What's Still On and What's Now Off

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
epcot future.png

doctornick

Remember, Disney is a Conglomerate. It is not just parks and resorts. But they will have to rely on every thing else to bring in income. I also pretty certain Disney will get a good percentage of the bailout money.

Well then, maybe the social lock down will drive Disney+ subscriptions which would help the company. Unfortunately, most of the arms of the company would likely be suffering with the current state of the economy - people being shut in isn't going to help ESPN without live sports going on and they aren't going to movies, on cruises or buying toys, etc.

They need some Disney branded toilet paper...

disney4life2008

Well then, maybe the social lock down will drive Disney+ subscriptions which would help the company. Unfortunately, most of the arms of the company would likely be suffering with the current state of the economy - people being shut in isn't going to help ESPN without live sports going on and they aren't going to movies, on cruises or buying toys, etc.

They need some Disney branded toilet paper...

I don't even think a million Disney plus subscriptions would help. You are absolutely right about ESPN.

UNCgolf

I understand the dislike of stock buybacks on these pages, but it's not the same as just "not saving" or spending money on frivolous things for an individual person. It's more eqivalent to paying off your mortgage early than buying an unneeded car.

I mean, if the issue is that stick buybacks has limited available cash, couldn't the company just.... sell more stock to raise money? Yes, it might not be sold for as much as it was bought, but it still would be an avenue to raise cash if needed.

At the simplest level, yes, but it's more complicated than that.

Any time a public corporation like Disney wants to sell stock they're going to have to make SEC filings regarding the offering (in most cases, no reason to get into the weeds with exceptions) and do a bunch of other work surrounding it. They can't just suddenly decide to offer up stock on a whim, and there are typically going to be legal fees and other costs involved. It's a process.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to stock buybacks -- I have money in the stock market. But there are a lot of good reasons to either re-invest some of that money in the company or hold it in cash reserves beyond just safety against a crisis like this. I think Disney went way overboard on the buybacks in a rather shortsighted manner.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

I would also say this...anything that leads to more revenue, will not cease. Hotels, merchandise, restaurants, and, obviously, anything with IP, will be a go.

Lastly, EPCOT is an eye sore...it has to get done.

What exactly is keeping epcot open though? Its the park that has the least to do. If you remove the festivals, what is left? There is little to do for their target market outside of frozen. Guardians will be great but not right now. The best thing they could do do is shut down for 2 years.

Little Green Men

What exactly is keeping epcot open though? Its the park that has the least to do. If you remove the festivals, what is left? There is little to do for their target market outside of frozen. Guardians will be great but not right now. The best thing they could do do is shut down for 2 years.
LMAO! Least to do? What? It has more restaurants, exhibits, and entertainment than all the other parks. It has the same number of rides as DHS and more than DAK, soon to have more than DHS again.

disney4life2008

LMAO! Least to do? What? It has more restaurants, exhibits, and entertainment than all the other parks. It has the same number of rides as DHS and more than DAK, soon to have more than DHS again.

LOL are you crazy? We are talking about the theme of social distancing and if decisions are made long term. Epcot is a bore! Get over it.

DarkMetroid567

I just don't see how they can leave it to suffer the fate of the Pop Century/AoA. Same thing with the DVC. I think it's a misunderstanding of the word abandonment.

I don't doubt that a lot of the material mentioned could happen, but the OP in question seems to post more things that turn out to be false rather than true; whether that's because Disney's plans frequently change or they're pulling stuff out of their behind, I don't know. Given their short temper and "mysteriously disappearing" posts, I'd take what they say with a grain of salt.

Peter Venkman

and what does this mean for prices? I have a trip booked for mid-june having paid full price for park tickets with park hopper. surely they understand that limiting rides and shutting down an entire park means they can't be charging the same amount?

UNCgolf

Considering they basically turned their target market for EPCOT into people drinking, there's still tons of stuff there to do.

It used to be Disney's best park until they butchered Future World.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is why it's hilarious when people are attacked for not having savings while also wanting to bail out huge corporations. Why should individual people bother with savings to get them through a crisis when gigantic corporations don't bother keeping cash reserves for a crisis?
This may be anecdotal...but the airline industry purchased $42.7 billion in buybacks from 2015 through FEBRUARY 2020...
...and they are asking for minimum $50 in bailouts. And their stocks have tanked...exposing how the buybacks artificially affected the legitimate stock value.

Again...all purely anecdotal.

disney4life2008

They might. There's also a lot of people signing up who may not have had it before. This is anecdotal, but my kids have had it on non-stop the past ten days or so.
Considering they basically turned their target market for EPCOT into people drinking, there's still tons of stuff there to do.

It used to be Disney's best park until they butchered Future World.

I agree but depending on how long this lasts, epcot is the most salvageable to stay closed longer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom