real food! Everyone gets to pick a restaurant during the stay that they want and Seth's request was anything Italian. So Mama Melrose it is! We had an excellent meal and because this was before I was comfortable doing TR's, I don't have any photos. But, I do remember it being an excellent meal.

After this we headed for one of my new favorites to use our last FP!

DisneyGigi

Great idea! We all need a little bit of joy and distraction right now. I don’t even at this point remember the last time I left home.

My grandson so wanted that alien bucket, but all they had when we were there was the Pluto. Which he is eating pretzels from as I type lol

I will throw in Utility workers. Both my son and husband are Natural Gas and they have to work and even go places even if there are people sick in the home/business. Hubby is mostly outdoor construction but my son has to go into homes businesses and that terrifies me. Thankful to know their jobs are not likely to be at risk but also worried they will get it.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Great idea! We all need a little bit of joy and distraction right now. I don’t even at this point remember the last time I left home.

My grandson so wanted that alien bucket, but all they had when we were there was the Pluto. Which he is eating pretzels from as I type lol

I will throw in Utility workers. Both my son and husband are Natural Gas and they have to work and even go places even if there are people sick in the home/business. Hubby is mostly outdoor construction but my son has to go into homes businesses and that terrifies me. Thankful to know their jobs are not likely to be at risk but also worried they will get it.
Thanks for following along!
I just looked on ebay, they have a few reasonably priced alien popcorn buckets on there. (A few ridiculously priced as well of course).
Absolutely on the utility workers. And that led me to think of people who work in power plants and water treatment also. I just take for granted that when I flip the switch the lights will come on or water will flow! (In our case we have a well, but you know what I mean).

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Day 1 continued-

So we set off for Toy Story Land.
Big bad Buzz was out! Love his hat. And I didn't even realize what was hanging on the tinker toys till just now. How cute!
IMG_9511.JPG

We weren't in a hurry and it was a beautiful sunny day so stop for a PP photo we did!
Sounds like a line for Galaxy's Edge, oh well!
Woody with his scarf!
IMG_9524.JPG

These 2 have been best buds all through high school. They complement each other well. He's the artist and she's the computer/math genius. They helped each other out a lot.
IMG_9526.JPG

Ohh so excited! Love this ride. Even though I have only been on it once.
IMG_9528.JPG

Really, he's very excited.
IMG_9531.JPG

Ride photo proof that he (we) all love it!
IMG_9551.JPG

Some day he'll be sorry he was such a pain in the Alien Swirling Saucer! #phonysmile
IMG_9541.JPG

Well, it had been a long but fun first day of our trip and we headed back to the hotel. We took an Uber again and were back in no time.
We went to the main lobby to check it out, get a few snacks and pick up our DP mugs.
This tree and lobby is magnificent!
IMG_9546.JPG

When we got back to our room we had a fun surprise waiting for us. My friend Meagan had this sent to our room.
She and I bonded at work when I found out she is a Disney nut like me. She is also a Disney travel agent.
It's a cooler bag and it had lots of snacks and a really cool water bottle with the castle design on it.
IMG_9548.JPG

IMG_9550.JPG

Before we got ready for bed I checked and we had walked 16,452 steps (6 miles) in less than a full day!

We need to get a great nights sleep, because tomorrow is a full day at MK and there will be both drama and fun!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Thanks for thinking of us by starting this TR! I need to get back to mine - if only to get me to put some boundaries on having a home office. As all my pictures are on my computer, I have to do the TR while sitting there ... but then when I am in front of the computer I start checking into work related things and before I know it hours have gone by again...

Good thoughts that both you and Gary stay safe!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom