Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

This isn't about you. It's about ALL OF US. YOUR choices will affect those you come in contact with along with everyone they come into contact with, etc. etc. So please, either re-think your decision-making process, or stop talking about your children and what you're allowing them to do, because frankly, it's irresponsible and you shouldn't be encouraging others to behave in the same way.

Relax. It is tense times. I do not think anyone(including who this was directed at) wishes ill against anyone, and you can argue that we all do things selfishly I get it. But life comes with inherent risk. This is not quarantine to rid a disease from the world, just to help the influx of how fast the initial spread is.

The majority of people doing things imperfectly, not everyone doing it perfectly is what is going to make the difference. This goes for everything in life. Once this is all over, the young, old, immune deficient, will all still be more likely to die of other causes that are very controllable like drunk driving, distracted driving, second hand smoke and violent crimes. Life comes with inherent risk I think is the point of many and we just need to attempt, not lockdown unrealistically.

Last edited:

21stamps

I'm sorry. I can't be nice anymore.

YOU ARE WRONG. END OF STORY. You've been backtracking and changing your story and moving the goalposts throughout this entire thread. MULTIPLE PEOPLE have shown you - with facts and advice from doctors and medical experts why there is a fundamental flaw in your logic.

SIX FEET. That is the MINIMUM safe distance. Children 1) aren't capable of accurately estimating that distance, and 2) forget about safety stuff under the best conditions, let alone when something they can't see or understand is the threat.

I ABSOLUTELY GET IT. My sons have autism. Socializing is difficult for them, but they do have a few close friends that they miss terribly. Going back to school with expectations from teachers is going to be EXTRAORDINARILY difficult for them. It's going to take time to gain back the social and educational ground we're losing because of this pandemic, so please don't tell me I don't understand. My sister is recently divorced and has a daughter who is VERY active in sports and extra-curriculars - and they're staying away from everyone - no play dates.

PEOPLE MAKING POOR CHOICES ARE WHY WE WILL HAVE TO KEEP EVERYTHING CLOSED FOR MORE THAN 3 WEEKS.

You've convinced yourself that you're safe because there aren't many confirmed cases in Ohio and because you aren't being forced to self-quarantine by the state...GUESS AGAIN. We thought the same until the beginning of last week. Now there are cases popping up ALL over the place around us. We've since begun treating everyone we see as if they're carrying COVID-19 and just don't know it yet. My mother wanted to stop by yesterday to drop off a birthday card for me, and I asked her not to - because she and my husband are both at high-risk for severe symptoms.

The following is from a group of 50 Boston doctors regarding how this virus spreads... (it's far too long of a post to screenshot, but this is copied directly from their plea for people to take this seriously)

Suppose you catch the virus. You will give it to 3 other people, and they will each give it to three others, and so forth. Here is how the math works, where you, the “index case,” are the first line:
So, in just 15 steps of transmission, the virus has gone from just one index case to 14.3 million other people.

This isn't about you. It's about ALL OF US. YOUR choices will affect those you come in contact with along with everyone they come into contact with, etc. etc. So please, either re-think your decision-making process, or stop talking about your children and what you're allowing them to do, because frankly, it's irresponsible and you shouldn't be encouraging others to behave in the same way.

Not everyone is at home with their kids during this time.
Not everyone is going to make their kids sit in solitary all day.
We are going to make different choices, all of us.
We are all going to be mindful of what is going on and weigh the risks of everything we do..but many of us will make different choices in certain areas, while still being as careful as possible to the best of our ability, and in doing the best for our children depending on our situation and theirs.

You have said that you are a SAHM, and you have 2 boys. Your situation is going to be different than a full time working parent with an only child. Your outlook is going to be influenced by your own situation. We all have different circumstances in life.

DisneyCane

I haven't looked at the graphic or animation because I'm not a subscriber but the title is wrong. It didn't really spread across the US. It was introduced to various parts of the US via travel from foreign countries.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

YOU ARE WRONG. END OF STORY. You've been backtracking and changing your story and moving the goalposts throughout this entire thread. MULTIPLE PEOPLE have shown you - with facts and advice from doctors and medical experts why there is a fundamental flaw in your logic.

SIX FEET. That is the MINIMUM safe distance. Children 1) aren't capable of accurately estimating that distance, and 2) forget about safety stuff under the best conditions, let alone when something they can't see or understand is the threat.

I ABSOLUTELY GET IT. My sons have autism. Socializing is difficult for them, but they do have a few close friends that they miss terribly. Going back to school with expectations from teachers is going to be EXTRAORDINARILY difficult for them. It's going to take time to gain back the social and educational ground we're losing because of this pandemic, so please don't tell me I don't understand. My sister is recently divorced and has a daughter who is VERY active in sports and extra-curriculars - and they're staying away from everyone - no play dates.

PEOPLE MAKING POOR CHOICES ARE WHY WE WILL HAVE TO KEEP EVERYTHING CLOSED FOR MORE THAN 3 WEEKS.

You've convinced yourself that you're safe because there aren't many confirmed cases in Ohio and because you aren't being forced to self-quarantine by the state...GUESS AGAIN. We thought the same until the beginning of last week. Now there are cases popping up ALL over the place around us. We've since begun treating everyone we see as if they're carrying COVID-19 and just don't know it yet. My mother wanted to stop by yesterday to drop off a birthday card for me, and I asked her not to - because she and my husband are both at high-risk for severe symptoms.

The following is from a group of 50 Boston doctors regarding how this virus spreads... (it's far too long of a post to screenshot, but this is copied directly from their plea for people to take this seriously)

Suppose you catch the virus. You will give it to 3 other people, and they will each give it to three others, and so forth. Here is how the math works, where you, the “index case,” are the first line:
So, in just 15 steps of transmission, the virus has gone from just one index case to 14.3 million other people.

I'm not disputing anything you've said. I do have a question though. At what point do you feel like it's safe for you and your family? Is it when a vaccine is created? Or something else?

Incomudro

Congrats! I wish it weren't during a pandemic...

Thank you, but there is a more positive side.
I live in a central NJ suburb - houses are on 100 x 200' lots and up, so we are not on top of each other.
There's quite a lot of social distance - even before this broke out.
Work for me however involved boarding an express bus that was often filled to capacity.
Two rows, of paired seats with an aisle down the middle.
I took that bus (an hour and a half ride with those people) into lower Manhattan, where I would then enter the subway to ride the train into Brooklyn. Just one subway stop though.
I worked in Downtown Brooklyn where the streets are really crowded.
So, all and all - I'm really happy that my retirement happened when it did.

celluloid

Interesting from 2003. Not sure this is proven but interesting!

Well in a nutshell that is what a fever is. A fever is often a symptom of your body fighting something by "cooking" it out of your body by raising the temperature that something cannot surive in.
Also, just a reminder. The coronavirus is a term for many variations or strains of a virus that once resembled a crown(hence, the word corona) many years ago under microscope studies.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I'm not disputing anything you've said. I do have a question though. At what point do you feel like it's safe for you and your family? Is it when a vaccine is created? Or something else?
At this point, we're just being extra-safe and taking it day by day. We're going outside when it's warm enough, and we've loosened the "no rough-housing" rule in the house quite a bit because we know there's pent up energy.

The reason I'm so over people thinking "if I only do this one thing that goes against recommendations, it will be okay" is because there's SO MANY people doing that, that even 3 weeks of closures isn't even going to come close to being enough. Those same people are the ones that are going to make this last longer than it needs to. People were getting impatient with me this morning at the supermarket because I was maintaining safe distance and not moving up quickly enough for them. I really think it's going to come to severe lock-downs if we (as a whole) keep up this idiocy.

UNCgolf

Let's hope it is all worth it when we look back....

Marriott to Furlough Thousands of Corporate Jobs
Coronavirus impact worse than post-9/11 attacks, financial crisis combined, CEO says

It's going to be impossible to ever know.

If this actually works, then we will have avoided the worst case scenario so we won't know how bad it would have actually gotten.

jt04

Well in a nutshell that is what a fever is. A fever is often a symptom of your body fighting something by "cooking" it out of your body by raising the temperature that something cannot surive in.
Also, just a reminder. The coronavirus is a term for many varations or strains of a virus that once resembled a crown(hence, the word corona) many years ago under microscope studies.

Of course. But if susceptible to temps around 99° it would be a fairly easy remedy. I would think any version of the virus would be susceptible if true. Definitely easily researched and proven or not.

21stamps

We're going outside when it's warm enough, and we've loosened the "no rough-housing" rule in the house quite a bit because we know there's pent up energy.

This, right here. I am so glad you are able to do this, going outside together as a family during the day , and that your boys can rough house together to get out their energy, and have time with another child.. sincerely. I mean it, because this is a good situation even in bad times, and I know that it doesn’t make it easy, but at least they/you have each other to do those things during this time.

What I’m asking of you, is to understand that there’s countless families across this country who aren’t in that same situation. So while you’re getting frustrated by it, you can’t understand that they aren’t able to do the things you’ve listed above.
That’s all. No hard feelings, I’m saying this with the purest of intent.

Angel Ariel

No one said this is easy. Or that it's supposed to be easy. 6 feet is the minimum suggested distance, and even kids on bikes are closer together than that.
Exactly. Of course it’s not easy. On us as parents, or the kids. But as I’ve said from the beginning, I would rather be very strict with this from the beginning and have to do it for a shorter amount of time overall than have it drag on for months because of a desire to keep things “normal” for as long as possible.

but clearly around here anyway it seems too many still prioritize things like the cherry blossoms, so I fear it will end up lasting much longer for all of us as a result. And kids like my child - who is more at risk and needs the separation - will be kept out of school and away from friends for longer than they would have needed to be otherwise.

Giss Neric

I'll just focus on what is happening now instead of fearing for the future. I am spending more time with family, get food delivered from places that I have always wanted to go before but couldn't, be able to still get paid while working from home, watch more shows on TV, see stuff at my house that I never knew needed to be fixed.

VaderTron

There is a reason this person is on so many ignore lists including mine. PLEASE stop engaging them. What you say is reasonable which means they will not value it. It just makes it more frustrating to read this thread dodging all the posts replying to their ignorant ramblings.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
At this point, we're just being extra-safe and taking it day by day. We're going outside when it's warm enough, and we've loosened the "no rough-housing" rule in the house quite a bit because we know there's pent up energy.

The reason I'm so over people thinking "if I only do this one thing that goes against recommendations, it will be okay" is because there's SO MANY people doing that, that even 3 weeks of closures isn't even going to come close to being enough. Those same people are the ones that are going to make this last longer than it needs to. People were getting impatient with me this morning at the supermarket because I was maintaining safe distance and not moving up quickly enough for them. I really think it's going to come to severe lock-downs if we (as a whole) keep up this idiocy.

Definitely see where your head is at and I understand it.

I'm a supporter of the lock downs that are happening and am prepared for another two months of this (mentally may be another story, but we will do what we have to). My family and I have made it a point to go outside each day and take a nice 90 minute walk. The kids need it. They need the fresh air, they need the sun, and they need the exercise. That's just reality for my boys. We may have some quick conversations in passing or just a simple head nod or wave, but that's about the extent of everything.

But, for me, these lock downs are about staunching the spread as much as possible all at one time. There's no guarantee that even by going outside we're not going to get it. Same with going to the grocery store or getting gas or anything along those lines. This is about giving the healthcare industry a chance to catch up to this pandemic, possibly come up with treatments that could work, and get the supplies they need without overloading them with people all at once.

It basically, for me, comes down to a choice of a million people hitting them in four weeks or a million people hitting them over 12 months. The same people who might be hospitalized will be hospitalized, but it being spread over twelve months makes it more manageable and more likely that the people at the end of those twelve months will receive better care because the doctors know what's going on, can treat it better, and diagnose it quicker. That, to me, is really what these lock down are about.

Now, there will definitely be those who are in lock down mode until a vaccine is out and that's their prerogative and right. Tourism industry is definitely going to take a hit as will other industries. For the sake of those people, we have to get back up and running as quickly as possible. I support shutting everything down for sixty days (and giving ample compensation to everyone for what they're giving us as a result) so that come mid-May/late-May, these businesses can get up and going in time to at least hit the summer season because a lot of businesses will have to fold if they don't. If we don't have a delicate balance and make sure our health care workers have EVERYTHING they need as quickly as possible, you're going to end up with a number of people without jobs, homeless, without food, etc. that is significantly higher than those who are dead from the coronavirus.

There is such a delicate balance here and I hope we can all accept it, bunker down, and get through with it so we're to the other side that much quicker. And from the period after then, the high risk groups will unfortunately have to play it safe until there is a vaccine or a known cure.

Angel Ariel

One thing about today is that the technology allows kids to be together in ways we never imagined. I don’t think it’s as good as being face to face but at the same time I don’t think they feel like they’re missing out as much as kids from my generation would have, right or wrong.
Exactly. When my daughter indicated she was missing a friend tonight, she used her augmentative device to write her a note. I took a screenshot of it and texted it to her friend’s mom. It made her feel so much better.

Club Cooloholic

I'm not disputing anything you've said. I do have a question though. At what point do you feel like it's safe for you and your family? Is it when a vaccine is created? Or something else? It will spread slower, but isolation measures or not it will still spread.
Social Distancing, and isolating isn't an attempt for everyone to never get the virus, it's about not letting everyone get it at same time.
Picture it like this there is a dam holding back a reservoir of water. The dam has a leak, and you can can try to fix it as best you can and let the water pour out as slowly as possible into a stream, because water always finds ways through the cracks or you can let the dam burst wide open, which will flood the valley.
Our hospitals are that valley, and they can't take a flood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom