Epcot Construction

Logan L

Original Poster
Does anyone know if Spaceship Earths construction and the opening of the Ratatouille ride will be delayed? Also the Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain refurbs, will they be delayed?

ThatMouse

My guess is that while contractors/construction are still allowed to work, these larger commercial projects require a large office staff that is not coming into work.

Rosanne

I really hope that Disney does not miss this golden opportunity to refurbish and update their parks. Really !! I cannot believe this could be a money issue. I'm sure Disney is "good for it" if they need a loan altho I'm sure they must have an established account for maintenance. They have always said its hard to work there with the parks open all of the time. But, now here is their big change to take advantage of a bad situation.

JustAFan

If the entire country has been strongly encouraged to avoid gatherings of more than 10 and to practice social distancing, how could we expect construction workers to work onsite where they are often in close proximity working with each other and receiving supplies? You can argue how much they're able to do in some form of isolation or distance, but 'abundance of caution' seems to be the approach everywhere else these days. We'll get through this, but until then much of what we knew as normal is on pause.

lazyboy97o

I really hope that Disney does not miss this golden opportunity to refurbish and update their parks. Really !! I cannot believe this could be a money issue. I'm sure Disney is "good for it" if they need a loan altho I'm sure they must have an established account for maintenance. They have always said its hard to work there with the parks open all of the time. But, now here is their big change to take advantage of a bad situation.
They’re not. The work stopped awhile ago.

If the entire country has been strongly encouraged to avoid gatherings of more than 10 and to practice social distancing, how could we expect construction workers to work onsite where they are often in close proximity working with each other and receiving supplies? You can argue how much they're able to do in some form of isolation or distance, but 'abundance of caution' seems to be the approach everywhere else these days. We'll get through this, but until then much of what we knew as normal is on pause.
Construction work is consistently being considered an essential activity that is allowed to continue.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The moment the shutdown of the parks order was issued, a work-at-home order was issued for all back office employees who could work at home nearly globally for all parts of Disney. There are key functions like security in the parks, call centers (but they are spreading them out) and animal care for AK, etc.. that are still showing up at their normal workplace but that's it. All construction projects were hard stopped and as of today nothing has a schedule of when it will restart. They are indeed taking this whole thing very seriously and doing everything they can for separation in every single aspect of the business and every location. It doesn't matter what the function is. Not to mention the fact that construction of a new theme park facility is absolutely not classified as essential services and as a result is being shut down and starting tonight is banned by local statute

lazyboy97o

Not to mention the fact that construction of a new theme park facility is absolutely not classified as essential services and as a result is being shut down and starting tonight is banned by local statute
Not true. “(28) Construction sites, irrespective of building type” are deemed essential in the mayor’s executive order.

ThatMouse

Cant they work from home via computer, cell & FAX?

Just another guess, Disney is not set-up to work on park construction remotely. These are such unique projects that a contractor is not going to know what some of these things are by just looking at some drawings.

lazyboy97o

Just another guess, Disney is not set-up to work on park construction remotely. These are such unique projects that a contractor is not going to know what some of these things are by just looking at some drawings.
The contractor is required to follow the construction documents, be it the drawings or the specifications. If the contract documents do not provide sufficient information then the contractor is to submit an RFI (request for information) which is a written, now digital, document.

Uh huh ... it's all real essential. Keep in mind the mayor is a politician.
Doesn't change the fact that it is allowed.

And Disney chose to shut down all construction on their property until further notice, even before that order was signed.
Yes, but that is not what you claimed.

Mickey5150

Considering the amount of people Disney is paying not to work, the amount of movie projects put on hold, the lack of theme park income, lack of movie income, I would guess Disney is going to stop any work from happening right now if they have to pay for it. Disney is set to lose a lot of money.

Rosanne

I dont think you need a lot of supervision, blueprints, construction data, drawings and specs, nor close contact with others to just pick up a paint brush and paint.

Rosanne

You mean painting blue paint over blue paint? Or white over white? I'm sure all paint has serial numbers. It cant be all that hard to get the same paint. Or maybe sanding off old cracked and peeling paint. Do you need specs for that too?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom