Weekly Movie Night(s)

smooch

We've been starting at around 5 PM. We watch slightly out of sync if anyone starts a little late but the last 2 days me and raven have been hitting play at 5. It's on a Discord server, and we are talking through chat as of now. We could join the voice channel to talk as well but me, mickEblu, and raven all just talk about the movie and what's going on in text chat which I think is a fun way to do it and nobody has to be shy about using a voice chat if they don't want to, or being too loud over the movie. It's been fun the last two days, and I am looking forward to Pinocchio. My girlfriend and I watched it a little bit ago and she showed me a picture her dad's friend sent him of an old man on a cruise he saw that looks exactly like Geppetto. I'll try and find it and post it to give you guys a laugh, he really looked exactly like him!

1585527533110.png

Here's the photo I was talking about!

smooch

I was talking to raven during the movie and we talked about how the pirate scene with the reference to the pirates getting the key from the dog was such a fantastic execution of being meta while being subtle about it, and how Disney media nowadays is too blatant about "hey we are referencing this other thing you know isn't that cool" and it reminded me of this video I watched the other day. I wanted to share it in the thread in case anyone else here was curious, I think she brings up really good points throughout the video.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I absolutely love this film. It doesn't take itself to seriously, and the performances by Depp, Knightley, Bloom, and Rush are spectacular. I've never enjoyed any of its sequels- which got too convoluted and too long.

I love it, too. I honestly believe it’s the last great, award-worthy live-action film Disney made, which is unfortunate because this movie is nearly 20-years-old. Great plot, great characters, and nicely done and subtle references to the 1967 Disneyland ride it’s based on.

Regarding the sequels, I don’t mind Dead Man’s Chest, but any time I have the chance to watch it, I don’t, so maybe I don’t like it as much as I think I do, or at all? I fell asleep in the theater during At World’s End and I never bothered to watch it again, so there’s that. On Stranger Tides and Dead Men Tell No Tales are both duds and I have zero interest in seeing them again. Garbage.

PiratesMansion

I was talking to raven during the movie and we talked about how the pirate scene with the reference to the pirates getting the key from the dog was such a fantastic execution of being meta while being subtle about it, and how Disney media nowadays is too blatant about "hey we are referencing this other thing you know isn't that cool" and it reminded me of this video I watched the other day. I wanted to share it in the thread in case anyone else here was curious, I think she brings up really good points throughout the video.

I love Lindsay Ellis!

She has several videos focusing on the analysis of Disney films, but all of her videos are fantastic.

Sailor310

I enjoyed Onward. I've seen Pirates so many times, I hadn't really planned to watch it, but I did and really enjoyed it. "Bloody pirates!"
I had bought the extended dvd set back in the day. It had great extras.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom