Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

I think it's totally okay people are disappointed that they cannot go to these things that they've been looking forward to. How much energy on these boards goes into looking forward to and planning Disney vacations?

I mean, yes, keep it in perspective, but also allow people to feel their feelings about things they were looking forward to that can no longer happen.
I agree with you. Everyone has a right to feel how they want. Of course people will be disappointed if a trip they had planned for years doesn’t happen. I would feel the same. Knowing that some will have it much worse then us planning to reschedule is what I meant.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Don't disagree with any of that - the disease will overwhelm our medical facilities in the short term and more than likely cause every issue you raise.

That being said, what is our appetite for both economic devastation and panic to slightly or
even moderately improve those situations?

Is it worth shutting down society, causing panic so that grocery stores are overwhelmed, and people are fighting over toilet paper? For the market to lose trillions of value, for hundreds of thousands if not millions to lose their jobs and financial stability?

Is all of that worth it so that hospitals are not temporarily overwhelmed and there isn't some collateral loss of lives due to lack of care?

Again, all "abundance of caution" has a price. We should be openly and clearly debating that price and what we are getting for it.
Now we are finally on the same page. Without extreme measures the hospitals would be overrun. We now agree on that...finally.

As far as whether it is worth it, my opinion is most definitely yes. I will take grocery stores overwhelmed and lack of TP over hospitals overwhelmed and lack of hospital beds and ventilators. I’m not sure how old you are but we have been through recessions and stock market crashes and things will improve again. In my adult life we have survived 9/11 and the economic crash after that and obviously the 2008 Great Recession. The stock market has lost trillions...trillions that it made over the last couple of years. Even with this massive drop the Dow is still at the level it was in early 2017. Post 9/11 it only took a matter of months for the market to start its recovery. With the right economic stimulus he markets will recover. On unemployment that’s going to be a problem. People will be laid off. Businesses will go under. The economic world will not end. Our economy was very strong before this. Unemployment was at record lows. Post 2008 crash unemployment ballooned well over 10%. It was a tough time. It took several years for recovery. The government stepped up and the same will happen again. We won’t dig out of this in a month but it’s also not like the world is ending because people aren’t going to Denys or WDW for a few weeks or a month.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If people continue to go out to party or have their kid's birthday parties or ignore government recommendations not to go out except for groceries and work then the lockdown can continue for a long time which does much more damage to jobs and the economy.

Yep...everyone pretty much has to be all in for it to work properly. Otherwise everyone has to do the "opposite"....everyday life go on as normal and isolate only the elderly and sick. As we can see, most of the world is attempting the former.

Jwink

Now we are finally on the same page. Without extreme measures the hospitals would be overrun. We now agree on that...finally.

As far as whether it is worth it, my opinion is most definitely yes. I will take grocery stores overwhelmed and lack of TP over hospitals overwhelmed and lack of hospital beds and ventilators. I’m not sure how old you are but we have been through recessions and stock market crashes and things will improve again. In my adult life we have survived 9/11 and the economic crash after that and obviously the 2008 Great Recession. The stock market has lost trillions...trillions that it made over the last couple of years. Even with this massive drop the Dow is still at the level it was in early 2017. Post 9/11 it only took a matter of months for the market to start its recovery. With the right economic stimulus he markets will recover. On unemployment that’s going to be a problem. People will be laid off. Businesses will go under. The economic world will not end. Our economy was very strong before this. Unemployment was at record lows. Post 2008 crash unemployment ballooned well over 10%. It was a tough time. It took several years for recovery. The government stepped up and the same will happen again. We won’t dig out of this in a month but it’s also not like the world is ending because people aren’t going to Denys or WDW for a few weeks or a month.
My issue is the foreclosures and evictions we will see. Families... etc. my family included. What stimulus will be made for them to ensure they don’t lose their homes/cars etc?!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What stimulus will be made for them to ensure they don’t lose their homes/cars etc?!

Even if Congress passes specific legislation to deal with issues like these, there are no assurances. Which is why there is a strong chance this will have a lasting effect years down the road...

Jwink

Even if Congress passes specific legislation to deal with issues like these, there are no assurances. Which is why there is a strong chance this will have a lasting effect years down the road...
We worked for years and years to build our credit, secure a down payment.... worked so hard to get a house to raise our kids in. Apartments here are more expensive than our house. I have no idea what we are going to do if my husband doesn’t get paid for months.

Jwink

I am assuming the government and 1% who own 99% of the wealth will help out because if they don't there's the danger of social unrest. I just wouldn't get too stressed out about it because it's out of your control and getting too stressed leads to sickness.
A) I hope you’re right
B).... don’t I know it. I’ve struggled with clinical anxiety my entire life. I see a counselor on and off but I’ve never been on meds. My anxiety is usually related to health issues so I’m getting a double dose of anxiety- scared of the virus AND scared of ‘what if’. I’m not on meds because I’m nursing my daughter.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Not really. It’s being responsible to get 8 weeks of toilet paper and food (that’s not that much) because you will use it anyway. No more and no less than that.

it’s also more efficient than wasting hours and hours going from store to store looking for even one 4 pack of toilet paper because it’s all sold out.

8 weeks of food and other necessities for in some cases a family of four or more?

Rimmit

Nothing particularly is wrong with Ohio. They are either being proactive or overreactive depending on your point of view. Ohio cases and trajectory roughly mirrors everywhere else.

“Everything we do before seems like an overreaction, yet when we look back everything we did just wasn’t enough.”

I am paraphrasing a quote I heard from somewhere, but this is the one case where you will only ever know if it’s wasn’t enough. Sadly any over preparation will be billed as an overreaction. I only hope and pray this in an overreaction.

Kevin_W

Saw this bozo and his medical sidekick do an interview. When pressed to explain the methodology, DeWine deferred to his medical sockpuppet, she could explain nothing about the methodology by which the conclusion was derived. Her best explanation was " I am tired, I cannot remember the details." Well sugar britches, before you get on national tv with such a claim, you better damn well have your story straight. How anyone could get on national TV and claim their state has more infected individuals than the entire world (at that time) without having an iron clad analysis to back it up? Its beyond me. The host should have thrown them off the air.

This was the most blatant attempt to create panic I have seen yet.

I saw that interview with the "I was tired" quote. It was horrible. I'm agreed that when you go on TV and claim that Ohio has more infected people than the rest of the world you need a pretty deep explanation.

ifan

Be careful trusting any numbers at this point until testing is ramped by end of week. And even then, the results are very much lagged. Family member's hospital had more positive test results in one day than the state announced for the entire state. The numbers don't match up. They are much higher.

Assume the virus is already everywhere and in large numbers - but most people are asymptotic or with mild symptoms.

Emergency Departments across the country are already being crushed at triage - PLEASE do not visit the ED unless it is an emergency. Most people coming in asking for testing would be better off calling their mom. Call your physician first. Most are doing Telehealth visits and can screen your symptoms. The good news is that the ICU's have not seen the expected surge yet in the US. We still have additional time to prepare for that. I just wish we had more PPE (protective equipment) - but every country around the world has a shortage right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My issue is the foreclosures and evictions we will see. Families... etc. my family included. What stimulus will be made for them to ensure they don’t lose their homes/cars etc?!
There will be a stimulus. Probably a massive one. That doesn’t mean there won’t be hard times and some people who are deeply impacted. It’s impossible to say exactly what the economic impact will be right now. As I said before, we have survived economic downturn in the past and we will survive this one too. There’s a lot of people hyping up how bad the impact is going to be mainly because this type of lockdown is unprecedented, but it doesn’t mean the worst case is going to happen. For now there is nothing we can do but stay safe and healthy and follow what the experts are telling us to do.

Your situation is exactly why an industry like the airlines gets a bailout. I know you work for Disney but there are people similar to you who work for an airline. If we just let them fail lots of workers living pay check to pay check will be impacted. Airlines failing will also have a trickle down impact on other industries. A whole lot of guests who visit WDW get there by plane. If the cost to fly triples or airlines stop un ing flights from cities WDW and all tourist destinations would suffer greatly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom